Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

'Oumuamua may be an extraterrestrial solar sail

154 posts in this topic

psyche101
10 minutes ago, NotAlien7 said:

I am aware that is what they have said. I believe it was something like 24 million miles from Earth when the observatory in Hawaii spotted it. I'm also aware of the video with the astronomers who found it talking about how they felt when they first saw it coming in. I realize that could be a slip of the tongue or maybe she was using the term "coming in" generally, also it was claimed the object was red in color then I read it was green. A year ago they were saying the suns gravity had no effect on it now they are saying it's slowing down from the effects of the suns gravity. How would they know the sun's gravity did or didn't have an effect on the object if they didn't see it coming in? None of this matters now the object is gone and only a minimum amount of data will be of any use to future scientists on such objects. Chances are they won't get another chance in their lifetime to observe such an object in that sense they have miserably failed.

The suns gravity did have effect on it  it was moving to fast to be captured by gravitational pull.

stereologist
13 hours ago, NotAlien7 said:

I am aware that is what they have said. I believe it was something like 24 million miles from Earth when the observatory in Hawaii spotted it. I'm also aware of the video with the astronomers who found it talking about how they felt when they first saw it coming in. I realize that could be a slip of the tongue or maybe she was using the term "coming in" generally, also it was claimed the object was red in color then I read it was green. A year ago they were saying the suns gravity had no effect on it now they are saying it's slowing down from the effects of the suns gravity. How would they know the sun's gravity did or didn't have an effect on the object if they didn't see it coming in? None of this matters now the object is gone and only a minimum amount of data will be of any use to future scientists on such objects. Chances are they won't get another chance in their lifetime to observe such an object in that sense they have miserably failed.

The exit path for the object was seen to be an hyperbole. It was not an ellipse as would be the case of an object from the solar system. The path that it took coming inward can be determined from the path it is taking going away. There will be some uncertainty because of out gassing effects. An asteroid does not out gas, boil off volatiles. The object is being observed to slow down but that slow down is not what gravity predicts. Therefore, some other force is affecting the object.

Miserably failed? No. Observing such objects is based on their detection. There might be other smaller objects that cannot be detected at this time. The device that detected this object was designed to do another job. That fact it picked up this object is a great success.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Grey Area
On 21/01/2019 at 2:26 AM, NotAlien7 said:

I hate to say it but scientists really showed their rear's on this one. They claim they knew interstellar objects come through our solar system all along but they stood and watched the first and only known one fly away. Even over a year later they are saying they don't know what it was. I have read so many different things about it I believe them when they say they don't know. The amount of money that has passed through NASA and they in a once in a lifetime opportunity failed so horribly bad for not being prepared. I shutter to think what would happen if a large astroid was suddenly spotted 24 million miles from Earth coming straight at us.

It’s a big deal launching a rocket into orbit, it takes a great deal of time and effort to get a small payload into low earth orbit, not to mention designing and building a scientific probe which would be said payload.

it takes even more effort, to get a man made object to leave the earths gravitational influence.

Now the sun is around 330 thousand times as massive as the earth, so imagine how difficult it is to escape the Suns gravitational influence.  Let alone plotting a rendezvous with an object already on an escape trajectory.

Add into this that missions outside of Earths influence are carefully planned to enable craft to use the gravity of other objects to assist them, which can mean missions will wait until orbital positions are favourable.

It was an impossible opportunity, this isn’t Star Trek with spaceships just hanging around waiting for orders, in the real world missions take years of planning and development, and even then, many fail.

Myles

This guy is doubling down on his claim.

“Considering an artificial origin, one possibility is that ‘Oumuamua is a lightsail, floating in interstellar space as a debris from an advanced technological equipment,” Loeb and his colleague Shmuel Bialy wrote in Astrophysical Journal Letters in November, according to the Washington Post.

Since making the shock claim last year, many scientists have criticized Loeb for offering, in their view, the most sensationalist theory of what the object is.

“Oumuamua is not an alien spaceship, and the authors of the paper insult honest scientific inquiry to even suggest it,” Ohio State University astrophysicist Paul M. Sutter wrote in a tweet. Other scientists are more diplomatic and haven’t publicly countered Loeb’s claims, only saying that the object is likely just some sort of rock, whether it’s a piece of an asteroid or a comet.

But Loeb remains stubborn on this theory, and dismisses the claims that it’s a rock, noting that it's moving too fast for an inert rock. He told the Post that the object is long yet no more than one millimeter thick, and that it’s so light that sunlight is moving the object out of the solar system.

“Many people expected once there would be this publicity, I would back down,” Loeb says. “If someone shows me evidence to the contrary, I will immediately back down.”

“It changes your perception on reality, just knowing that we’re not alone,” he continued. “We are fighting on borders, on resources. … It would make us feel part of planet Earth as a civilization rather than individual countries voting on Brexit.”

https://www.foxnews.com/science/harvard-prof-doesnt-back-down-from-claims-extraterrestrial-spacecraft-tech-is-flying-past-jupiter-orbit