Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Oumuamua may be an extraterrestrial solar sail

UM-Bot

Just now, Black Monk said:

Like all conjecture, of course.

Please provide evidence for our fantasy.You can start by providing evidence that it was anything but a natural feature.

1 minute ago, seanjo said:

Because it's stupid, inefficient and fantasy.

It's a rock or Ice shard, nothing more.

You don't know that.

2 minutes ago, stereologist said:

There is no evidence that Oumaumau is anything but a natural object.

Please provide evidence that the Voyagers are headed towards a star system they will reach in 40,000 years

You don't believe me? 

Where do YOU think Voyage is heading? You seem a well informed expert on Voyager and its destinations.

1 minute ago, seanjo said:

Aaah but I do...

No, but you dont. You've got as much knowledge as to what exactly Oumuamua is as my pet cat has.

You don't believe me? 

Where do YOU think Voyage is heading? You seem a well informed expert on Voyager and its destinations.

Your fantasy is rather whimsical.

Just now, stereologist said:

I see that in 40,000 year Voyager will NOT reach the next star system, but will be as far out as a star .

So are you going to contact the Voyager experts and tell them in no uncertain terms that they are wrong?

Here is what you posted.

We don't know how close it will be to the planets in the neighbouring star system when it gets there. It may not get very close to any of them as it passes through.

No evidence it is going to do that. In fact, it is unknown if or when Voyagers will enter a star system.

2 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

So are you going to contact the Voyager experts and tell them in no uncertain terms that they are wrong?

Apparently, the problem is your ability to read. Please tell us where you got this dubious story of yours and then we can correct our inability to read.

• Like 1

Let me get another of your dubious statements.

It'll reach Sirius 296,000 years from now.

It will be as far away as Sirius but nowhere near Sirius. So no, Voyager 2 will NOT reach Sirius.

9 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

No, but you dont. You've got as much knowledge as to what exactly Oumuamua is as my pet cat has.

Below comment was posted by you and you even got the basics wrong, so it is very clear here who is on the same level of knowledge as your cats but it isnt Stereo.

However, it'll take another 20,000 years for it to leave the Solar System.

When will the Voyagers reach other star systems? It will be millions of years from now. The Voyagers can drift through space a long time before they are pulled into the gravitational field of a star.

Our solar system is marked to end at the Sun's heliosphere. It is over 200AU out. But a light year is over 60,000 AU.

The Voyagers are not reaching the heliospheres of distant stars. They are simply getting out distances equivalent to distances from Earth to named stars.

48 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Apparently, the problem is your ability to read. Please tell us where you got this dubious story of yours and then we can correct our inability to read.

What's dubious about Voyager reaching the next star system in 40,000 years' time?

17 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Does your cat know the chances of a sentient made object visiting this system?

No.

46 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Let me get another of your dubious statements.

It will be as far away as Sirius but nowhere near Sirius. So no, Voyager 2 will NOT reach Sirius.

Says who?

Are you arguing with the experts?

Edited by Black Monk

44 minutes ago, toast said:

Below comment was posted by you and you even got the basics wrong, so it is very clear here who is on the same level of knowledge as your cats but it isnt Stereo.

No, I didn't.

As folks are interested in the Voyagers general direction of travel here’s a bit of trivia you might find interesting ?

Voyager 1 will pass within 1.6 LY of Gliese 445 in about 40,000 yrs; it is presently located 17.6 LY from Earth. I say presently as Gliese is moving relative to the Sun and is moving towards us faster than Voyager is speeding towards Gleiese 445.

Gliese will have covered around 14 light years over that time and in 40,000 yrs will only be 3.45 LY from the sun when it will start to move away from its close approach to us.

Geliese’s own movement will greatly reduce the time needed to reach it.

It is a very big galaxy so you might think that a similar coincidence could not happen to Voyager2.

Voyager2 is travelling towards the star Ross 248 and in about 40,000 yrs will be within 1.7 LY. But Ross 248 is also moving towards the sun and will be just 3 LY away at its closest approach in 40,000 yrs having travelled 7 LY in our direction.

Gliese 445 and Ross 248 are two stars out of a short list of half a dozen that, due to their motion and current position, come anywhere near the sun in the next 100,000 yrs.  

FrancescoA - Near-stars-past-future-de.svg.01.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Black Monk said:

What's dubious about Voyager reaching the next star system in 40,000 years' time?

Because it is not going to reach a star system in 40,000 years. If you think different please post the evidence.

Please view the well worked out material from L.A.T.1961 to understand why the Voyager spacecraft will NOT reach these star systems but will only be as far out as these star systems.

Edited by stereologist

2 hours ago, Black Monk said:

Says who?

Are you arguing with the experts?

If you want to provide evidence for your story then please do. I do know you are dead wrong on this issue so please go ahead and try to show us what has you so confused.

18 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Because it is not going to reach a star system in 40,000 years. If you think different please post the evidence.

It is thought it will take Voyager about 20,000 years to leave the Oort Cloud on the outer boundary of the Solar System and in around 40,000 years' time it will reach the star Gliese 445, 20.4 light years away.

Edited by Black Monk

8 minutes ago, seanjo said:

I do, next to nothing...it's a rock, you know that I know that.

Of course, we don't.

It is thought it will take Voyager about 20,000 years to leave the Oort Cloud on the outer boundary of the Solar System and in around 40,000 years' time it will reach Gliese 445, 20.4 light years away.

Please provide the evidence. Your blabbing without posting sources is amusing.

The simple fact is that what you just posted is a ridiculous falsehood. You couldn't be more wrong. So please show us the source so that I can stop wondering why you are so confused.

4 minutes ago, stereologist said:

You might want to read L.A.T.1961's post to see how utterly wrong you are.

Alright, then. So it'll take Voyager LESS than 40,000 years to reach the next star system.

Alright, then. So it'll take Voyager LESS than 40,000 years to reach the next star system.

Seems that reading is very difficult for you. The spaceship will not reach the star system but only the distance of the star system.

The Voyagers will not reach star systems for millions of years. They will be out in the galaxy someplace, but in star systems.

So please provide the link so that we can help you understand where you went wrong.