Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's first brick made out of human urine

Still Waters

Students in South Africa have created the world’s first brick made from human urine.

The bio-brick was produced by students from Cape Town, who collected urine from specially designed male urinals at the university’s engineering building and mixed it with sand and bacteria.

Bio-bricks are made in moulds at room temperature, removing the need for high temperature kilns. Nitrogen and potassium, which are crucial for commercial fertilisers, are created as by-products during the process.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2018/oct/25/liquid-gold-students-make-worlds-first-brick-out-of-human-urine

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

One wonders if these bricks have the same material properties as conventional bricks, and how durable they are?

• Like 1

I think they're taking the ****

Snow-Pee1.gif

• Haha 2

Wow, and I thought you can only **** bricks.

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Still Waters said:

The bio-brick was produced by students from Cape Town, who collected urine from specially designed male urinals at the university’s engineering building and mixed it with sand and bacteria.

Is it only male urine then? Bit sexist! 

Hopefully all men will one day pee in a bottle to give to the brick yard...yippeeeee....no more splashing over the toilet seat. 

• Haha 4

How creative!  I bet that's the most inventive people have been with urine since the Romans used it for laundry detergent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seaturtlehorsesnake said:

the first? so you mean it's... number one?

*falls backwards out of the panel*

I imagine there would be one heck of a long queue at those specially designed male urinals, just to build a small brick wall, imagine the queue if they want to build a house? :mellow:

• Like 1