Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's oldest intact shipwreck discovered

UM-Bot

That's pretty awesome. Maybe it could be brought up intact if we encased it in or permeated it with some kind of polymer...Like when they plasticize corpses for those Body exhibits you don't see anymore. I don't think that'd be possible to do to a whole ship that's under water, though.

From the article: ""A ship surviving intact from the classical world, lying in over 2km of water, is something I would never have believed possible," said expedition principal investigator Professor Jon Adams."

Divers in the video are at 2,000+ meters deep?

Wonder if it should have read feet...

"An atmospheric diving suit allows very deep dives of up to 2,000 feet (610 m). These suits are capable of withstanding the pressure at great depth permitting the diver to remain at normal atmospheric pressure. This eliminates the problems associated with breathing high-pressure gases."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_diving

Edited by Almighty Evan
Removed blank line

I was also wondering how the sea water didn't dissolve the wood after all this time.

And to be a smarta$$ to AllPossible - It sank because it took on water. - Sorry it's been one of those days.  I can't believe the hassle of buying a house now as compared to when I moved south in 1983.  It would drive anyone to drink.  Luckily for me, it's a short drive!

It is thought that the environment of the Black Sea, which is unable to support the types of organisms that typically feed on wooden shipwrecks, has played a major role in the preservation of the vessels.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/322642/worlds-oldest-intact-shipwreck-discovered

As the title says, this fascinating find is the oldest, but it is not the only one found, infact, there have been many

41 well-preserved shipwrecks spanning over a thousand years of history, from the ninth century to the 19th century.

In most seawater, wood and rope are among the first things to decay. But the unusual water chemistry of the Black Sea dramatically slows rates of disintegration.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/relay.nationalgeographic.com/proxy/distribution/public/amp/2016/10/black-sea-shipwreck-discovery

4 hours ago, AllPossible said:

Wonder what made it sink..

Iceberg?

No, generally from what Ive read on the early trading ships the sides of them arent very high. Quite often they would get caught in bad storms and it took little for a wave to get over the sides and take on water and topple them. If they had an uneven or heavy weight of cargo... vessels etc it was worse. 

But other explanations I suppose could be black sea triangle, giant squid, jaws, sea serpant, sabotage, time paradox torpedo attack....

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, paperdyer said:

I was also wondering how the sea water didn't dissolve the wood after all this time.

And to be a smarta$$ to AllPossible - It sank because it took on water. - Sorry it's been one of those days.  I can't believe the hassle of buying a house now as compared to when I moved south in 1983.  It would drive anyone to drink.  Luckily for me, it's a short drive!

Not a scientist, so take this with some salt, but...

I believe the water at the bottom of the Black Sea is very low in oxygen, so very little lives there to decompose the wood.

--Jaylemurph

Did some work on the photo.*  You will love this full zoom! -- click for the link, then click again for the max. zoom!

* PHOTO CREDIT: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/oct/23/oldest-intact-shipwreck-thought-to-be-ancient-greek-discovered-at-bottom-of-black-sea

Edited by MyOtherAccount
  • Thanks 1