Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
internetperson

anyone have experience w/ fixing cd/dvd skip?

5 posts in this topic

internetperson

I've been collecting cds again and they often skip. A legit cd buffer is expensive and not worth it. I've tried little tricks here and there but nothings remotely worked. Got any advice? thanks

• Sad 1

sci-nerd

You should google sandpaper and polish. I heard a grain 600 sandpaper should do the job. Some have also mentioned toothpaste and vaseline.

But be sure before you start, and never damage the printed side (as I'm sure you know).

seanjo
22 minutes ago, internetperson said:

I've been collecting cds again and they often skip. A legit cd buffer is expensive and not worth it. I've tried little tricks here and there but nothings remotely worked. Got any advice? thanks

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Innovations-1018300-SkipDr-Classic/dp/B0015ACUKC?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duc08-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0015ACUKC

acute

I know that you should only clean optical discs straight from the center to the edge. (By cleaning in a circular fashion you would be attempting to wipe the data away!)

Use a lint-free microfiber cloth.

Edited by acute

existo

I've had some success in the past using hair conditioner, cleaning from the centre to the edge.  Heard the toothpaste one but no one can tell me if you use the white paste or the blue gel.  Another trick of mine, which most folks will not use... Give em a good lick, just lick the back and off you go. Not for everyone that one though

• Haha 1