Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Monkeys stone man to death

Eldorado

A 72-year-old man died in Uttar Pradesh’s Baghpat district on Thursday after a troop of monkeys rained bricks on him from a treetop.

According to the police, the incident happened in Tikri village when the man had gone to fetch dry wood for ‘havan’ and was hurled with bricks on the head and chest by the monkeys, the Times of India reported. The deceased has been identified as Dharampal Singh.

Now, Singh’s family wants to lodge an FIR and name the monkeys as accused.

When the police registered the case as an ‘accident’, the family was not happy and demanded intervention by higher authorities in the case.

Full article: https://www.news18.com/news/india/up-man-stoned-to-death-by-monkeys-cops-in-a-fix-as-family-wants-fir-against-the-simians-1914405.html

:(

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

Did he utter the word 'Jehovah' maybe? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

The monkeys were well trained to wait for the whistle ... they heard a whistle ...

~

3 minutes ago, The Caspian Hare said:

Another way you will never read about me dying.

Wish I could say that with the same degree of certainty, but having been attacked by squirrels in the same manner (okay so they threw teeny tiny pebbles, not bricks), I am only too aware of what some animals will do to protect themselves and/or their territories. Not sure what taking them to court will accomplish though.

• Like 2

Humankind has been throwing rocks, and much worse, at monkeys for hundreds if not thousands of years

~

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Why in the world would they have bricks in the treetops ?   Sound like Pre-meditated murder !    Weird.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, lightly said:

Why in the world would they have bricks in the treetops ?   Sound like Pre-meditated murder !    Weird.

It probably is very much is premeditated. Some zoo chimps, for example, have been observed stockpiling rock 'weapons' which they use to attack visitors. The monkeys in this instance may have stockpiled bricks as a means of self-defense or as a way of attacking anyone violating their territorial space.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Do these monkeys feel threatened in any way, or are they just outright thugs?

It's actually a little bit of both. Without reading the article, i'm sure it's either a type of vervet or more likely macaque monkey. These are know as "weed species", which, like weeds, will overpopulate any area they can get a foothold in and exploit and upset the biological/ecological balance. These monkeys are habituated to humans and have no qualms getting right up in peoples faces and attacking or stealing from them, rather than the expected flight response to a much larger predator. So they may have been threatened by his approach so close to their group, but they're also dicks.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

When even the gorillas can't stand them, that tells the whole tale right there and then

~

• Like 4

18 hours ago, third_eye said:

Humankind has been throwing rocks, and much worse, at monkeys for hundreds if not thousands of years

~

so the monkeys got even and went ape chit?

16 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

It probably is very much is premeditated. Some zoo chimps, for example, have been observed stockpiling rock 'weapons' which they use to attack visitors. The monkeys in this instance may have stockpiled bricks as a means of self-defense or as a way of attacking anyone violating their territorial space.

I don't believe the story.   It is one thing for a chimpanzee to throw his own feces or pick up an object such as a rock and throw it.  It is quite a different thing for a troup of monkeys to each pick up bricks, carry them into the trees, for the purpose of raining them down on an intruder.  That would require cognitive thought process and communication of such which monkeys do not have the brains for.  Nor do they have the mental determination to pick up a bomb and drop it on a passerby.  

I think it is much more likely that the authorities are trying to clear that part of the jungle for their own nefarious purposes and are using guerillas not monkeys to do their bidding.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, joc said:

I don't believe the story.   It is one thing for a chimpanzee to throw his own feces or pick up an object such as a rock and throw it.  It is quite a different thing for a troup of monkeys to each pick up bricks, carry them into the trees, for the purpose of raining them down on an intruder.  That would require cognitive thought process and communication of such which monkeys do not have the brains for.  Nor do they have the mental determination to pick up a bomb and drop it on a passerby.  

I think it is much more likely that the authorities are trying to clear that part of the jungle for their own nefarious purposes and are using guerillas not monkeys to do their bidding.

There's a possibility you could be right. I don't know enough about the behaviour of monkeys to argue it one way or another. But Macaques show metacognition (thinking about their own thoughts) and so perhaps they are capable of more than we know.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/monkeys-can-think-about-thinking-too/

• Like 3

"Rise of The Planet of MONKEYS"  well the guy was going for Fire wood and just went to the wrong tree. I had a Squirrel Monkey Decades ago and it would throw anything it got it's little hands on, so I could see it happening.  Just imagine if all animals got tired of all the Crap Humans do to them and have done, they could just wipe us out.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2018 at 2:05 PM, lightly said:

It's evolution. Our ape overlords are preparing for battle.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

so the monkeys got even and went ape chit?

Let Robbo swing you around a bit ...

~

[00.03:32]

~

On 10/21/2018 at 9:38 AM, The Caspian Hare said:

Another way you will never read about me dying.

Oh, they might get me but I'd take a hell of a lot of them with me :w00t:

19 minutes ago, and then said:

Oh, they might get me but I'd take a hell of a lot of them with me :w00t:

Depends where the first brick hits you...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Timothy said:

Depends where the first brick hits you...

Yeah, I guess you're right.  The whole thing seems a little sketchy, though.  I've heard of monkeys throwing everything from fruit to feces but never rocks.  I think maybe it was a hired hit ;) 

6 minutes ago, and then said:

Yeah, I guess you're right.  The whole thing seems a little sketchy, though.  I've heard of monkeys throwing everything from fruit to feces but never rocks.  I think maybe it was a hired hit ;) 

Yeah it does sound sketchy, and I’m glad you used the word ‘sketchy’ (life memories).

But I too have not read the article yet. Maybe I will now.

Edit: The linked article is horrible. Who knows what happened.

Edited by Timothy
Edit.

On 2018-10-21 at 8:52 AM, third_eye said:

That’s why we are driving Teslas and going to space while they are still flinging poop lol 

16 hours ago, joc said:

The story may be suspect, but you woud be surprised what some monkeys get up to. There's good data to suggest that several species of cercopithicenes have culture. 

1 minute ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

The story may be suspect, but you woud be surprised what some monkeys get up to. There's good data to suggest that several species of cercopithicenes have culture. 

To what extent?  To the extent of communicating to every other monkey in the troup to pick up a brick, carry it up into a tree and throw it at an intended target....If that's documented please show me...I'd like to see it.

9 minutes ago, joc said:

To what extent?  To the extent of communicating to every other monkey in the troup to pick up a brick, carry it up into a tree and throw it at an intended target....If that's documented please show me...I'd like to see it.

It's not outside the realm of possibility. Habituated monkeys often copy human behavior. And monkeys love to throw things.

• Like 1