Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Oumuamua may be an extraterrestrial solar sail

UM-Bot

6 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Escape velocity is a specific type of velocity relative to direction. It is not velocity alone.

It's velocity that's need for an object to escape a moon or other planets gravity...Works the same way with rockets blasted from Earth...Without the proper escape velocity the rocket would never leave Earths atmosphere. Escape velocity reduces the further out you get....

It is not velocity alone.

This is irrelevant in this case.

2 minutes ago, Alien Origins said:

This is irrelevant in this case.

It is only irrelevant when the course, position and velocity are known. In case of the Oumuamua most of us don't know them. Do you?

13 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

It is only irrelevant when the course, position and velocity are known. In case of the Oumuamua most of us don't know them. Do you?

Posted already

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I found a real pic posted by the Gemini telescope and one by the william herschel . Please dont jump the gun here when I state that according to my understanding the tumbling and shape of the object was determined on supposition rather than visuals. Essentially the amount of light dimming and brighting as it was moving from point a to b  was the main element.

What if was truly an alien object, a space craft or an intelligent probe? It could have been as well round with pulsatory light which made scientists confused? What if we have missed the change of our lives to photograph a real alien made craft? 

3-couldoumuamu.jpg

image_5548_2e-Oumuamua.jpg

Edited by qxcontinuum

1 hour ago, qxcontinuum said:

I found a real pic posted by the Gemini telescope and one by the william herschel . Please dont jump the gun here when I state that according to my understanding the tumbling and shape of the object was determined on supposition rather than visuals. Essentially the amount of light dimming and brighting as it was moving from point a to b  was the main element.

What if was truly an alien object, a space craft or an intelligent probe? It could have been as well round with pulsatory light which made scientists confused? What if we have missed the change of our lives to photograph a real alien made craft? 

3-couldoumuamu.jpg

image_5548_2e-Oumuamua.jpg

That's a good idea that this might have been a pulsing light rather than a reflection off of the object that was tumbling.

The light spectrum matches sunlight and it matches the doppler shifted sunlight.

If an alien were signalling don't you think it would try to be different than the natural sources?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stereologist said:

That's a good idea that this might have been a pulsing light rather than a reflection off of the object that was tumbling.

The light spectrum matches sunlight and it matches the doppler shifted sunlight.

If an alien were signalling don't you think it would try to be different than the natural sources?

I don't think they were signalling their presence, by contrary maybe camouflage themselves attempting to pass as a celestial object. Or maybe it was simply metallic in which case could reflect the sun light spectrum. 

Another interesting detail, scientists have mentioned immediately they saw the object was that its light indicates organic matter. 

24 minutes ago, qxcontinuum said:

I don't think they were signalling their presence, by contrary maybe camouflage themselves attempting to pass as a celestial object. Or maybe it was simply metallic in which case could reflect the sun light spectrum. 

Another interesting detail, scientists have mentioned immediately they saw the object was that its light indicates organic matter. 

Why would anyone try to hide by actively pulsing? Makes no sense at all. Best to not pulse at all and be totally natural.

So it reflects sunlight and you think t hat suggests metallic? The Moon is not metallic and it reflects sunlight as do all of the planets.

So what scientists saw was that it absorbed part of the spectrum suggestive of organic compounds. Comets do that.S ome asteroids do it too.

https://earthsky.org/space/asteroids-comets-mars-organic-molecules

Do you see that you are proposing that there was no active pulsing?

This is good. You are actively considering lots of ideas and pointing out ones that are less likely - well done.

Edited by stereologist

looks to me that scientists are now considered this possibility. This is the topic about I believe :-) 

I hear people talking about Voyager in 20,000 years but I'm yet to hear anyone mention the risks of it being destroyed by other space debris. Is that not worth worrying about? Just curious as I hope it lasts forever but I feel as though a collision is inevitable at some point.

9 hours ago, Mx449 said:

I hear people talking about Voyager in 20,000 years but I'm yet to hear anyone mention the risks of it being destroyed by other space debris. Is that not worth worrying about? Just curious as I hope it lasts forever but I feel as though a collision is inevitable at some point.

The possibility o a collision is there, but the densest debris is around our planet. The probe was sent to avoid the rings of Saturn and now it i in interstellar space where collisions tend to be with molecules.

5 hours ago, stereologist said:

The possibility o a collision is there, but the densest debris is around our planet. The probe was sent to avoid the rings of Saturn and now it i in interstellar space where collisions tend to be with molecules.

Excuse my ignorance. I'm fascinated by this stuff but know very little.

What do you mean collisions tend to be with molecules. When we look up into space, we see millions of stars which Voyager has already traveled through. Voyager will now be going into area's that we aren't able to see to know what is actually there. 

Are you basically saying that the further out you go, the emptier space gets as far as comets, planets, and other forms of dust or "rocks?" Is it like that only until it reaches another star system?

Could space be compared to living in a rural area such as the Midwest in the US?  Meaning that you have a town (Our galaxy/star system) full of a few thousand people (stars/planets) and to travel to the next dense town, or galaxy, similar to our own, you would travel through emptiness such as a highway surrounded by nothing but corn fields and grass pastures until you reached the next dense area?

19 minutes ago, Mx449 said:

When we look up into space, we see millions of stars which Voyager has already traveled through.

The number of stars which Voyager has already traveled through is: zero. :yes:

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mx449 said:

Excuse my ignorance. I'm fascinated by this stuff but know very little.

What do you mean collisions tend to be with molecules. When we look up into space, we see millions of stars which Voyager has already traveled through. Voyager will now be going into area's that we aren't able to see to know what is actually there. 

Are you basically saying that the further out you go, the emptier space gets as far as comets, planets, and other forms of dust or "rocks?" Is it like that only until it reaches another star system?

Could space be compared to living in a rural area such as the Midwest in the US?  Meaning that you have a town (Our galaxy/star system) full of a few thousand people (stars/planets) and to travel to the next dense town, or galaxy, similar to our own, you would travel through emptiness such as a highway surrounded by nothing but corn fields and grass pastures until you reached the next dense area?

The Voyagers are still closes to our Sun. They have just passed through the heliopause which is where the solar wind stops. Outside of that is the interstellar zone. The heliopause is around 200AU out. That's small compared to a light year which is 63,000 plus AU. An AU is the distance form the Sun to the Earth. It will be a long time before either Voyager craft is as far away as a star. 

Most of space is filled with molecules - atoms joined together. Hydrogen pairs up to make H2. Nitrogen pairs up as N2. Oxygen as O2. Helium does not like to do anything but be on its own. It's a Nobel gas and just 1 He at a time. There isn't much between the stars but gas which is usually hydrogen which forms molecules of H2.

I like your analogy but space is really big and empty. The nearest star right now is Alpha Centuri. That means it is the brightest star, the alpha, in the constellation Centaurus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Centauri

Let's make our math simple. It still gets the general idea across. The closest star i s 4 light years away. That makes it around a quarter of a million AU away.  Let's say that New York City to Los Angeles is 3000 miles. Then each AU would be 63 feet. 

Imagine our Sun at Cleopatra's needle in Central Park and Alpha Centauri at Los Angeles. The Earth would  be just outside of the paved area around the need. The Voyager space craft are just over the Hudson river at this time, maybe to Bergen NJ. To get to the nearest star today they need to get to Los Angles. It's a long trip to get there.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mx449 said:

Essentially yes. Individual star systems contain much more material than the interstellar medium that surrounds them. 

A lot of solar system material is located in a disc around the sun. Generally this is where planets form and many of the bigger pieces of the solar system are found. 

It is also where a lot of the available telescope time is used to explore our solar system as it generates more results.

This is one reason 'Oumuamua was not seen earlier, and similar objects may have previously slipped through undetected, as it approached our solar system from well above the plane of the disc. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumstellar_disc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstellar_medium  

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, stereologist said:

The Voyagers are still closes to our Sun. They have just passed through the heliopause which is where the solar wind stops. Outside of that is the interstellar zone. The heliopause is around 200AU out. That's small compared to a light year which is 63,000 plus AU. An AU is the distance form the Sun to the Earth. It will be a long time before either Voyager craft is as far away as a star. 

Most of space is filled with molecules - atoms joined together. Hydrogen pairs up to make H2. Nitrogen pairs up as N2. Oxygen as O2. Helium does not like to do anything but be on its own. It's a Nobel gas and just 1 He at a time. There isn't much between the stars but gas which is usually hydrogen which forms molecules of H2.

I like your analogy but space is really big and empty. The nearest star right now is Alpha Centuri. That means it is the brightest star, the alpha, in the constellation Centaurus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Centauri

Let's make our math simple. It still gets the general idea across. The closest star i s 4 light years away. That makes it around a quarter of a million AU away.  Let's say that New York City to Los Angeles is 3000 miles. Then each AU would be 63 feet. 

Imagine our Sun at Cleopatra's needle in Central Park and Alpha Centauri at Los Angeles. The Earth would  be just outside of the paved area around the need. The Voyager space craft are just over the Hudson river at this time, maybe to Bergen NJ. To get to the nearest star today they need to get to Los Angles. It's a long trip to get there.

Very well explained.

• Like 1

What's funny about stories like this is, sources like SecureTeam10 and other like him who push non stop rubbish stories about UFO's and aliens, suddenly jump on this story.  So let me get this straight, you just got done telling people you think there are fleets and mother ships next to the sun, and UFO's chasing planes and flying around the planet, but you also think aliens need to probe us with an uncontrollable hunk of stone zooming through our solar system?  Wouldn't that be counter productive for the aliens?  I mean, you tell people they are sucking energy out of the sun to fuel their ships, and they are seen all over the world in UFO encounters, but they still need to probe us with a flying rock?  Ok there..

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

It's a spaceship.  The it's an asteroid explanation is the government and "scientists" lying 

Edited by BuddingPsychic1111

49 minutes ago, BuddingPsychic1111 said:

It's a spaceship.  The it's an asteroid explanation is the government and "scientists" lying 

Prove it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuddingPsychic1111 said:

Get you get a link for that, BP...?

Ahh, never mind!

I see no evidence of a cover-up around Oumuamua. Quite a few facts that make the the 'spaceship' hypothesis seem more likely have been released and discuss by various scientists. These include the peculiar, very elongated shape of the object, its unexpected brightness, and the so-far unaccounted-for thrust. The latter  is required to explain the fact that Oumuamua is departing our solar system at a greater speed than can be accounted for by known causes. Recall, too, that it was scientists at the Breakthrough Listen project and the SETI Institute who saw fit to openly monitor the object for intelligent radio signals.  

@bison   - If that "rock" is a spaceship, they have to be the slowest traveling ET's this side of Andromeda 

Oumuamua could have been traveling slowly because it was observing our solar system. We have not been able to see it for some time.We do not know how fast it is currently traveling. There is sound evidence that additional thrust had already been applied, increasing the object's speed somewhat, before we lost sight of it.  It is perfectly possible that it continued to accelerate.  

Well, Bison, that is possible.  I'm just having a hard time trying to digest why an alien civilization would make a spacecraft look like a rock. And slow down to observe this solar system...? If they stopped into Edie's do-nut shop for a cup of coffee, then I'd be impressed lol

19 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Well, Bison, that is possible.  I'm just having a hard time trying to digest why an alien civilization would make a spacecraft look like a rock.

The idea sounds strange but there are some advantages to modifying something already in space. If you select a rock with the right composition many of the materials needed to create a habitat might be there already and it saves trying to launch a heavy object into orbit. Just fly necessary components up and bolt on.

As long as it is structurally stable an asteroid could be hollowed out (observations suggest that ‘Oumuamua is dense, composed of rock and possibly metals). The asteroid should provide protection from radiation and impacts and if you had no desire to announce your arrival a modified asteroid is also stealthy. ;) 

https://www.centauri-dreams.org/2012/05/14/remembering-dandridge-cole/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1