Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Laser 'beacon' could be used to attract aliens

UM-Bot

They probably have to let us develop on our own. sort like environment conservation. letting us evolve without too much outside help to see how we turn out. As for not making contact, there's countless examples of contact but like I said: People have two excuses (It's too blurry) or (it's fake) It's not like they lack evidence they have evidence but believe it's irrational to accept on what the evidence proves. We can't possibly comprehend how large the universe is, it's stupid to think we are the only life.

but why wouldn't similar life make contact? when it could be done with something simple like a lazer?

How do you know they haven't?

If contact was ever made in such a way it would be suppressed from the public and they would try and approach with caution to make sure that its safe to reply. Same vice versa. 

Would you trust an intelligent life that behaves like we do?... no, you don't wan't to be enslaved and have your planet raped of its resources.

Edited by It's Just An Opinion
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, NicoletteS said:

They are gambling with our whole planet here with no clue who could spot us.

The horse is already out of the barn on this one.  A Russian radio astronomer sent out signals to likely stars.  There was a bit of outrage at the time from astronomers  for the presumptuousness.   We won't know for 60-80 years though.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

The horse is already out of the barn on this one.  A Russian radio astronomer sent out signals to likely stars.  There was a bit of outrage at the time from astronomers  for the presumptuousness.   We won't know for 60-80 years though.

I was just going to add this on my calendar but it looks like I don't have time till 85-120 years after present, can we work something out?

jmccr8

• Haha 1

They would already have had their own food source, so it's not like they would travel through space to eat humans, and they wouldn't want to reap a planet of its resources when there's asteroids belts comets meteorites ect all over. The only thing humanity would have to fear is becoming a slave race. but then again, we enslave ourselves to toil and labor our entire lives to force each other to buy things like food and water so i doubt they'ed think we'ed mind. I bet humanity would gladly enslave themselves if they got diamonds from that diamond core planet dumped on earth until it became cheaper than dirt. (the trick is to make the slaves think they are free)

Actually I take that back humanity wouldn't even be useful to aliens even as slaves. If they can travel through space and harvest asteroids. then they wouldn't even need humanity even as a slave race. because whatever labor we would enslave ourselves to do they on the other-hand wouldn't need us to do it because their original methods without us would already be far more effective. So it seems they wouldn't have use for us, as slaves, nor for our planet as resources. Honestly the only thing I can think of now would be exotic pets.

Earth could even be a giant alien scientific experiment. To see how long ''intelligent'' life would last, until it succumbs to its own stupidity.  While being placed in the perfect scenario for life to thrive.

Edited by It's Just An Opinion
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Isn't it a bit paranoid to think a space faring species will automatically be hostile. 

I don't think i said anything about hostile.. Isnt it a bit dull to just assume that any other species has our best interest in mind rather than thier own just because they are smart enough to travel? Predators are smarter than prey. Its not paranoia its science. Nutrition is accredited with our own brain development and rise to civilization why would we just randomly expect every other species in our vicinity to be any different? We dont even seem to realise how dangerous and predatory we are and now were assuming anything that can see our beacon must be non-predatory?  Thats not paranoid its like adding 2+2. When you shine your flashlight in the woods what kind of animals approach you? Do the deer come introduce themselves or do they run and hide? What about a mountain lion what does it do? Stalk you in the darkness and hope for a meal? Probably. Do we really want to draw attention to where we are when we still cant see where the mountain lion is?  Its a metaphor just think a little more because personally i think your pretty naeive to just assume anybody who can see you is not dangerous. We evolved to our level by being at the top of the food chain. Brains do not develop like that off eating grass. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, freetoroam said:

According to those who have been allegedly abducted, the aliens have already spotted us and been, probed and left implants. But enough of that rubbish.

What are simple messages? If life on another planet consists of water life or anything other than human, then how simple would it have to be for them to understand it, let alone reply? 

For them to be able to communicate with us means they.would need similar equipment, why have we not seen any of these beacons yet or does Clark assume they are waiting for us to get the ball rolling? 

It isnt a joke its a very scary thing and we dont even know where the perpetrators are from much less if they are aliens. Its quite a leap to assume any past visitors are or will be the only kind that would visit us. We can see who was obviously in control during those encounters. Just because the huge number of witnesses have been smeared by the campaign to discredit them doesnt mean we should just brush all the possible encounters under and assume they were in our best interest. If they are to be acknowledged we might get a better picture of what our neighbors are up to and what kind of encounters to expect if we attract more.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, It's Just An Opinion said:

They would already have had their own food source, so it's not like they would travel through space to eat humans, and they wouldn't want to reap a planet of its resources when there's asteroids belts comets meteorites ect all over. The only thing humanity would have to fear is becoming a slave race. but then again, we enslave ourselves to toil and labor our entire lives to force each other to buy things like food and water so i doubt they'ed think we'ed mind. I bet humanity would gladly enslave themselves if they got diamonds from that diamond core planet dumped on earth until it became cheaper than dirt. (the trick is to make the slaves think they are free)

You are overthinking. We cant assume anything about something when we dont know anything about them. Most of us dont even realize we are slaves let alone who is pulling the strings at the top to keep it that way. Your adding so many assumptions. We dont know that any species that can see us has plenty of food. People are starving right now. Also how do you know asteroids have resources they want and earth doesnt? It would seem an even rarer and more precious resource is organics, not rocks. We dont travel to the asteroid belt for food and lumber and animal skins to wear right? But do we travel to africa to hunt lions? No but somebody does. Also eating is the main need in life but not the only who knows how complicated hey could be and how differently they think from you. Maybe all they want is honey to eat and oil for thier wigwam. The bees would be in danger because nobodies finding that on an asteroid.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, toast said:

Because we humans are curious on principle. Curiosity has been and will remain the fuel of our further development. 200k years ago we humans have sit in the mud and said: "mphf-blmblm-(burb)-grunz", today we do neurosurgery, spaceflight and are sitting in front of nice flat screens and communicate with each other across oceans within milliseconds, like here on UM. Because of the results of curiosity in the past.

And, why do you think that an extraterrestrial civilization that would be capable to receive and to understand messages from Earth be capable to perform interstellar spaceflight as well?

I dont assume anything thats the point ive been trying to make here. We have no clue what any random thing that can see us is capable of. It seems the general public isnt even aware how that touchscreen technology was dropped on them. Honestly i think youve answered your own question.

Curiosity. Obviously if something were intelligent enough to see our signal and comprehend what it is, then they have a curiosoty that matches ours. Lets just pray thier intentions dont.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NicoletteS said:

I don't think i said anything about hostile.. Isnt it a bit dull to just assume that any other species has our best interest in mind rather than thier own just because they are smart enough to travel? Predators are smarter than prey. Its not paranoia its science. Nutrition is accredited with our own brain development and rise to civilization why would we just randomly expect every other species in our vicinity to be any different? We dont even seem to realise how dangerous and predatory we are and now were assuming anything that can see our beacon must be non-predatory?  Thats not paranoid its like adding 2+2. When you shine your flashlight in the woods what kind of animals approach you? Do the deer come introduce themselves or do they run and hide? What about a mountain lion what does it do? Stalk you in the darkness and hope for a meal? Probably. Do we really want to draw attention to where we are when we still cant see where the mountain lion is?  Its a metaphor just think a little more because personally i think your pretty naeive to just assume anybody who can see you is not dangerous. We evolved to our level by being at the top of the food chain. Brains do not develop like that off eating grass. 

No it's paranoia and it's ignorance to assume we'll be food to them. If they've made it to the point where they can hop around the cosmos food will be the least of their worries. They might not even be organic any more. Having surpassed the need for mortal bodies. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, It's Just An Opinion said:

Actually I take that back humanity wouldn't even be useful to aliens even as slaves. If they can travel through space and harvest asteroids. then they wouldn't even need humanity even as a slave race. because whatever labor we would enslave ourselves to do they on the other-hand wouldn't need us to do it because their original methods without us would already be far more effective. So it seems they wouldn't have use for us, as slaves, nor for our planet as resources. Honestly the only thing I can think of now would be exotic pets.

Earth could even be a giant alien scientific experiment. To see how long ''intelligent'' life would last, until it succumbs to its own stupidity.  While being placed in the perfect scenario for life to thrive.

Lol. I agree. Although when you think of the choice of available life forms on this planet, i think aliens could choose ants over us when they see hard they are willing to work without the help of technology. 

If they wanted to take some slaves home with them then we would not be much use, we do not live long and our working life span is too short for the ride. And you can guarantee humans will be arguing about pay and their pensions. :rolleyes: not to mention how long their lunch break is.

• Haha 1

It seems the general public isnt even aware how that touchscreen technology was dropped on them.

Is that a new CT? Can you explain?

1 hour ago, NicoletteS said:

Its quite a leap to assume any past visitors are or will be the only kind that would visit us.

When you say past visitors with "will" do you mean they could still be here? 

We have no evidence we have been visited by aliens, we do have plenty of proof of meteorites and passing comets but all the rest is hearsay by wannabe contactees humans who have only their word and mind as 'evidence' and both are extremely flimsy with many on boardering on crazy if money is not involved. 

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 2

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:57 PM, XenoFish said:

Isn't it a bit paranoid to think a space faring species will automatically be hostile. 

Better to be cautious than dead or enslaved.

If there are 1000 civilizations in our galaxy only someone naïve believes thats 1000 civilizations who are peace loving. I bet 300 of them are war like races interested in imperial glory.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Better to be cautious than dead or enslaved.

If there are 1000 civilizations in our galaxy only someone naïve believes thats 1000 civilizations who are peace loving. I bet 300 of them are war like races interested in imperial glory.

You're judging the unknown by human standards. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, XenoFish said:

You're judging the unknown by human standards. 

You are right. All 1000 of them might be interested in imperial glory, or none of them, or a different figure than the 300 that I wrote.

And thats exactly the point, we DO NOT KNOW what is out there.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

You are right. All 1000 of them might be interested in imperial glory, or none of them, or a different figure than the 300 that I wrote.

And thats exactly the point, we DO NOT KNOW what is out there.

So we can't assume anything really. If fear holds back everything we do, we might as well do nothing.

• Like 1

"Hey, Mike. Why don't we wave this red flag at that friendly looking bull so he'll see us"

Hawking is right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

"Hey, Mike. Why don't we wave this red flag at that friendly looking bull so he'll see us"

Hawking is right.

We need to develop telescopes powerful enough to watch what aliens are up to on other planets. After a lengthy period of observation then attempt to make contact with those we deem safe.

There is a limit to how far technology can advance - machines built atomic particle by atomic particle (assuming there is nothing smaller). That means in 50-100 years we should reach an understanding of what is technologically possible. Once we have decent weapons from taking atomic technology to its limits we will be on parity with aliens. We can go conquering them instead!

Stupidity! Advertising your existence is stupid. We have no idea how many aggressive civilizations are out there. If this planet serves a purpose for them, they are most certainly not going to ask, they'd just take it and all this nonsense about invasions and unstoppable weapons is science fiction.

If I were a race that was so advanced, I can traverse time and space, I could also create bacteria that would kill off the human race. Just introduce it into the water and air, making sure it's highly contagious when airborne and they never even have to fight a battle. Of course, those who are immune? Just modify the germ and reintroduce it to clean up the rest. The only problem would be disposal of the bodies.

No, I certainly wouldn't be reaching out to ET's. It's like signing your own death warrant.

23 minutes ago, jbondo said:

Stupidity! Advertising your existence is stupid. We have no idea how many aggressive civilizations are out there. If this planet serves a purpose for them, they are most certainly not going to ask, they'd just take it and all this nonsense about invasions and unstoppable weapons is science fiction.

If I were a race that was so advanced, I can traverse time and space, I could also create bacteria that would kill off the human race. Just introduce it into the water and air, making sure it's highly contagious when airborne and they never even have to fight a battle. Of course, those who are immune? Just modify the germ and reintroduce it to clean up the rest. The only problem would be disposal of the bodies.

No, I certainly wouldn't be reaching out to ET's. It's like signing your own death warrant.

Bearing in mind the US did Iraq in 40 days (and they were about 50 years behind in technology) then I think an alien battlecruiser would be able to crush the planet in 30 seconds. There would be no resistance or hiding from them.

They wont come for our water (the universe is full of it), they wont come for slaves (if they are advanced enough to get here they probably have robots doing everything already), they will come for our technology. We assume aliens will know about all of our discoveries and science and that their civilizations will mirror ours. They wont, and they will come to acquire was is different from us to add to their own.

We are already capable of travelling to a nearby star system ourselves. The US ran a program developing nuclear propulsion in the 1960s. Officially we dont use them as an accident would contaminate land if the spacecraft came down. But there is no reason we cannot make a ship reaching 50% the speed of light right now.

All you need is a nuclear reactor powering some powerful lasers. You feed in a tiny amount of water into the engine chamber, it vaporises into plasma in the laser beams, as it expands from water to gas to plasma at millions of degrees, it produces thrust out the back. Acceleration of 1g to 3g over the long-term wont harm astronauts and a spaceship could carry enough water to keep those nuclear engines going for decades.

1 hour ago, jbondo said:

Good points, jbondo.

As far as "aggressive civilizations" goes, even if there was such a thing as "The league of Planets" that fought against the wrongful incursions of such civilizations, it still is no guarantee that harmful incursions would not take place. We have on this planet a United Nations and a League of Nations that have done little to nothing when it comes to battling illegal, murderous incursions, or even longstanding brutal occupations like Israel is now waging in Mandated Palestine.

Best bet... Don't go looking for trouble. We'll survive just fine.

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

b8d23504382cabd8cf667d9a5e84d694.jpg

Needle meet haystack.

I can take a 6' L X 1" D rare earth magnet and within an hour pull out the needle. Rare earth magnets have been around for 40+ years. If an advanced ET civilization wanted to find us (say, for slaves, etc..), or were looking for a specific type of planet that we happen to occupy, I'm sure they would have little trouble tracking us down and that's without beaming welcome-mats out into space.

33 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Good points, jbondo.

As far as "aggressive civilizations" goes, even if there was such a thing as "The league of Planets" that fought against the wrongful incursions of such civilizations, it still is no guarantee that harmful incursions would not take place. We have on this planet a United Nations and a League of Nations that have done little to nothing when it comes to battling illegal, murderous incursions, or even longstanding brutal occupations like Israel is now waging in Mandated Palestine.

Best bet... Don't go looking for trouble. We'll survive just fine.

In fact our powerful countries use the UN for their own purposes against those with different forms of Government besides our own.

On the topic of differences what happens is the aliens are religious, and their religion is nothing like the ones on our planet?