Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

One God - Three Religions

zep73

1 hour ago, Will Due said:

See above.

This is the sign of being "closed" minded.

While I'll give you a like for your pun, I'll give you the sign that you're so open minded that you brain falls out :

41jIQMUrEPL._AC_SY400_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Will Due said:

If we're going to refer to what the Bible mentions, it's there recorded that Jesus said (in a nutshell) if you're going to look for God, don't look for him over here or look for him over there, because "the kingdom of God is within you".

Every human being is indwelt by a 'spark' of God unbidden.

In fact he stands at the inner door and knocks. Waiting.

"the kingdom of God is within you"

Without going into long details, that verse is not about some kind of Eastern "enlightenment"

'spark' of God

"Spark" sounds New Age. "Breath of life" isn't necessarily a "spark." Early Marcionites would laugh at the idea. I will never be convinced by this "spark" inside me or people in general. The Light of the Holy Spirit (as a separate occupying force within a designated human body like possession) is another story, however.  

Satan can masquerade as an angel of light, so the Good Book tells us. His minions can do the same. So, one has to be very careful about worshipping 'alien' lights. As I have mentioned before, to become a Christian, one has to be "born again," "adopted," or receive Gnosis from Christ, Himself. Gnosis is nothing like Hindu "enlightenment," at least described by early Christian texts.

Beware of lying angels.

Edited by magnum mysterium
emphasis
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, magnum mysterium said:

"the kingdom of God is within you"

The kingdom of God is within everyone.

Which is why, when you seek, you shall find.

Edited by Will Due
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

While I'll give you a like for your pun, I'll give you the sign that you're so open minded that you brain falls out :

41jIQMUrEPL._AC_SY400_.jpg

The Urantia Book is 100% accurate........

When trown from a short distance. :innocent:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Will Due said:

The kingdom of God is within everyone.

Which is why, when you seek, you shall find.

If God is within your body, why seek it?? At any rate, your take on that verse is absolutely not the position of "orthodox" Christianity. And you can include early Gnosticism.

You can believe all you want, but I go by the ancient versions of Christianity.

18 minutes ago, magnum mysterium said:

that verse is absolutely not the position of "orthodox" Christianity.

The religion of Jesus is something other than the religion about Jesus. 

Orthodox or not. 

12 minutes ago, Will Due said:

The religion of Jesus is something other than the religion about Jesus. 

Orthodox or not. 

You can say anything you want, including "the religion of Jesus"; you can even believe Jesus was buried somewhere in Kashmir. Christendom (which includes Marcionism and some forms of Gnosticism) has its rules and regulations, so to speak.

3 minutes ago, magnum mysterium said:

You can say anything you want, 

Free will baby?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Free will baby?

More like First Amendment. And free will is a vague concept for someone who has never met the "Father." Besides, I'm not an "orthodox" Christian, even though I'm more Catholic than the pope, ha ha.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, magnum mysterium said:

More like First Amendment. And free will is a vague concept for someone who has never met the "Father." Besides, I'm not an "orthodox" Christian, even though I'm more Catholic than the pope, ha ha.

Do you think the religion about Jesus is the same thing as the religion of Jesus?

10 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Do you think the religion about Jesus is the same thing as the religion of Jesus?

Christianity is about the various narratives of Jesus Christ and the hope of salvation through Him. My Christian path doesn't believe that Jesus was ever in the flesh; therefore, He never went to Tibet, etc. to catch religion or even follow one.

5 minutes ago, magnum mysterium said:

Christianity is about the various narratives of Jesus Christ and the hope of salvation through Him. My Christian path doesn't believe that Jesus was ever in the flesh; therefore, He never went to Tibet, etc. to catch religion or even follow one.

Ok thanks. 

• Like 1

On 12/5/2019 at 8:10 PM, danydandan said:

The Queen/ King can't be arrested..... I assume you are English and I am amazed you don't know this. 

As the Queen is the head of state she's can't prosecute herself. As all cases of criminal justice in England are "The Queen/King verses" whomever.

And yet the Queen cannot knowingly brake the law!

And its "The Crown" verses Whoever?

Not the same thing apparently, but I'm no expert.

13 minutes ago, magnum mysterium said:

Hi.

You don't believe Jesus was ever in the flesh?

Could you please explain this whole post a bit more?

Like, what path are you on?

9 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Like, what path are you on?

My Christian path is a mixture of Orphism and Marcionism with "orthodox" Christianity (Greco-Roman/Judeo-Christian beliefs) as its cultural "evolution," especially since I live in this current century and was baptized as such during my infancy — a VERY devout church-going Christian in my youth.

15 hours ago, magnum mysterium said:

My Christian path is a mixture of Orphism and Marcionism with "orthodox" Christianity (Greco-Roman/Judeo-Christian beliefs) as its cultural "evolution," especially since I live in this current century and was baptized as such during my infancy — a VERY devout church-going Christian in my youth.

So basically you made up your own religion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I think that is what every individual does to a certain extent. 

It's always amazed me how one book can be interpreted so many different ways.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2018 at 3:56 PM, sci-nerd said:

Judaism, christianity and islam all share the same God, but they differ in age.

Judaism is 3,000 years old
Christianity is 2,000 years old
Islam is 1,400 years old

So the question is: Is newer better? Or is older better?
Did God make mistakes that he had to correct, or are the never versions human alterations?

As I understand this God, he's perfect, error-free and makes no mistakes, but according to christianity and islam he did. Or what?

Please help this poor lost soul understand!

It is not 3 different religions is is many, many different sects of the original religion divided into 3 types (4 if you are a protestant because most protestants can't admit that catholics practice the same religion)  I know this is knit picking but it bugs me that people pretend that it is 3 different religions when it isn't.  Before chrisitanity sprung up, the judaic religion was already divided into sects (7 or 12 depending on your references), then christianity became a sect that over the last 1700 years has spilt ad infinitum as the muslim religion has split into several sects. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Religions are belief systems that may or may not be based on the core tenet of belief in a single creator. They can be wildly divergent, otherwise. The same goes for multiple instances in deification of the Sun and Moon, which can be wildly divergent in detail, as well. They don't change or accurately depict the real properties of the Sun and Moon, nor one would assume a Creator, should one exist.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

We might even talk about it once you do a little research.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, magnum mysterium said:

We might even talk about it once you do a little research.

How do I do research on something that is essentially your personal pick and mix of different religions ? Anyway where did you get the idea that I wanted to talk about it ?

Most of the major religions started out taking elements from other religions, so you are just following a long tradition.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

How do I do research on something that is essentially your personal pick and mix of different religions ? Anyway where did you get the idea that I wanted to talk about it ?

Most of the major religions started out taking elements from other religions, so you are just following a long tradition.

"How do I do research on something that is essentially your personal pick and mix of different religions ?"

You've just proven my point that my path is not "...made up," as you clearly stated earlier. And no, not "different religions" but different sects within the Christian arena.

"Anyway where did you get the idea that I wanted to talk about it ?"

You're the one who posted a reply, let's not forget, and my answer to a question wasn't even directed to you. Keep in mind that I added "might" to my previous post, especially since I do not talk about the sanctity of my path, especially not to a stranger with an attitude problem. 

Like I said, do some research about the history of Christendom, especially before you start debating people. And there is a difference between "religious appropriation" versus religious "evolution."

Later, dude.

On 12/9/2019 at 12:53 PM, magnum mysterium said:

Talk about a bastardized religion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, magnum mysterium said:

"How do I do research on something that is essentially your personal pick and mix of different religions ?"

You've just proven my point that my path is not "...made up," as you clearly stated earlier. And no, not "different religions" but different sects within the Christian arena.

"Anyway where did you get the idea that I wanted to talk about it ?"

You're the one who posted a reply, let's not forget, and my answer to a question wasn't even directed to you. Keep in mind that I added "might" to my previous post, especially since I do not talk about the sanctity of my path, especially not to a stranger with an attitude problem. 

Like I said, do some research about the history of Christendom, especially before you start debating people. And there is a difference between "religious appropriation" versus religious "evolution."

Later, dude.

He's got a point. You said "My Christian path is a mixture of Orphism and Marcionism with "orthodox" Christianity (Greco-Roman/Judeo-Christian beliefs)" which makes it near impossible to do any personal research to find out what it is you believe. Even if we understood what Orphism, Marcionism and 'orthodox' Christianity are all about, it still doesn't serve to identify what this 'mixture' is comprised of, using these "different sects within the Christian arena".

Further, how can religion 'evolve' without individuals actively appropriating beliefs?

Take, for example, cultural appropriation: " the adoption of elements of one culture by members of another culture". In this case, we are simply substituting the word "culture" for "religion". One could say that this is a form of evolution: "the gradual development of something". Religious 'evolution' usually insinuates the appropriation of ideas, beliefs and interpretations. Another example is art appropriation: "the deliberate reworking of images and styles from earlier, well-known works of art". My definition of religious appropriation: the deliberate reworking (or changing) of beliefs comprised of earlier religions, current social beliefs, opinions, personal and collective interpretations and even personal preferences.

The changing of religion is never accidental, or natural progression/change. Someone, at some point, decides that certain beliefs are irrelevant and inapplicable because of cultural and social 'evolution' or change.

Take, for example, Christian 'sects' that refuse to alter or abandon their practices and beliefs in order to 'evolve' with the times. Compare Lutherans to Evangelicals or Pentecostals. It's like two completely different worlds. This isn't religious evolution - this is appropriation. Someone made a decision that robes and hymns were outdated and irrelevant to modern Christianity and in an attempt to 'evolve' Christianity, the practices were dropped. Similarly, conservative beliefs such as homosexuality being sinful are completely disregarded and argued against by many modern and newer denominations - not because the religion itself evolved, but because individuals within the Christian 'arena' appropriated the cultural and social acceptance of the practice of homosexuality and decided the religion would be better off if the beliefs themselves changed. The Bible still says the same - but the interpretation is different.

So please, enlighten us. You say that you "do not talk about the sanctity of (your) path" - but you're here, discussing your beliefs and having your part in this discussion, so throw us a bone here and tell us what you mean.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2