Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Doctor Who Christmas special axed

Still Waters

The annual Doctor Who Christmas episode has been axed for the first time since the show was rebooted in 2005.

According to reports, there will be an hour-long special New Year episode to usher in 2019 instead.

“BBC bosses have already made the bold move of shifting the entire series from Saturday to Sunday nights so they won’t be scared about moving the festive special from Christmas to New Year,” a source told The Daily Mirror.

The possibility of a non-Christmas instalment has been in the air for a while.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/doctor-christmas-special-axed-first-time-13-years-favour-new-year-episode-105214848.html

• Haha 1

I always used to catch the repeat around New Year's because there was too much to do on Christmas day.  The change will certainly give more people the chance to see it on TV.  Although it could mean they are scrapping the repeat showing which was around New Years.  They probably realized that more people watch it on BBC iplayer anyway, so they decided to just air the main show on New Years and scrap the repeat.  Get more viewers and save a bit of money.

Edited by Aaron2016

I read that they had simply run out of Christmassy story lines, which to my mind suggests the writing team isn't very creative.

I used to love Dr Who - until it became nothing more than a tool for the leftie BBC to lecture us on right-on, PC issues.

Here we have a female Doctor and one whose (non-white) co-assistant has dyspraxia.

One recent episode was, in fact, an absolute rip-off of a 1989 episode of Quantum Leap called The Color of Truth (the show's makers should sue the BBC) in which the Doctor and her equally right-on mates ended up - like Sam Beckett - in 1955 Alabama and ended up meeting Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King.  Unlike Sam, though, they came up against a white racist alien called Krasko who was attempting to rewire history by fly-posting some bus cancellations.

And where that Quantum Leap episode delivered a powerful tale with charm, subtlety, humour, a proper story and a great script Doctor Who did it with pompousness, condescension and a terrible script.

There's also been an episode of this series which did nothing but attack the brilliant Donald Trump.

So Doctor Who goes the way of other once-great British institutions that have now been taken over by the Left - it's a mess and not fit for purpose.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

I used to love Dr Who - until it became nothing more than a tool for the leftie BBC to lecture us on right-on, PC issues.

Here we have a female Doctor and one whose (non-white) co-assistant has dyspraxia.

One recent episode was, in fact, an absolute rip-off of a 1989 episode of Quantum Leap called The Color of Truth (the show's makers should sue the BBC) in which the Doctor and her equally right-on mates ended up - like Sam Beckett - in 1955 Alabama and ended up meeting Ross Parks and Martin Luther King.  Unlike that Quantum Leap episode, they came up against a white racist alien called Krasko who was attempting to rewire history by fly-posting some bus cancellations.

There's also been an episode of this series which did nothing but attack the brilliant Donald Trump.

So Doctor Who goes the way of other once-great British institutions that have now been taken over by the Left - it's a mess and not fit for purpose.

Feels more like a spinoff rather than the genuine article. I've watched it for over 40 years. 

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The stories haven’t been World shaking, but the charm of Whittaker and Walsh carry the day for me.

We finally have a Doctor Who isn’t miserable all the time, or full of puppy dog eyes and mooning over his lost companions or running around sprouting catch phrases. The closest we get to a catch phrase is the Doctor verbalising her thought processes.

the only pointless bits have been the pregnant bloke and the needless dig at Yaz’s dad. Ohh and Yaz, who has shown precisely no personality or character. And the naff console room. 

Even the nasty businessman is just that - a nasty businessman. TV trope 101, have a nasty businessman being nasty to people.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

The stories haven’t been World shaking, but the charm of Whittaker and Walsh carry the day for me.

We finally have a Doctor Who isn’t miserable all the time, or full of puppy dog eyes and mooning over his lost companions or running around sprouting catch phrases. The closest we get to a catch phrase is the Doctor verbalising her thought processes.

the only pointless bits have been the pregnant bloke and the needless dig at Yaz’s dad. Ohh and Yaz, who has shown precisely no personality or character. And the naff console room. 

Even the nasty businessman is just that - a nasty businessman. TV trope 101, have a nasty businessman being nasty to people.

I'm just not a fan of Whittaker. I think she's a Matt Smith try hard with a helping of David tenant. 

I'd agree with Walsh though, losing his wife endears him immediately and he's original in a Leftbridge Stewart sort of way.

But... 

The TARDIS can't turn green, the chameleon circuit is busted, the crystal hippy console is right out of character not junkyard typewriters, telephones bits n bobs and that's the worst sonic screwdriver in history and Whittaker said its not actually a screwdriver. The hide! 

Its more like a low budget spin off. Whittaker was a bad choice. 

A female Doctor Who is not progress

My complain about the console room is that it’s too crowded, get rid of the pillars and spend some extra cash on making the rotor not an obvious lump of plastic.

and make it any colour other than gaudy yellow. A nice mellow blue maybe.

but I like Whittaker, she’s playing the Doctor with a sense of optimism and curiosity thsts been lacking between the scarred war survivors and grumpy Scotsmen.

The Doctor SHOULD be constantly in awe of the universe, peteperully upset that things aren’t nice, always looking for see what’s on the other side of the hill and not moping, miserable and mumbling.

19 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

My complain about the console room is that it’s too crowded, get rid of the pillars and spend some extra cash on making the rotor not an obvious lump of plastic.

and make it any colour other than gaudy yellow. A nice mellow blue maybe.

Round things. 

Where are the round things???? 

Has this woman ever even been in a TARDIS before???? 

tumblr_mwr1igxcBL1r540gio4_500.gif

tumblr_mwr1igxcBL1r540gio2_500.gif

but I like Whittaker, she’s playing the Doctor with a sense of optimism and curiosity thsts been lacking between the scarred war survivors and grumpy Scotsmen.

I think she's a Matt Smith clone. Watch her use the sonic whatever she is going to call it. That's a Matt Smith move through and through. And she switches to Tenant all the time when she picks up speed. 

The Doctor SHOULD be constantly in awe of the universe, peteperully upset that things aren’t nice, always looking for see what’s on the other side of the hill and not moping, miserable and mumbling.

Not always, he's over a thousand. He's seen a lot. He's always been a quirky abstract somewhat arrogant personality. That's who he is. It's not really 'The Doctor' anymore. It's a spin off. I've always known the Doctor to be the character he is, not what others want him to be. 

I thought Christopher Eccleston was a great doctor. 

Over a thousand, over nine thousand, over a million ... it doesn’t matter. Wanderlust and fascination should never be stripped away from someone because of age. Curiosity is timeless. Awe is ageless.

The Doctor’s universe is a scary, terrible place but the Doctor is a light in the dark. They shouldn’t be dark as well. They should be the ultimate rebuttal to Nietche, the Doctor stared into the Abyss and went “ohh look! Rocks!” and thr things in the abyss stared back uncomprehending because the Doctor was so unlike them. Notbthe Destroyer Of World’s Who on his best day is the Dcotor, but the Doctor Who on his worst day was appalled that someone wanted to blow up the universe.

On 11/7/2018 at 8:16 AM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Over a thousand, over nine thousand, over a million ... it doesn’t matter. Wanderlust and fascination should never be stripped away from someone because of age. Curiosity is timeless. Awe is ageless.

He carried the guilt of Galifrey for a long time. And he watched Kylie Minogue die. That's gotta be depressing even for a Time Lord. 

On 11/7/2018 at 8:16 AM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

The Doctor’s universe is a scary, terrible place but the Doctor is a light in the dark. They shouldn’t be dark as well. They should be the ultimate rebuttal to Nietche, the Doctor stared into the Abyss and went “ohh look! Rocks!” and thr things in the abyss stared back uncomprehending because the Doctor was so unlike them. Notbthe Destroyer Of World’s Who on his best day is the Dcotor, but the Doctor Who on his worst day was appalled that someone wanted to blow up the universe.

Its that responsibility to be a light in the dark that sent him in a downward spiral in the David Tenant Matt Smith era. The loss of his assistants who looked up to him.