Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

Laser 'beacon' could be used to attract aliens

80 posts in this topic

AllPossible

The Morse code of the Cosmos

NicoletteS

Not smart. Its a cute idea but has anyone considered how idiotic it is just to flag down the attention of any nearby civilisation  without having a clue whats around us? Odds are intelligence rises from predatory behavior. This is like going in the woods at night and calling for anyone to hear you. The timid will avoid you and the predators will try to eat you. They are gambling with our whole planet here with no clue who could spot us.

• Like 1

XenoFish
3 minutes ago, NicoletteS said:

Not smart. Its a cute idea but has anyone considered how idiotic it is just to flag down the attention of any nearby civilisation  without having a clue whats around us? Odds are intelligence rises from predatory behavior. This is like going in the woods at night and calling for anyone to hear you. The timid will avoid you and the predators will try to eat you. They are gambling with our whole planet here with no clue who could spot us.

Isn't it a bit paranoid to think a space faring species will automatically be hostile. 

• Like 7

jmccr8
19 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Isn't it a bit paranoid to think a space faring species will automatically be hostile. 

Hi Xeno

I would exercise caution, remember there were those rebels that were exiled from Urantia. Dealing with them might be a nasty bit of work.:whistle:

jmccr8

• Like 2

XenoFish
Just now, jmccr8 said:

Hi Xeno

I would exercise caution, remember there were those rebels that were exiled from Urantia. Dealing with them might be a nasty bit of work.:whistle:

jmccr8

We've lost you. Now you're a part of the UB cult. Today is truly a sad day.:lol:

• Haha 3

jmccr8
Just now, XenoFish said:

We've lost you. Now you're a part of the UB cult. Today is truly a sad day.:lol:

I'm undercover

jmccr8

• Haha 2

XenoFish

If any species is going to be hostile to other planetary visitors, it'll be us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

jmccr8
6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Yeah I can see it all now, some aliens show up and some earthlings ply them with women and booze then jack their ride when they're passed out.:lol:

jmccr8

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

seanjo

Why would we want to attract attention? Best practice would be to observe the Aliens first so we know they have peaceful intent.

seanjo
53 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Any species that has reached the pinnacle of their particular evolutionary tree will be inherently violent.

AllPossible
1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

LOL sad but true. Were so hostile and out of control they might of just passed us up. If they locked into our TV shows from the past 20 years they would be afraid to even get close. Rupauls drag show alone probably scared the hell out of them

Sir Wearer of Hats
5 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Well, using the only sentient species we are aware of (humans, dolphins and lamas)  we can safely assume that they’ll be at the very least miserly and likely to spit on you (Lamas), if not homicidal (humans) rapists (Dolphins).

XenoFish
3 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Well, using the only sentient species we are aware of (humans, dolphins and lamas)  we can safely assume that they’ll be at the very least miserly and likely to spit on you (Lamas), if not homicidal (humans) rapists (Dolphins).

That's if galaxy travel xenomorph's even exist at all. 

• Haha 2

Sir Wearer of Hats
33 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

That's if galaxy travel xenomorph's even exist at all. 

I honestly didn’t intend to allude to the Xenomorph.

XenoFish
11 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I honestly didn’t intend to allude to the Xenomorph.

Strange Form that's what xenomorph actually means. 

• Like 1

Sir Wearer of Hats
3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Strange Form that's what xenomorph actually means. 

Well, I assumed it mean “creepy face-rape vagina-crab monster”.

• Haha 3

XenoFish
1 minute ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Well, I assumed it mean “creepy face-rape vagina-crab monster”.

No.:lol:

I was eluding to something beyond our normal idea of intelligent life. Something that might have develop on a world like ours but just a little different. To be honest. I think the only alien life we'll probably ever see/come across will be microbial. Then the problem become "Did we do this on accident". 

Habitat
5 hours ago, seanjo said:

Any species that has reached the pinnacle of their particular evolutionary tree will be inherently violent.

That's an interesting statement. But do you mean violent in the sense of killing others of the same species ?

seanjo
35 minutes ago, Habitat said:

That's an interesting statement. But do you mean violent in the sense of killing others of the same species ?

Violent like Humans are violent.

XenoFish

I actually read the thread title wrong at first. Thought it said Laser 'Bacon'......

• Haha 3

toast
8 hours ago, NicoletteS said:

Not smart. Its a cute idea but has anyone considered how idiotic it is just to flag down the attention of any nearby civilisation  without having a clue whats around us?

Because we humans are curious on principle. Curiosity has been and will remain the fuel of our further development. 200k years ago we humans have sit in the mud and said: "mphf-blmblm-(burb)-grunz", today we do neurosurgery, spaceflight and are sitting in front of nice flat screens and communicate with each other across oceans within milliseconds, like here on UM. Because of the results of curiosity in the past.

And, why do you think that an extraterrestrial civilization that would be capable to receive and to understand messages from Earth be capable to perform interstellar spaceflight as well?

• Like 3

Gecks

Sooo, 2 aliens will be sitting there "hey steve, theres a red dot on your forehead" 

"Where?, what the.... it wont wipe off"!

Steves a universal name by the way

MWoo7

So far the best in here: Laser some bacon to Lure the Aliens .... I vote for that title TOOOOO DAMN FUNNY SHOULD WRITE BOOKS !

Edited by MWoo7
  • Haha 2