Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oject In Jupiter near orbit

OverSword

So I have no idea what this is.  Could be natural, could be a glitch in the image, or could it be.......an unnatural object in orbit around the biggest planet in our solar system?  I usually find the videos from this channel laughable and naive but this one is a little intriguing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

May I ask a stupid question. Could it be the same effect as we call the Northen lights?

If u think about it... Is it perhaps plausible?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DebDandelion said:

May I ask a stupid question. Could it be the same effect as we call the Northen lights?

If u think about it... Is it perhaps plausible?

That is not a stupid question, and I have no idea. ;)  When you look at the photo it does seem to have right angles and light reflecting off of it and the pixels seem smaller than the artifacts that are green so I would say not that type of phenomena. 

• Like 1

Isn't Secureteam a bunch of hoaxers?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I hope Elon Musk isn't asking questions like "Dude ... where's my car ?"

~

Just now, seanjo said:

And now for those of us that don't speak scientist...it means....?

30 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

Isn't Secureteam a bunch of hoaxers?

I don't know about that, They are definitely believers though.  Usually believers don't hoax because they are convinced of what they believe they are seeing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Solar wind causing an anomaly in the photo? I'll wait for the experts to analyse it properly.

Any idea how highly charged the solar wind is so far out into the solar system?  Jupiter itself is a pretty powerful source of emissions.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

I don't know about that, They are definitely believers though.  Usually believers don't hoax because they are convinced of what they believe they are seeing.

They are.

It looks more like a real feature than an imaging artefact to me. The blue edge of the planet seems to run through it's lower portion. This seems to be a bit too organised to be a random event.

It might be a moon starting to rise above the Jovian atmosphere ? 

PIA22688.2.jpg

Just on first glance:

1. Secureteam10 ARE in deed a bunch of hoaxing fakers.  I'm not aware of a single genuine image they have pushed.

2. What / where is the source of the image?

3. To the immediate left and right of the anomaly, you'll note that the bluish haze edge, which everywhere else is consistent and about 4-6 pixels wide, seems to have been erased/covered with black.  That's a very likely sign of a copy and paste.

PS - I've seen plenty of anomalies ranging from from processing artefacts or cosmic ray strikes, and that looks nothing like it.

Frankly, given the source, which is worse than a sewer.... I can't be bothered more fully examining the image to be sure.  Does anyone have a source for it, NOT from Secureteam's hoax channel?

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 3

OK, I'll eat some humble pie...  I've now found the source of these images at NASA.

Here's a page with links to larger sizes:

https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA22688

Problem is, these are NOT true original images as transmitted by the spacecraft!!!  They (incl the large TIFF file) have very clearly been edited by NASA (and VERY AMATEURISHLY, may I say).

Look carefully at the left upper edge of the planet and you'll see an artificial curve where the image has been blackened.  Don't have time to chase this up yet and go back to source imagery, but I will say, when NASA posts shoddily done work like this, it gives CT'ers conspiracy fodder, and it gives me the sh.....s.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

OK, I'll eat some humble pie...  I've now found the source of these images at NASA.

Here's a page with links to larger sizes:

https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA22688

Problem is, these are NOT true original images as transmitted by the spacecraft!!!  They (incl the large TIFF file) have very clearly been edited by NASA (and VERY AMATEURISHLY, may I say).

Look carefully at the left upper edge of the planet and you'll see an artificial curve where the image has been blackened.  Don't have time to chase this up yet and go back to source imagery, but I will say, when NASA posts shoddily done work like this, it gives CT'ers conspiracy fodder, and it gives me the sh.....s.

What are you saying? NASA edited to hide something, or they edit all the time, and did a crappy job?

Edited by South Alabam

borg-cube.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

No....resistance is NOT futile...resistance is NOT futile..I will Not be Assimilated, I will not be Assimil..................................

I am 5 of 8

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

What are you saying? NASA edited to hide something, or they edit all the time, and did a crappy job?

At this point, I have no idea.  I suspect it's an artefact caused by lousy 'touching-up', but I'm not sure.  I'm a pretty staunch defender of NASA normally, but sometimes, their non-science image editors do a bloody awful job.  These folks are supposed to clean up images, which may have background noise / hot pixels and the like (especially in large dark black areas), so they are more presentable / prettier (and take up less disk space - clean black areas require little storage space, while grainy areas require lots..).

When you do that *well*, you do *not* leave traces, and you do not change the important content of the image.. But look at the poorly blacked out left side of that full image, where they left an obvious line to show where they 'painted'.  Good Grief.

My suspicion is that they may have used a clone tool or similar on the right side and that might be the cause of the 'glitch'.

Anyway, on a previous occasion I sent a quite polite email to NASA's PR people about a similarly bad example of exactly that, and I was accused of being a conspiracist myself..  Needless to say, I lost considerable respect for that section of NASA.  Their science people are great.. but their PR people and website editors, not so much.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

OK, after a bit of legwork, I have the answer, and I have to apologise again, it seems!!

First up, it wasn't NASA who created this composite image, but a 'citizen scientist'..  They accessed the original source images (approximately 30 I believe - more details later), and stitched them all together.  So, sorry NASA... (although IF ya post images on your website, you NASA folks should probably check them a little more thoroughly, doncha think?????).  The anomaly does NOT, I repeat NOT appear on the original source images, so our citizen scientist accidentally created it during the stitching process and didn't notice it.  To be fair, it is quite small..

The original source images may be found here:
https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/junocam/processing?id=JNCE_2018250_15C00032_V01

Feel free to check...  There is no anomaly, it's just an editing/stitching error.

If anyone is unsatisfied with this, let me know and I'll go into more detail about how I (and now you) can verify that the source images do not have (and never had) the error.

So my reserved apologies go to NASA (but check your submissions a bit harder!) and Secureteam10 (but why post a non-hoax given your abysmal record?)...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChrLzs said:

At this point, I have no idea.  I suspect it's an artefact caused by lousy 'touching-up', but I'm not sure.  I'm a pretty staunch defender of NASA normally, but sometimes, their non-science image editors do a bloody awful job.  These folks are supposed to clean up images, which may have background noise / hot pixels and the like (especially in large dark black areas), so they are more presentable / prettier (and take up less disk space - clean black areas require little storage space, while grainy areas require lots..).

When you do that *well*, you do *not* leave traces, and you do not change the important content of the image.. But look at the poorly blacked out left side of that full image, where they left an obvious line to show where they 'painted'.  Good Grief.

My suspicion is that they may have used a clone tool or similar on the right side and that might be the cause of the 'glitch'.

Anyway, on a previous occasion I sent a quite polite email to NASA's PR people about a similarly bad example of exactly that, and I was accused of being a conspiracist myself..  Needless to say, I lost considerable respect for that section of NASA.  Their science people are great.. but their PR people and website editors, not so much.

Makes sense, as the sides of the anomaly are perpendicular to the sides of the image. That seemed odd to me, a well a ghost line extending into the atmospheric haze.

13 hours ago, OverSword said:

You may want to research them a little deeper...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

thanks for chasing this down ChrLzs, it certainly peaked my interest once you said it had been edited by NASA.....good to see the result in your following post.

Anyhow the reason I highlighted this post was mainly due to the bolded bit....made me smile :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, OverSword said:

You apparently haven't heard about Rick Dyer.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Timothy said:

You may want to research them a little deeper...

If you know of something they hoaxed just post it. I don’t have the time or patience to wade through hours of crappy ufo videos. From what I’ve seen the guy that puts the videos together is just over enthusiastic about what he thinks he’s seeing.

25 minutes ago, OverSword said:

If you know of something they hoaxed just post it. I don’t have the time or patience to wade through hours of crappy ufo videos. From what I’ve seen the guy that puts the videos together is just over enthusiastic about what he thinks he’s seeing.

That's what I thought as well. YouTube is full of silly crap but every once in a while, the thumbnail is so intriguing you just have to check it out. I've seen other YouTube channels report on some of the same events as ST10 so I don't think they are hoaxing it all.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

That's what I thought as well. YouTube is full of silly crap but every once in a while, the thumbnail is so intriguing you just have to check it out. I've seen other YouTube channels report on some of the same events as ST10 so I don't think they are hoaxing it all.

Secureteam10 is a hoax..period.....In all likely hood those other channels just replayed the hoax he put up...Its channels like ST10 is the reason Ufology is a laughing stock! Glockner is only in it for the  money, period! There are plenty others..thirdphaseofmoon is another one that puts up a lot of hoax crap.

http://ufotheater.com/ufo-channel-reviews/ufo-black-list/

My advice to anyone on the UFO crap on You Tube do not buy any of it or at least check out the claim.....Google is your friend.

• Like 3