Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sweden: Lessons for America

OverSword

It’s been suggested that Americans would be better off if the United States was more like Sweden. Do the Swedes know something that we don’t? Sweden: Lessons for America? A Personal Exploration by Johan Norberg delves into the economic and social landscape of the Swedish

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, seanjo said:

Sweden has a massive problem they are pretending doesn't exist.

I'd say that one problem is a tad too optimistic...

• Like 1

Why Sweden's Elections Were All About the Rise of the Far Right

What makes Sweden relevant to the outside the world (aside from Ikea, Pippi Longstocking and Stieg Larsson) is not its famous stability, but its potential, as Trump noted, to descend into chaos. And more specifically, what that outcome could mean for the rest of us.

So even if the Sweden Democrats didn’t perform quite as well as some feared, the party’s rise is still THE story. In what has become a familiar pattern with populist movements across Europe, the SD’s tactics left the establishment parties running scared. The entire campaign revolved around the populist agenda, including (even if not exclusively) the hot button issue of migration.

Even in the world's most feminist country, the so called "far right" has a strong following. If that doesn't speak to the failure of mass migration, I don't know what will. Forced integration, just like drugs and prostitution, is a problem for the poor. The battle between the rich and the poor is as old as time - mass immigration is just the latest tool used by the rich to fug with the rest of us.

Don't forget their neutral gender child care policy: The words "he" and "she" are forbidden in their institutions.

And their degrading anti-liberal alcohol politics "Systembolaget": You can only buy it in government stores.

7 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Have any of you watched the video?

How long is it?

I live right next to Sweden, so I know its economic and social landscape quite well, and don't need a Swede to advertise it for me.

Remember when you post a video in a place where people usually only read text, to tell as much as possible about it (and its length)!

27 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Have any of you watched the video?

I started to, but it's a bit long-winded. It's an hour long. It's a good documentary, but I'm tired tonight and I'm going to lie down and read my Kindle. 

Actually.. it's just picked up a bit. I've just heard the bit about Ingmar Bergman having his movies taxed at 139%. 

Yup.. you heard that right. Every time his movie made him a dollar, he had to pay $1.39 to the tax authorities. And he was by NO means the only one !

Edited by RoofGardener

55 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

How long is it?

I live right next to Sweden, so I know its economic and social landscape quite well, and don't need a Swede to advertise it for me.

Remember when you post a video in a place where people usually only read text, to tell as much as possible about it (and its length)!

The video demonstrates that what most Americans believe about Sweden, economically is untrue, as they are held up as some social democratic paradise.  They are actually very free open unregulated market and the government is not in charge of their pensions, their medicine or many of the other social services.

12 hours ago, OverSword said:

It’s been suggested that Americans would be better off if the United States was more like Sweden. Do the Swedes know something that we don’t? Sweden: Lessons for America? A Personal Exploration by Johan Norberg delves into the economic and social landscape of the Swedish

I noticed the "Free to Choose Media" watermark.  Well, my view of Sweden has changed, although I'm not totally sold yet.  I don't think the Swedish model will work perfectly here, but the Progs here need to watch this program and stop craving power.

Sweden is so perfect~. /sarcasm.

Do i even dare to say that Im a Swede ?

On 2018-10-30 at 8:01 PM, sci-nerd said:

How long is it?

Haha yeah we Swedes tend to advertise these things and im not sure why we do it cause it's not relevant or interesting. :-D

1 minute ago, Avalanche said:

Haha yeah we Swedes tend to advertise these things and im not sure why we do it cause it's not relevant or interesting. :-D

We Danes love to give you a hard time, whenever possible! But deep down we are brothers, and we love and admire you (just don't tell anyone!!).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

We Danes love to give you a hard time, whenever possible! But deep down we are brothers, and we love and admire you (just don't tell anyone!!).

we are Scandinavians :-)   i dont mean to butter you up  but i think Danes are more relaxed and cooler socially than Swedes who can be grumpy sad old gits.

3 minutes ago, Avalanche said:

we are Scandinavians :-)   i dont mean to butter you up  but i think Danes are more relaxed and cooler socially than Swedes who can be grumpy sad old gits.

No arguments there!

Thank God for making Øresundsbron, so Swedes can more easily get drunk in København and Danes can get cheap houses in Skåne. Cheers mate!

• Like 1