Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Bird from Atlantis' mystery finally solved

UM-Bot

'Now though, a new study led by scientists at Lund University in Sweden has determined that the ancestors of Atlantisia rogersi likely flew to the island from South America 1.5 million years ago."  as if we were around 1.5 million years ago? 

28 minutes ago, Maars said:

'Now though, a new study led by scientists at Lund University in Sweden has determined that the ancestors of Atlantisia rogersi likely flew to the island from South America 1.5 million years ago."  as if we were around 1.5 million years ago? 

Right? I love how they always day age old mysyery solved... because one guy guessed that it may have happened differently. No evidence or anything but his random guesses are as good as fact!

Having read the story and the reason they lost the ability to fly.... I would have thought that the conclusion they have come up with is the most obvious explanation?

• Like 1

Sort of like how, the more memes you use the more mentally disabled you become, because humans require a baseline of intelligence to communicate through language. So the less mentally capable masses are settling for easier ways to communicate with each-other that they can understand.

• Like 1

Ahhhhh the Google Generation Gap

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A note about " less mentally capable masses " and communication

~

The Musical Genius (Autism Documentary) - Real Stories Real Stories Verified • 292K views

~

• Like 1

The birds settled with the easier most efficient method to eat and procreate in their environment, and so they evolved through natural selection. Now that very evolutionary decision has selected them into extinction. the same as humans.

Humans however aren't going extinct against their will but by choice, Instead of utilizing the countless inventions to coexist they choose to spread like bacteria and use methods that are more profitable in the short term.

What does the fact that some mentally disabled people can excel at certain things than others who aren't have to do with the fact that the masses are stupider now than they were in the past? This doesn't change my opinion, memes are a toddlers' form of humor, and if someone likes them I will think of them as mentally less capable than the average person. I base my decisions from observing others, all of these people who I've seen that like memes are dumb as ****. 

Edited by It's Just An Opinion

A great big "Duh" on this article. Sounds like a grad project to me.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2018 at 5:58 AM, Maars said:

I believe the article says they determined 1.5 million years by doing a DNA analysis and finding it's nearest living relative and then extrapolating how long such a change would have taken. This is done all the time to determine how closely animal species are related.

From the linked article:

Among other things, they analysed the DNA of the Inaccessible Island rail using modern sequencing techniques. In this way, the researchers were able to determine that the bird's closest now living relatives are the dot-winged crake in South America and the black rail found in both South and North America.

You sure a fish didn't evolve into a bird then into an insect, then a bird, and then just forgot to fly because it's trying to be a fish again? I mean apparently evolution suggests fish became land animals then went back to the water and became whales. Evolution is such a joke, lol.

Edited by Trenix

12 minutes ago, Trenix said:

You sure a fish didn't evolve into a bird then into an insect, then a bird, and then just forgot to fly because it's trying to be a fish again? I mean apparently evolution suggests fish became land animals then went back to the water and became whales. Evolution is such a joke, lol.

It's a bit more complicated than that, actually. Not even a terribly good strawman, for that matter. 

3 minutes ago, ShadowSot said:

It's a bit more complicated than that, actually. Not even a terribly good strawman, for that matter. 

It's as complicated as believing in the existence of God. Strawman argument? It wasn't even my own, but literally from the Smithsonian museum of natural history. Bursted out laughing when I read it.

33 minutes ago, Trenix said:

It's as complicated as believing in the existence of God. Strawman argument? It wasn't even my own, but literally from the Smithsonian museum of natural history. Bursted out laughing when I read it.

First, evolution isn't directly opposed to religion. Most Christians these days follow it, after all, these days. 

Second, if you mean that fish developed into land animals, then yes. This has both genetic and Fossil support. 

Your initial statement, however, shows at best poor comprehension or delighted ignorance. 

1 hour ago, Trenix said:

Of course that's a joke, because that doesn't even come close to describing evolution.

On 11/6/2018 at 9:47 PM, ShadowSot said:

First, evolution isn't directly opposed to religion. Most Christians these days follow it, after all, these days. 

Second, if you mean that fish developed into land animals, then yes. This has both genetic and Fossil support. 

Your initial statement, however, shows at best poor comprehension or delighted ignorance. 

I believe in some aspects of evolution, but not most. Also there is not any scientific evidence of evolution from a fish to a land animal, that's a complete lie. Prove it, outside of just a concept. At some point, all of us had to be created. If you want me to believe some organism was created in a pool of water by heat and whatnot, then I'll continue to laugh. The concept of a universe being created, an earth, evolution, and possibility of mankind simply requires a miracle. Meaning, you cannot explain it by science therefore science should take no part in it. Adaptation for example, I agree with. However, no matter how much you stay in water, you're not going to become a fish. Weird, so many humans across the world and none of them fly or are water animals... lol. There are clear limits to how we adapt, I don't believe in a change in kind whatsoever nor do I believe we have a common ancestor to other animals.

Edited by Trenix

1 hour ago, Trenix said:

I believe in some aspects of evolution, but not most. Also there is not any scientific evidence of evolution from a fish to a land animal, that's a complete lie. Prove it, outside of just a concept. At some point, all of us had to be created. If you want me to believe some organism was created in a pool of water by heat and whatnot, then I'll continue to laugh. The concept of a universe being created, an earth, evolution, and possibility of mankind simply requires a miracle. Meaning, you cannot explain it by science therefore science should take no part in it. Adaptation for example, I agree with. However, no matter how much you stay in water, you're not going to become a fish. Weird, so many humans across the world and none of them fly or are water animals... lol. There are clear limits to how we adapt, I don't believe in a change in kind whatsoever nor do I believe we have a common ancestor to other animals.

I look forward to your scientific paper, explaining Fossil finds like tiktaalik, which shows gills and rudimentary air breathing and legs, as well as other fossils. 

Frankly, you are woefully uninformed about it, which I request you take the time to study. 

As for humans, we are a recent development, and have no existed long enough for selection pressure, which are absent in any case, to push us towards aquatic adaption. 

All you have given as an argument is incredulity. Being incredulous only shows your own ignorance. 

15 hours ago, ShadowSot said:

I look forward to your scientific paper, explaining Fossil finds like tiktaalik, which shows gills and rudimentary air breathing and legs, as well as other fossils. 

Frankly, you are woefully uninformed about it, which I request you take the time to study. 

As for humans, we are a recent development, and have no existed long enough for selection pressure, which are absent in any case, to push us towards aquatic adaption. 

All you have given as an argument is incredulity. Being incredulous only shows your own ignorance. 

There are several fish that go on land. I'm assuming you believe they will eventually evolve to live on land. This doesn't explain anything.

Edited by Trenix