Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can a drug reduce xenophobia?

OverSword

The name of the study:

Oxytocin-enforced norm compliance reduces xenophobic outgroup rejection

Significance

In the midst of rapid globalization, the peaceful coexistence of cultures requires a deeper understanding of the forces that compel prosocial behavior and thwart xenophobia. Yet, the conditions promoting such outgroup-directed altruism have not been determined. Here we report the results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled experiment showing that enhanced activity of the oxytocin system paired with charitable social cues can help counter the effects of xenophobia by fostering altruism toward refugees. These findings suggest that the combination of oxytocin and peer-derived altruistic norms reduces outgroup rejection even in the most selfish and xenophobic individuals, and thereby would be expected to increase the ease by which people adapt to rapidly changing social ecosystems.

Link

This is scary.  This is a study on drugging people to make them less xenophbic using oxytocin, one of the drugs already currently ruining our society.  Edited by me crossed out incorrect info.  Thanks Farmer. The rest of the study is a true Brave New World horror show.  Mediabiasfactcheck.com list's the source website as follows.

PRO-SCIENCE

These sources consist of legitimate science or are evidence based through the use of credible scientific sourcing.  Legitimate science follows the scientific method, is unbiased and does not use emotional words.  These sources also respect the consensus of experts in the given scientific field and strive to publish peer reviewed science. Some sources in this category may have a slight political bias, but adhere to scientific principles. See all Pro-Science sources.

Factual Reporting: VERY HIGH

Source

This is some true nightmare stuff and shows you just how messed up the people trying to run and to change our world really are.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, OverSword said:

This is some true nightmare stuff and shows you just how messed up the people trying to run and to change our world really are.

What good are sober, enlightened people to a global elite who only crave more control? The really scary part is this agenda would easily be pushed by the useful idiots in the Progressive movement. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, OverSword said:

his is scary.  This is a study on drugging people to make them less xenophbic using oxytocin, one of the drugs already currently ruining our society.  The rest of the study is a true Brave New World horror show.  Mediabiasfactcheck.com list's the source website as follows.

Oxytocin is a hormone , youre thinking of Oxycontin

Oxytocin: The Love Hormone?

Oxytocin is a hormone and a neurotransmitter that is involved in childbirth and breast-feeding. It is also associated with empathy, trust, sexual activity, and relationship-building.

It is sometimes referred to as the "love hormone," because levels of oxytocin increase during hugging and orgasm. It may also have benefits as a treatment for a number of conditions, including depression, anxiety, and intestinal problems.

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

Either way, they want to drug people to control their thoughts and reactions.  Did you click the link.  Nobody has had time to read the entire thing yet.

• Like 1

Just now, OverSword said:

Either way, they want to drug people to control their thoughts and reactions.  Did you click the link.  Nobody has had time to read the entire thing yet.

Reading it now I just noticed the error in your OP

• Thanks 1

Please note :

Experiment 1

To this end, the rationale of Experiment 1 was to generate

Experiments 2 and 3

Experiments 2 and 3 were carried out within the same randomized controlled trial

This isn't proposing an experiment, this has already been done. 

5 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Reading it now I just noticed the error in your OP

I stand corrected.

Why not? Sounds a brilliant idea. Everyone should live in peace and harmony and love themselves and each other. And of course our dear benevolent leader. :santa: 

• Like 1

This OXT sounds like it may come in handy meeting women.  Not that we don't already have many other chemicals available for that already eh?  Scary stuff. 

14 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Just for some more info to people

Oxytocin is typically called the bounding hormone.

We get tons of it through touch: hugs, cuddels, sex, etc.

It makes you feel close to a person and naturally want to protect and trust them.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

Please note :

This isn't proposing an experiment, this has already been done. 

Yeah man i just dont see the problem with the experiment. We've been trying to figure out how people's brains work forever and in today's world this kind of study seems quite relevant.

We've also been using hormones to regulate undesirable behavior for forever and noone is rushing to force that crotchety b**** next door (or that hairdresser that kicked that woman in canada)  to take them so I dont really buy into the slippery slope argument on this one either.

If you have to be drugged in order for something to seem like a good idea, then it's probably not a good idea lol

Excluding mental illness of course. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Can a drug reduce xenophobia?

Just now, spartan max2 said:

Just for some more info to people

Oxytocin is typically called the bounding hormone.

We get tons of it through touch, hugs, cuddels, sex, etc.

It makes you feel close to a person and naturally want to protect and trust them.

Yes exactly, imagine what they could do with it if, say, for instance. they were to give you a dose of it while gazing at a giant picture of the dear leader of the Free World gazing benevolently down. :wub: It really would be the most marvelous breakthrough! :cat: 

• Like 3

Just now, Vlad the Mighty said:

Yes exactly, imagine what they could do with it if, say, for instance. they were to give you a dose of it while gazing at a giant picture of the dear leader of the Free World gazing benevolently down. :wub: It really would be the most marvelous breakthrough! :cat: 

I don't care to bother sourcing it, so you have to trust me or find it yourself lol.

But they have done a study before of putting this hormone in nasal spray and then spraying it during a political rally to see if they perceived the speaker as more favorable then the control group.

I forget what the he results were, I think it was inconclusive, but you are not the only one who has thought of the application.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Yeah man i just dont see the problem with the experiment. We've been trying to figure out how people's brains work forever and in today's world this kind of study seems quite relevant.

We've also been using hormones to regulate undesirable behavior for forever and noone is rushing to force that crotchety b**** next door (or that hairdresser that kicked that woman in canada)  to take them so I dont really buy into the slippery slope argument on this one either.

Okay, you should have no problem with this then  We use this same technique to make you love Trump.  How about we make everyone okay with him being president for life?  Would that be a problem?

How can you be insane enough to not have a problem with this type of experiment?  Do you really want them to have the ability to make you love things by putting something in your water supply.

And this is far from the same as fixing the crotchety old hag next door and making her a more agreeable person.  This is targeted to making you like something specific.  You can bet your ass this was phase one and phase two is under way as we type.

Edited by OverSword
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

My hate keeps me alive and healthy and I enjoy it. It also kept me from getting ****ed a second time. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

My hate keeps me alive and healthy and I enjoy it. It also kept me from getting ****ed a second time. 

That better be a quote in your signature by the end of the week

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

That better be a quote in your signature by the end of the week

Hell yeah! Good Idea! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Okay, you should have no problem with this then  We use this same technique to make you love Trump.  How about we make everyone okay with him being president for life?  Would that be a problem?

People can't think beyond their noses on how something like this can effect them. The problem is always "the others" and how to fix "them".

• Like 2

If you show up at my house and try to drug me because you don't like my politics I will shoot you in the face.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So when can we expect them to include it with the flu vaccine?  That way they can surreptitiously dose a whole city before dropping a boatload of refugees in their midst.  But to be fair, there should be a similar drug to promote assimilation.  That would probably be more economical.  If the refugee groups would assimilate there would be no need of an anti-xenophobia drug.

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Im not suggesting we make anyone do anything.

How can you be insane enough to not have a problem with this type of experiment?  Do you really want them to have the ability to make you love things by putting something in your water supply.

Were you unaware of the effects and use of hormones until you read that article?  Hormone replacement therapy to moderate behavior is already a thing and frankly the fact that oxytocin decreases aggressive tendencies is simply not shocking in the slightest.

I have to wonder how closely this resembled the research into Clinton's alleged gay bomb years ago.

And this is far from the same as fixing the crotchety old hag next door and making her a more agreeable person.  This is targeted to making you like something specific.  You can bet your ass this was phase one and phase two is under way as we type.

What about people who want to change their worldview and the struggles caused thereby though? Should science simply stop because someone could use it for nefarious purposes?

• Like 1

Drugs don't solve anything. They are quick patches to move on and ignore the reason of a problem. (Mental disorder not included! Mostly...)

Xenophobia has a reason. It can be caused by local social confirmation bias and by childhood indoctrination, both with the same roots. Another reason can be a traumatic experience. We need to address those, not drug people.