Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Possible Ramp Found (Great Pyramid)

LucidElement

Remains of ramps have been found leading toward the GP out of the limestone quarry at Giza right next to it.

Harte

• Like 2

20 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

I think this theory is right  a ramp couldn't be a mile long:)

Unlikely.  They had thousands workers on the plateau in teams of 100 (and well over 500 of these 100-man teams) working on  the pyramids at the same time.  You'd have a traffic jam of monumental proportions if they brought up just one block at a time.  It would have taken far longer than 20 years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kenemet said:

Unlikely.  They had thousands workers on the plateau in teams of 100 (and well over 500 of these 100-man teams) working on  the pyramids at the same time.  You'd have a traffic jam of monumental proportions if they brought up just one block at a time.  It would have taken far longer than 20 years.

I can't remember at the moment, but is there a solid reference for 20 years? I know the archeological evidence points to it beginning under one Pharoah and finishing under another. 

14 minutes ago, ShadowSot said:

I can't remember at the moment, but is there a solid reference for 20 years? I know the archeological evidence points to it beginning under one Pharoah and finishing under another. 

I can't remember the precise details, but there is graffiti that provides pretty specific year counts. One such graffito is in one of the limestone-lined boat pits, which we know was completed by Djedefre.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, ShadowSot said:

Multiple ones, yes.  And that's just for the Great Pyramid.  They built continuously at Giza for over 50 years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kenemet said:

Multiple ones, yes.  And that's just for the Great Pyramid.  They built continuously at Giza for over 50 years.

Yes, but from a previous discussion here at UM I'd gathered the 20 year range was a story developed later. 

3 hours ago, Windowpane said:

Depending how solid you consider him, Herodotus.

Like the Sinister Cabal (of the) Academic Mainstream or SCAM for short, I believe Herodotus only when it set we to further my position and discredit him as wrong a d unreliable when it serves my purpose.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ShadowSot said:

Yes, but from a previous discussion here at UM I'd gathered the 20 year range was a story developed later. 

The Red Pyramid is almost as big as the GP. There were dates found on the back sides of casing stones.

Perhaps greater importance is the fact that some of the casing was dated. This not only gives us clues to how long the pyramid took to build, but also the sequence of work that took place. From these, we know that the pyramid was probably begun between the twenty-second and twenty ninth year of Snefru's reign. Other dates tell us that two years later, six layers of stone had been laid. However, within four years, 30 percent of the pyramid had been completed, and the entire pyramid was finished in about seventeen years.

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/red.htm

Harte

• Like 5

I thought the ramp theory was pretty well established. There was plenty of evidence 20 years or so back. Probably much longer for those on scene. 

I would think the post holes would be used with stabilizing ropes to keep the stone from sliding back down. This would allow the pulling teams to relax and repurchase for the next pull. Much of the exertion when moving heavy objects up an incline comes from keeping the object in place. Pulling teams could exert a burst of energy to move the stones but without some braking mechanism to maintain position most or all of the forward progress would be lost as gravity pulls it back down.

This would also work for securing the stones during breaks and at quitting time. Pretty genious they were, although it probably developed over a period of time as problems arose. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BorizBadinov said:

I thought the ramp theory was pretty well established. There was plenty of evidence 20 years or so back. Probably much longer for those on scene. 

I would think the post holes would be used with stabilizing ropes to keep the stone from sliding back down. This would allow the pulling teams to relax and repurchase for the next pull. Much of the exertion when moving heavy objects up an incline comes from keeping the object in place. Pulling teams could exert a burst of energy to move the stones but without some braking mechanism to maintain position most or all of the forward progress would be lost as gravity pulls it back down.

This would also work for securing the stones during breaks and at quitting time. Pretty genious they were, although it probably developed over a period of time as problems arose. 

Those ancient Egyptians were skilled on-the-job problem solvers. Ramps are still the accepted theory. The only people who doubt them are the wide-eyed fringies who can't conceive reality.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

Those ancient Egyptians were skilled on-the-job problem solvers. Ramps are still the accepted theory. The only people who doubt them are the wide-eyed fringies who can't conceive reality.

I guess that is why I was stunned to see that anyone was stunned by this um... new revelation. :P

• Haha 1

On 11/1/2018 at 7:14 AM, LucidElement said:

Dont know how to shorten a link =).

Anyways this is a really interesting find because if in fact they did find a ramp, then many believers in E.Ts may have a decision to face.

Im a little lost. This is a wonderful and long overdue discovery... but how does that prove/disprove anything relating to e.t.s?

1 hour ago, NicoletteS said:

Im a little lost. This is a wonderful and long overdue discovery... but how does that prove/disprove anything relating to e.t.s?

Hi Nicolette

There was no association made in reference to aliens in the OP and the majority of following conversation context hasn't either. Why do you think that we think it has something to do with aliens? 

jmccr8

2 hours ago, NicoletteS said:

It firmly grounds construction to use of physical labor with technology available to the humans present, which destroys the tenant that humans couldn't build it. That is one of the arguments used to promote ET involvement. I believe that is what Lucid was implying. 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2018 at 10:47 AM, The Wistman said:

Very interesting, Lucid.  The Fox article links to a LiveScience piece as its source:  https://www.livescience.com/63978-great-pyramid-ramp-discovered.html:.  A couple excerpts:

btw Lucid, I prefer seeing the link in its entirety anyway.  ;)

eta: just realized it looks like I'm trying to crowd in on Lucid's breaking story.  Not my intention, apologies to Lucid.  I was just hoping to flesh out the find a little for readers here. 

no problem lol. thought it was pretty interesting. Could change peoples theories.

On 11/1/2018 at 8:24 PM, The Wistman said:

It'll be interesting to see the schematics of how it was supposed to work.  I wonder might they have used counterweights?

you think they will release those? im sure if they come across them, if they havent already.

2 hours ago, LucidElement said:

you think they will release those? im sure if they come across them, if they havent already.

I expect at some point somebody's going to use the excavation report to analyze the mechanics and speculate about the rigging.  Can't wait to see such goodies.

You guys should check out the thread on Hall of Maat.  Cladking, kborissov, Spiros and their ilk are still in the denial phase.  Give them about it month.  If they are capable of any ounce of reason the truth should sink in by then.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Lord Harry said:

You guys should check out the thread on Hall of Maat.  Cladking, kborissov, Spiros and their ilk are still in the denial phase.  Give them about it month.  If they are capable of any ounce of reason the truth should sink in by then.

What are they saying?

Just now, kmt_sesh said:

What are they saying?

Cladking thinks the ramp is actually a road, while Boris and Spiros are still promoting their own pet theories, and completely ignoring the new archaeological evidence.

6 minutes ago, Lord Harry said:

Cladking thinks the ramp is actually a road, while Boris and Spiros are still promoting their own pet theories, and completely ignoring the new archaeological evidence.

Has anyone reminded clad about the steps and post holes? And absence of geysers? And how on earth is Hall of Maat even tolerating such fringies?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Has anyone reminded clad about the steps and post holes? And absence of geysers? And how on earth is Hall of Maat even tolerating such fringies?

We have all reminded him.  But he is simply rehashing his tired old "the word ramp isn't attested from the Pyramid Age," "Egyptologists make predetermined assumptions about the evidence" blah blah blah.  He has addressed nothing of any substance other than claiming the structure is "too long" to be a ramp.

1 hour ago, Lord Harry said:

We have all reminded him.  But he is simply rehashing his tired old "the word ramp isn't attested from the Pyramid Age," "Egyptologists make predetermined assumptions about the evidence" blah blah blah.  He has addressed nothing of any substance other than claiming the structure is "too long" to be a ramp.

Well, you know as well as I do, it's barely worth the effort.