Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost talking to my daughter

UnsureMum

I'm a bit worried after talking to my daughter... I knew there was something in the house since moving in as the TV in the kids room would turn on happened twice by itself when my younger daughter would be napping in her cot. No way she could get out and turn it on being so young too. Then one day I came home after going to the shop, my baby son was in his pram sleeping... For about 10 minutes on and off the pram kept rocking backwards and forwards by itself. It freaked me out and I showed my sister to come see who was in the other room. It carried on. I felt okay as I thought it's obviously friendly and just looking out for the kids. Then my daughter mentioned quickly she hears her name being called at night very often and it wakes her up. That night my husband swears he heard a girls voice calling my daughters name. He said it was very clear. 
The next day I spike to my daughter about what she had said to me the day before. She said its a girl who calls her name most nights she repeats herself calling her but she sees no one. She also said this person tells her off and says she is being naughty which apparently upsets my daughter as she saY's she's done nothing wrong. 
Now this is really worrying me. She says she doesn't know who it is. I said to her ask them who they are then. 
Now I've looked this up apparently you don't want to respond?! I'm going to have to tell her to ignore this now. My daughter is 5 this seems very scary to be going through and it does scare her. She said its been happening for a while and definatley at this since we been at this house for about a year and a half now. 
Is this harmful? What's is people's thoughts on this. 
I want to move now... Will this stop this from happening?

UnsureMom, there are practical explanations for everything you're concerned about.

• It is not at all unusual for a TV to turn on by itself. Possible causes include low battery power in the remote, an electrical malfunction, or a power surge.
  • Your baby son may have set the pram in motion, and it continued rocking because of uneven flooring. 
  • Childhood hallucinations are common, and are one possible explanation for your daughter's experiences. Based on what you've described, however, it appears that your daughter is simply dreaming. Your husband may also have been dreaming when he heard the voice.

None of what's happening is harmful. Confirmation bias on the other hand, can be. You are giving far too much weight to supernatural explanations in support of your beliefs, totally losing sight of all of the practical and more benign explanations. And if I'm to be brutally frank, I am concerned about the way in which you are handling your daughter's situation. The superstition about not answering spirits who call your name so that they not take your soul (which is what I am assuming you make reference to), is just that — a superstition. If the problem continues, I suggest you consult a medical professional so that you get some solid, practical advice on how to best help your daughter through it.

Edited by Kittens Are Jerks
Corrected information url.
  • Like 3

Are you a non believer? Sounds like you are. 

I looked up online hearing your name called. It's actually pretty common, so why in this instance do you think it's different. 

I'm not sure regarding the TV .. that could have been anything but the pram definitely was not. The pram is always in the same place in the hallway and the floor is not uneven. The pram was rocking back and forth then it's pause for a minute then go again .. etc. Going on for about 15 mins.  There is no way even if the floor was uneven it's got down the hill and back up stopping in between. 

I definitely understand she could be dreaming.  That's a POSSIBILITY. On the other hand my husband was definitely not asleep we were just laid in bed. He said it sounded like a girl and was very clear. I then spoke to my daughter the same day about her experience and she said it was a girl. 

I dont see a 100% partial reasoning for all this combined. How are you concerned in the way I'm handling it? I have simply done nothing but talk to her about what she has said. She wonders who it was and sees no one the ONLY thing I have suggested is well ask them then. Then I research and come across things saying never to respond to someone calling your name. So I will change this JUST INCASE.  

It is what I read. What difference does it make? In my eyes it's better to not risk it. I just do not want anything to go further. You also can not say for 100% that it is nothing also. 

I do not need medical help lol! I am not even taking this anywhere? I just wanted to know what other people think. I know there are spirits out there. What they do and who they are I know nothing about so wanted to know more. It made me feel a little funny. Especially when she's been convinced since we moved here someone is living in the loft, it freaked me out a little at first then I thought kids will be kids. Until now I remember my other daughter when she was 1 screamed and screamed woke us up in the night. She was so scared of something we had to put her in our bed, when we got her up we realised she kept constantly looking up to the loft and watching it like something was going to pop out of there. Maybe she had seen something. 

Are you trying to say I'm insane or something? I'm not quite sure how you can be so sure. She's very mature for her age. Extremely mature. This only happens on certain nights not even the day. I don't believe she is imagining it. If it was not true I would be more worried she's hearing voices in her head that are not there. 

I would also like to know why you think I am dealing with it inappropriately? 

As I said again.. I assume you also do not believe in ghosts as such. 

If this situation is no unreal what is it with the rest of the people that have very similar stories online to mine? It seems to happen in a lot of places just people hearing there name being called etc. 

It's not unreal clearly so this obviously can happen. Therefor it is a possibility.

No not exact but quite clearly you do not believe, that is fine. You are not actually answering what I asked you are just making comments. 

You agree with the first kittens who thinks I am dealing with this inappropriately and also stating that I need medical help to help her.? 

You both come across as rude. I am now on other sites where I have believers and support, clearly that is not this site. 

I am 100% with you for your views and beliefs. Everyone is different. I just do not appreciate snidey remarks. 

Her talking to herself could be due to restlessness, loneliness, fear of the dark, boredom, not wanting to sleep. I'm pretty sure a few more things. My kids did the same thing. 

• Like 4

I figure the whole bunch of them are hopelessly possessed by some other worldly spirit and would recommend a good psychic come in to clean the whole mess up. This is obliviously the answer the OP is looking for and no other will do. The writers mind is already made up and closed to any answers except for a paranormal one, there is no known cure for this illness.

• Like 3

I have not already made my mind up and I am welcome to any answers! I wrote wanting advice or any similar experiences not people telling me I am wrong for what I think and how I deal with things. 

Does anyone actually know what there talking about? All I'm saying is to completely throw everything out as 'bull****' just general normal things that happen in the home is more bazaar to me! Had you of said as kittens did in the first place it could have been this for whatever reason I agree and I understand as stated earlier but then for people to be like I'm dealing with my child wrong and I need medical help LMAO .. then that is way past me.  Would you be sating this to every other similar forum? So everyone that's reported this happening is also definitely nothing spiritual?

No its not what I want to hear. My belief from lots of other stories .. If you believed too I just wanted to know if there was something would I follow if I removed my daughter from the environment. 

Simple. 

Looks like thats a wrap.  Just butting in I do that from time to time okay I'm off to find some pinot taTAH!~: D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UnsureMum said:

Would you be sating this to every other similar forum? So everyone that's reported this happening is also definitely nothing spiritual?

Yes, indubitably.:o I realize you may have your fears but i've not personally seen anything that i felt was truly paranormal (and yes, ive seen and heard unusual things). Still again my answer is "yes" i would make the same reply to whomever, regardless whether they were longtime forum users or a walk in off the internet. Hope you get it all resolved.

• Like 3

UnsureMum,

If you truly feel in your gut that you are dealing a spiritual, then you probably are.  And if you are, then you need spiritual help to get rid of it.

That said, that help can only be found in one place, the Bible.

There is power in the name of Jesus Christ.  You can compel whatever it is to leave you and your family alone in the name of Jesus Christ and prayer.  

Look it up online.  You'll find many testimonies about it if you look and I personally have had to do it.   It works. 

That is all I came to say.  

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, UnsureMum said:

I looked up online hearing your name called. It's actually pretty common, so why in this instance do you think it's different. 

Yes hearing one's name called is indeed quite common. I hear my mother call my name every now and then. It startles me out of sleep. It's part of a dream nothing more. My mother is very much alive, and I doubt there's a spirit out there who can mimic her charming French accent.

9 hours ago, UnsureMum said:

I do not need medical help lol!

I think you do, but not for the reasons you've assumed. A pediatrician could offer advice on how you can best help your daughter cope with her dreams so that she is not fearful of them. What's so wrong with that?

I realise you're annoyed with some of the comments here, but you asked for advice, and the responses given did not intend to insult you, but rather to provide a number of explanations to help alleviate your fears, and possibly help you develop a plan going forward.

But yeah, your mind was indeed made up despite your protestations to the contrary. The fact that you scoff at the idea of seeking professional help, yet do not hesitate to get advice from strangers on paranormal sites, is more telling than you realise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I do have a question. Why the anger towards those trying to help you? 

13 hours ago, UnsureMum said:

She also said this person tells her off and says she is being naughty which apparently upsets my daughter as she saY's she's done nothing wrong. 

I got to thinking about this. It could very well be the little girl externalizing or mimicking the behavior around her. This imaginary friend is a stand-in for someone else. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, UnsureMum said:

I have not already made my mind up and I am welcome to any answers! I wrote wanting advice or any similar experiences not people telling me I am wrong for what I think and how I deal with things. 

Does anyone actually know what there talking about? All I'm saying is to completely throw everything out as 'bull****' just general normal things that happen in the home is more bazaar to me! Had you of said as kittens did in the first place it could have been this for whatever reason I agree and I understand as stated earlier but then for people to be like I'm dealing with my child wrong and I need medical help LMAO .. then that is way past me.  Would you be sating this to every other similar forum? So everyone that's reported this happening is also definitely nothing spiritual?

No its not what I want to hear. My belief from lots of other stories .. If you believed too I just wanted to know if there was something would I follow if I removed my daughter from the environment. 

Simple. 

Sorry you are having an unpleasant experience to this point. Although the forum is called Unexplained Mysteries it seems the most prolific members are insistent non-believers to the point of being irritating.

I am a believer in the possibility of the paranormal and your case does suggest that to me and it doesn't seem all that uncommon from my decades of hearing things. One possibility to consider is to find a quality psychic that would be willing to visit your house and give impressions.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jamesjr191 said:

Yes, indubitably.:o I realize you may have your fears but i've not personally seen anything that i felt was truly paranormal (and yes, ive seen and heard unusual things). Still again my answer is "yes" i would make the same reply to whomever, regardless whether they were longtime forum users or a walk in off the internet. Hope you get it all resolved.

Okay it's personal opinions. I'm not saying anything against your beliefs and I would love to have the same opinions as you but going on what has happened and what I feel. . I know a couple of people who have had bad experiences with certain spirits.. actually I have heard more bad stories than good with this kind of thing. I have close family and one close family friend who have had very bad experiences that are unexplainable but to be that.  

I also have one family member who decided to do something stupid but proves that there are spirits present in our world. Besides the people I know there are so many different stories online and I am pretty sure that not all of those are in the head or lies. 

But thank you for your opinion anyway.

13 hours ago, aaabbb said:

UnsureMum,

If you truly feel in your gut that you are dealing a spiritual, then you probably are.  And if you are, then you need spiritual help to get rid of it.

That said, that help can only be found in one place, the Bible.

There is power in the name of Jesus Christ.  You can compel whatever it is to leave you and your family alone in the name of Jesus Christ and prayer.  

Look it up online.  You'll find many testimonies about it if you look and I personally have had to do it.   It works. 

That is all I came to say.  

Thank you for your reply. That sounds perfect to me, I will have a look into that.  

10 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Yes hearing one's name called is indeed quite common. I hear my mother call my name every now and then. It startles me out of sleep. It's part of a dream nothing more. My mother is very much alive, and I doubt there's a spirit out there who can mimic her charming French accent.

I have read that ghosts can mimic proles voices to get that attention. People who are in the house. BUT I am not saying I belive that.  I do believe yes about dreams that can do this and it's all in the head. When she first told me this is initially what I thought until my husband heard something and I thought about the couple of previous situations.  So no I'm not throwing you off saying what you are saying I do not agree with. I honestly don't know.  Just this is what it sounds like and this is how I feel now. I would have loved everyone to say to me this is definitely nothing, but I have had a lot of comments on a different thread stating different. People who are convinced it is something also and a problem that needs sorted incase it esculates. 

Regarding your comment on 'medical help' I am sorry that I understood you wrong. Yes if this was the case and this was just to be dreams then I would deal with it from there and be alot happier. This is not what I want and a dream would be a big relief. On the other hand if it wasn't I would not want to just ignore it and pass it off of something it's not. I am just trying to work it out. 

10 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I do have a question. Why the anger towards those trying to help you? 

I got to thinking about this. It could very well be the little girl externalizing or mimicking the behavior around her. This imaginary friend is a stand-in for someone else.

Becuase maybe I took everything said in the wrong context? I am sorry. I now see this is not the case. 

A stand in for someone else? Sorry I am not quite getting what you mean. Someone like? .. 

8 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

One possibility to consider is to find a quality psychic that would be willing to visit your house and give impressions.

Thank you. 

If this is what I believe this is what I would have too do. Although truthually I am not keen on this idea however if this was the case I would have no choice.

11 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

One possibility to consider is to find a quality psychic that would be willing to visit your house and give impressions.

How do you find a quality psychic, in and amongst all the fakes and fruit loops out there... Is there an organisation of recommended proven professionals? this is an honest question, not having a skeptical dig at you, I am by no means a skeptic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I honestly wish you luck. 

I dont see much chance of that when the OP believes family members have been in influenced by unseen (and non-existent) entities, and believes or puts faith in the stories that are read off the world wide web of b.s. aka. known as the internet.

"I also have one family member who decided to do something stupid but proves that there are spirits present in our world. Besides the people I know there are so many different stories online and I am pretty sure that not all of those are in the head or lies."

I also wish you the best in solving your issues but i don't see you having any real success until you let go of the 'spooky' ideas. Not much chance of that happening though, we believe what we want to believe. That is not likely to change no matter whom you are.

• Like 1

If you want to banish whatever you believe is there just banish it with an LBPR can be found on youtube.

Edited by Avalanche