Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's longest sea-crossing bridge completed

Eldorado

The world's longest sea-crossing bridge connecting Hong Kong and Macau to Zhuhai, south-east China is set to finally open this week, nine years after construction began.

The much anticipated Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge will open to traffic on Wednesday 9am local time. Chinese President Xi Jinping is expected to attend an opening ceremony on Tuesday in Zhuhai.

Construction started in 2009 on the massive crossing, which includes a snaking road bridge and underwater tunnel, linking Hong Kong's Lantau island to the southern mainland Chinese city of Zhuhai and the gambling enclave of Macau, across the waters of the Pearl River Estuary.

Full monty & nice pics: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6302317/Hong-Kong-Zhuhai-Macau-Bridge-Worlds-longest-sea-crossing-open-week-China.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why does it remind me of a scene from HHG2TG .... ?!  I just hope they don't ask Marvin to open it ..... I can just see it spontaneously folding up its glittering spans and sinking weeping into the mire, taking everybody with it ....

And on a serious note, I wouldn't want to be half way across when a Super Typhoon hits!

• Like 1

Amazing. 

• Like 1

I can sometimes feel a bit uneasy when crossing large stretches of water, I'm usually glad to get to the other side. I don't think I'd do too well on that length of bridge!  It's a great piece of engineering though.

• Like 2

Now opened! ....but it's not all smiles, apparently.

"Can anyone drive across the bridge?

No. Those who want to cross the bridge must obtain special permits, allocated by a quota system. And all vehicles will pay a toll.

The bridge is not served by public transport, so private shuttle buses will also ply the route. There is no rail link.

Authorities initially estimated that 9,200 vehicles would cross the bridge every day. They later lowered their estimations after new transport networks were built in the region.

What are people saying about it?

There's been a great deal of criticism of the project.

The bridge has been dubbed the "bridge of death" by some local media. At least nine workers on the Hong Kong side have died and officials told BBC News Chinese that nine had died on the mainland side, too.

Hundreds of workers have also been injured during the construction."

Full article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-45937924

• Like 1