Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Empath abilities

Crit

Hi, I’m an empath which is a huge burden but also helps me feel like I’m a safe friend to people. As I’ve been exploring, I’ve begun to pay more attention to the slightly tingly, warm, happy, and at peace feeling I get in my chest when I think about my loved ones or anything. I can sometimes do it on command. I wanted to know how I can help people as an empath. Could I give that feeling to others? Help them feel at peace and loved? If anyone has done exploration in this area, let me know. (I know it’s not a physical condition because I’ve asked my doctor. I’ve had this since I was like nine and I can make any part of my body slightly vibrate)  What should I be worried about as a young empath and what can I do now? (I’m 17 now) (if you don’t believe in this, don’t waste your time or energy pls) some empaths report being able to mind read on command (I can only do it when it comes naturally) or put thoughts into other’s heads. What do you all think? I don’t think mal intent travels but I’m not sure if this does either 

Edited by Crit
  • Like 1

I am not a big believer in empathy as some special extra gift. I think everyone can develop it. The main purpose for it is to help others, to care, and you can do that working a soup kitchen, helping the elderly repair their homes, being a care giver, whatever other interest or talent you have, use it for others.

JMO.

• Like 1

Hi @Not A Rockstar. If you research an empath, it’s a completely different life experience than someone who you’d traditionally associate empathy with. Empaths have a pretty innate empathy that goes very deep (I speculate that some kids just grow up observing that naturally and it becomes a skill) but it causes you to grow up differently for sure. Learned empathy is cool and all when it’s learned, but generally under control whereas empaths don’t know what’s going on with them emotionally at times and feel too much empathy. I do charitable work right now and I love it. Empaths aren’t simply masters of of empathy, it’s a much deeper and sometimes quite uncontrolled understanding of human emotion that’s embedded in the subconscious as well. But I still agree with you! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Crit said:

If you research an empath

Real research or woo-woo?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crit said:

... I can make any part of my body slightly vibrate ...

Toenails as well?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Mirror neurons, I'll leave it at that.:whistle:

Uhhhhh kkay? Are you showing off the fact that you know a big word or trying to aid someone ahah ???

10 hours ago, Crit said:

some empaths report being able to mind read on command (I can only do it when it comes naturally) or put thoughts into other’s heads. What do you all think? I don’t think mal intent travels but I’m not sure if this does either 

Hello,

My understanding is that telepathy can be defined as a shared experience. That is some thing the empath does a lot.

It is always best to have good thoughts about others. At some level, all your thoughts and feelings towards another is known.

John

Research it indeed. I have been one for over 40 years and it rapidly subsumed into the whole as I kept on with learning and experiencing and searching for my answers. I barely even think of it, now, it is just part of me... well "rapidly" is relative. It took a while. 

You will grow past the sense of being something special. Real empathy will do that for you.

Being an empath was a big fad back in the 70's and is coming back into vogue now it seems as we get a few roaming through here. Maybe one a month. Each of them is special, burdened, and nobody ever understands it is not normal empathy and these folks deserve to be inspiring awe and being treated with kid gloves for being so wondrous, aware like nobody else, and so very misunderstood by the Neanderthals sharing the world with them. Or so they each say in different ways. It is pretty standardized, actually. I am glad I went through it without the internet to come off that way to hundreds instead of a few as I grew up. It actually is normal empathy, just a few folks have a harder time learning how to control it - maybe they get more of it or maybe they have less controls naturally, but, it is common as an experience to go through the overwhelming emotion phase and self-discovery.

Come to find out is, it is a doorway, not a room, and up to you what it leads to. Just, so many of them all say the same thing - nobody can understand and they are special and burdened and seeking answers from others out here as apparently all that superior sensitivity is not allowing them to find sources for their growth and information elsewhere - like guides or their own higher self or whatever you opt to call them. You can do yourself a great deal of good if you stop with the tolerance of your own excesses as you perceive them and start learning self control of your emotions. I remember those days and they seemed special and overwhelming, but they did get under my control and I did move on, and the only special about it was it forced me to get a stronger grip on myself which served me in good stead. With control, comes control. Funny thing, that.

Come back in forty or fifty years and let us know how it worked out in truth. It leads us all to different things in life, unless we just stay there in the first doorway convinced we have arrived somewhere and nobody else gets it. That is like getting your ticket taken but never getting on the train. You are alone at the station not because you are rare, but because everyone else went on the previous train, already. 

Have fun, anyway. We all are running on our own clock. You aren't late.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Crit said:

Hi, I’m an empath which is a huge burden but also helps me feel like I’m a safe friend to people. As I’ve been exploring, I’ve begun to pay more attention to the slightly tingly, warm, happy, and at peace feeling I get in my chest when I think about my loved ones or anything. I can sometimes do it on command. I wanted to know how I can help people as an empath. Could I give that feeling to others? Help them feel at peace and loved? If anyone has done exploration in this area, let me know. (I know it’s not a physical condition because I’ve asked my doctor. I’ve had this since I was like nine and I can make any part of my body slightly vibrate)  What should I be worried about as a young empath and what can I do now? (I’m 17 now) (if you don’t believe in this, don’t waste your time or energy pls) some empaths report being able to mind read on command (I can only do it when it comes naturally) or put thoughts into other’s heads. What do you all think? I don’t think mal intent travels but I’m not sure if this does either 

Hi Crit, welcome to UM. I understand what you are saying about the difference between empaths and empathy. It is indeed a burden to be an empath and the best way to handle it is to keep the fact to yourself. Anyone who is a little different from the crowd will always be shunned, made fun of, and may even attract aggression. Be grateful for what you can offer others but don't speak about it. It's strange, isn't it, that to speak of one's sporting or academic achievements is totally acceptable but if your strength lies in paranormal areas and you mention it, you are immediately accused of believing you are 'special' and 'superior'! Good Luck!  

With regard to mal intent travelling or not, if thoughts can pass between (some)people that presumably means all sorts of thoughts. If you receive a negative thought and are aware of it then damage has already been done.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Hi Crit, welcome to UM. I understand what you are saying about the difference between empaths and empathy. It is indeed a burden to be an empath and the best way to handle it is to keep the fact to yourself. Anyone who is a little different from the crowd will always be shunned, made fun of, and may even attract aggression.

Maybe this is because rational people are slightly sick with the negative effects magical thinking has on society.

If this "ability" exists - prove it.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Emma_Acid said:

Maybe this is because rational people are slightly sick with the negative effects magical thinking has on society.

I think the above quote sums up my personal stance quiet well. 

While magical thinking can be constructively used. That negative side is way too destructive. 

32 minutes ago, Emma_Acid said:

What negative effects do you think 'magical thinking' has on society? What sort of numbers of people do you think are negatively affected?

I wonder how one could prove it exists ... any suggestions?

14 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

While magical thinking can be constructively used. That negative side is way too destructive. 

Same questions to you: What negative effects do you think 'magical thinking' has on society? What sort of numbers of people do you think are negatively affected? In what sense is this 'negative side' 'way too destructive'?

7 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

What negative effects do you think 'magical thinking' has on society? What sort of numbers of people do you think are negatively affected? In what sense is this 'negative side' 'way too destructive'?

The most obvious answer are those who use the "law" of attraction without any effort on their part. 

This includes those who'd rather pray an illness away when a trip to the doctor would fix them right up. 

Empathy is a normal cognitive function. Most people have it. It's not a psychic ability, but a psychological one. All due to our mirror neurons.

You might think I'm a hater on psychic abilities, that's fine, it's your opinion to have. The thing is I am an empath. I've made mention of this before. It's a natural ability, some of us have our mirror neurons dialed to 11. Couple this with strong intuition and it does seem paranormal or supernatural. In a way its a form of sensory overload. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

The most obvious answer are those who use the "law" of attraction without any effort on their part. 

This includes those who'd rather pray an illness away when a trip to the doctor would fix them right up. 

Empathy is a normal cognitive function. Most people have it. It's not a psychic ability, but a psychological one. All due to our mirror neurons.

I don't think there are many people who try to 'pray away' an illness and exclude medical help. The vast majority of people would see that as just plain foolish. 

There's empathy and there's empathy! I would not describe what the OP is referring to as psychic or psychological. He refers to it as a 'burden', which doesn't sound to me like your everyday-type of empathy.

12 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You might think I'm a hater on psychic abilities, that's fine, it's your opinion to have. The thing is I am an empath. I've made mention of this before. It's a natural ability, some of us have our mirror neurons dialed to 11. Couple this with strong intuition and it does seem paranormal or supernatural. In a way its a form of sensory overload. 

I agree that an element of it is 'sensory overload' but it becomes something else when the sensations are being felt from a much wider area than the person's immediate environment. And are felt so deeply that the pain is almost unbearable.

14 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

I agree that an element of it is 'sensory overload' but it becomes something else when the sensations are being felt from a much wider area than the person's immediate environment. And are felt so deeply that the pain is almost unbearable.

Here's the problem with that. How much of that is real and how much of that is fabricated by belief? People can believe something so strongly that they create an entire subjective reality of false positives. When people believe they are psychic especially in the case of "Empathy" they become victims of their own confirmation bias and do project their own emotions onto the world around them, not literally. A true empathy is a pro at reading people. Even crowds. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

There's empathy and there's empathy! I would not describe what the OP is referring to as psychic or psychological. He refers to it as a 'burden', which doesn't sound to me like your everyday-type of empathy.

You sound as if you personally have experienced this, Ouija. You speak of it as unbearable pain, and it can be that at times. It can feel like a burden as well until you learn to disassociate. An Empath is debatably a person who feels empathy to an extreme degree. It typically is a period of time when this peaks, often late teens to early 20's, though some can just be hyper-sensitive for much of their life.

The question comes in as to what exactly is this? For some it becomes a manipulative tool to control others and how they interact with the sufferer. It can become a crutch to use to explain how they are too sensitive to have to go out and do this or that.

For others, it becomes an early challenge in life to get it under control and make an asset out of it, as a quality of their personhood which helps to fuel and enhance what they do in life, such as helping others, being a doctor, a dentist, an EMT.

By itself, it is not a "power", it is just a challenge like much of anything else. A psychic can tell a fortune, a healer can supposedly heal someone else with energy. An Empath... does what exactly? This OP talks about putting thoughts into other people's minds (not cool) sometimes. He/she can read minds at times (dangerous ground there). Feelings, tingly feelings, which sound like heart chakra related phenomenon. The OP describes feeling peace and love when thinking of loved ones. The karmic load of someone abusing this is massive, whether they think of themselves as an Empath or just a very sensitive person.

None of those "powers" up there are unique to an "Empath". It is all normal. 

Empathy, or Empaths, are only as good as they evolve into something else as a result and learn how to use it to enhance a service they do... or a con they run later for profit. Everything is a choice.

For example, I know Intuitives who have a high empathic ability, but the empathy is only part of the whole, it is just an asset among other skills.

It is like saying I am a Walker, because I do it far more often and farther than most other people do. In a way I am right, but in a way it is not anything everyone cannot also do (barring paralysis or impairment).

I am not a skeptic, Ouija, for God's sake, but, obsessing about what is just a sensitivity and acumen for relating to and reading others emotionally is kind of like navel gazing. It really does not amount to anything by itself.

He says he wants enlightenment, yet is not interested in others who have lived through this and evolved for decades past the "tingles". So, I have to assume s/he is not ready to do that and am moving on, just I hate for people to be confused about what it really is. 

Anyway, I am done here. It is Halloween and I have to get ready to help with the parade my daughter is in tonight and it means a lot to her. Halloween is one of our 2 major family holidays.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

You upset? ;(

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I just wanna know where I said magic ahah