Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Perfectly square iceberg baffles the Internet

UM-Bot

12 hours ago, toast said:

Borgs on vacation.

Iceborgs?

"you will be iceimmilated!"

sorry.

• Haha 6

17 minutes ago, Glacknor said:

Iceborgs?

"you will be iceimmilated!"

sorry.

Does that mean extremely icy...ass...imilated or not too ici..ly...ass...imilated ?

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 22/10/2018 at 12:29 AM, RoofGardener said:

Fake news. 

"Sexed-up" twitter picture... 

DXH_ijKW4AA5pEW.jpg

For pete's sake people.. this is bull****E !

< sigh> 

Roof, are you doing Trump impressions?

I've done a little digging, and that image seems to be 100% legit.  Photo source is Gary Tutte, a well-known cinematographer, and sources like this:
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/canada-uncovered-garry-tutte-canadian-explorer-content-producer-director-canada-c3-expedition-reconciliation-diversity-inclusion-youth-engagement-environment-toronto-victoria-british-columbia-newfoundland-arctic-nunavut/100971
...show that pic amongst many others.

And then there's Gary's own Twitter feed - the image can be found if you scroll down to Feb 28.

https://twitter.com/garrytutte?lang=en

I did have my doubts initially, but, just like the majority of Trumps 'fake news' squealings, it's NOT fake.  REAL news.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Roof, are you doing Trump impressions?

I've done a little digging, and that image seems to be 100% legit.  Photo source is Gary Tutte, a well-known cinematographer, and sources like this:
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/canada-uncovered-garry-tutte-canadian-explorer-content-producer-director-canada-c3-expedition-reconciliation-diversity-inclusion-youth-engagement-environment-toronto-victoria-british-columbia-newfoundland-arctic-nunavut/100971
...show that pic amongst many others.

And then there's Gary's own Twitter feed - the image can be found if you scroll down to Feb 28.

https://twitter.com/garrytutte?lang=en

I did have my doubts initially, but, just like the majority of Trumps 'fake news' squealings, it's NOT fake.  REAL news.

Yup - this was down to confusion earlier in the post, wherein the above picture was presented as being the new iceberg, which - of course - it isn't. It's an archive photo of ANOTHER (much smaller) iceberg. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2018-10-21 at 4:50 PM, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Your ice cubes may be square, but they're not big. Size matters.

That's what she said it wasn't long but it was wide.;-)

I'm sorry it's a fake.  I was watching for a large IT WAS ALIENS!!!!  There went all my fun.

On 21/10/2018 at 3:29 PM, RoofGardener said:

Fake news. 

1) the picture of the icebreaker ship with the iceberg is a photoshop fake. Compare it with the earlier pictures of the "iceberg" surrounded by ice fragments. 

2) No NASA source has shown this picture. 

People.. it's a fake. 

Alleged (but not substantiated) "NASA" picture. 

DpuMLroXUAAtKPc.jpg

"Sexed-up" twitter picture... 

DXH_ijKW4AA5pEW.jpg

For pete's sake people.. this is bull****E !

< sigh> 

This is not fake news, it is rare news because, they are rare.

This is know as a tabular berg:

These types of icebergs are formed when a large chunk of an ice shelf snaps off clean from the larger ice shelf and remain upright and whole as drifts.

Smaller non-tabular icebergs are usually much smaller and take on pyramid, dome, or wedge-like shapes. The slate-like tabular bergs are several times longer than they are tall, and when they break free from an ice shelf the calving can be remarkably straight, as was the case for this particular iceberg.

https://bgr.com/2018/10/22/square-icebergs-antarctica-larsen-ice-shelf/

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, paperdyer said:

I'm sorry it's a fake.  I was watching for a large IT WAS ALIENS!!!!  There went all my fun.

It is not a fake, it is a rare but not unknown of tabular berg. See above post. 

• Like 1

Then don't use any thermite!

That's nothing. I was at Shoup park a long time ago with a friend and we were just hanging out. I looked up at the sky and there was a rectangular cloud about the same size as the iceberg above with no outline at all. Instead it was perfectly symmetrical round balls of cloud in a rectangular pattern. As I recall we both acted like that was normal lol.

Edited by devilmaycare
  • Haha 1

Is it really perfectly square??? :huh: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, taniwha said:

Is it really perfectly square??? :huh: 

Nope.  If you check out the videos (see link in Saru's post, there's a longer one out there too), you'll see that they have chosen the angle carefully.  They are at best squar-ish at some of the corners, and only from some angles.  Crystalline water (aka ice) does have some linear characteristics, so, especially if it is of even thickness and large (ie big areas of floating ice where the sea has gradually frozen), it will tend to break in straight-ish lines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While I totally believe this to be natural, I can understand if someone would  think that this was carved by man.

• Like 1

Not sure how many people had seen the video from 2008

Edited by johncbdg
  • Like 1