Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Laser 'beacon' could be used to attract aliens

UM-Bot

28 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I'm amazed at the fear of the unknown people have.

XenoFish, there is nothing really wrong with an individual risking his/her life for the sake of exploring the unknown, like the US's manned space flights. But I see it as foolhardy to risk the existence of all humans when there is no need. It's not as much fear as it is "risk reward" management with little to gain and *everything* for everyone to lose. If we contacted anyone with the capability of getting here, we're up against beings that are technologically way ahead of us. One little virus introduced and *poof* - gone. If the deck of cards of the unknown holds such a card, then yes, we should fear it.

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
typo
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

In fact our powerful countries use the UN for their own purposes against those with different forms of Government besides our own.

On the topic of differences what happens is the aliens are religious, and their religion is nothing like the ones on our planet?

The religion thing.. kinda makes me think what the Spanish did to those heathens in SA because they did not pray to Jesus. Point!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

XenoFish, there is nothing really wrong with an individual risking his/her life for the sake of exploring the unknown, like the US's manned space flights. But I see it as foolhardy to risk the existence of all humans when there is no need. It's not as much fear as it is "risk reward" management with little to gain and *everything* for everyone to lose. If we contacted anyone with the capability of getting here, we're up against beings that are technologically way ahead of us. One little virus introduced and *poof* - gone. If the deck of cards of the unknown holds such a card, then yes, we should fear it.

You took the words right out of my keyboard Earl. Great explanation. XenoFish, there's actually nothing wrong with fearing the unknown, especially in situations where it doesn't only affect you. There's a reason we have fear built into us. It's a part of preservation. If I were early man, would I stroll into a cave, or throw a few rocks in there to make sure i wasn't going to be eaten?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

I don't. I think it's a good idea. If humanity is all there is what's the problem? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I don't. I think it's a good idea. If humanity is all there is what's the problem? 

XenoFish, that's why they make vanilla *and* chocolate  :-)

27 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

. If we contacted anyone with the capability of getting here, we're up against beings that are technologically way ahead of us

Would a species that advanced  not already have tried to make contact with us first? We have been looking for signals and no signs have been found to indicate an advanved race is trying to contact - anything.

If another planet was also looking for other life in the Universe, their signals could be directed in numerous directions,  we have not spotted any out there,  as yet.

So are there beings out there who could travel or have the technology to communicate or is it just us?

I ask because anything more technological advanced than us, i believe would be years ahead of us in terms of trying to and looking at communication, we have heard or seen nothing. 

51 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Would a species that advanced  not already have tried to make contact with us first? We have been looking for signals and no signs have been found to indicate an advanved race is trying to contact - anything.

If another planet was also looking for other life in the Universe, their signals could be directed in numerous directions,  we have not spotted any out there,  as yet.

So are there beings out there who could travel or have the technology to communicate or is it just us?

I ask because anything more technological advanced than us, i believe would be years ahead of us in terms of trying to and looking at communication, we have heard or seen nothing. 

They may be using communication tech that's far different than a radio signal. It's just in recent years that SETI has begun monitoring electromagnetic radiation and most recently employed "Astropulse" which listens for broad band short pulses. Furthermore, for all we know, the ET races who are actually looking for planets like Earth, may have found some already, or just haven't been actively searching in our neck of the woods. We may be next on the docket of solar systems to look into.

This goes directly back to the recklessness of science. Many scientists don't care who they affect when trying to prove something, or bring a project to fruition. They are often willing to risk not only their own lives, but the annihilation of humanity. This attitude has been repeated time and time again. Anyone remember the Tsar Bomba? Had they actually gotten their wish, it would have detonated at 100 megatons instead of 59.

Again, The risks outweigh the benefits regarding contact. There's a reason we are progressing in tech as we are and frankly, I think it's accelerated too much already. Most don't use tech to help, they use it to hurt. Social media is a perfect example of a by product of tech becoming out of control and bringing out the evil in so many.

Edited by jbondo
Grammar
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Hi freetoroam.

I agree we have not seen any reliable signals as yet by intelligent beings trying to make contact. But "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence". There are almost a trillion planets in the milky way and It'd be kinda hard to attempt to contact them all. Also, I would not even like to speculate on why or why not a civilization on another planet may or may not try to make contact. They may have reasons not to.

One last thought... We are a being that is only a quarter million years old. And our technology to even attempt contacting remote civilizations has only been around for a century. Meanwhile the civilizations that are out there may be billions of years old and have long since advanced to another form of communication. In the end, all we can do is speculate. But I still think arousing the unknown is not wise, as in, don't tug on superman's cape just to see what he'll do. And of course, if there is no superman in the end, than we're wasting public funds anyway. It's a bad gamble, IMO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jbondo said:

Again, The risks outweigh the benefits regarding contact. There's a reason we are progressing in tech as we are and frankly, I think it's accelerated too much already. Most don't use tech to help, they use it to hurt. Social media is a perfect example of a by product of tech becoming out of control and bringing out the evil in so many.

I do not believe the risk do outweigh the benefits, but i do agree with what you say about social media and how it brings out the evil in people. But remember those doing the searching are not your social media chavs.

5 minutes ago, jbondo said:

This goes directly back to the recklessness of science. Many scientists don't care who they affect when trying to prove something, or bring a project to fruition. They are often willing to risk not only their own lives, but the annihilation of humanity.

Humanity are doing this themselves, i believe there is a far higher risk from humans to annihilate themselves than any contact with beings light years away from us. 

Contact would not mean aliens suddenly heading our way to wipe us out, that is the pure science fiction. 

When it says attracting aliens, it would mean as a contact via the laser beams, we are in no position to get the tea and scones out for them yet, there is still the distance to do and anything able to travel around the Universe in a short space of time and safely,  would have found us by now.

I would imaging with that advancement in technology they would have sussed there are different directions and other galaxies to explore and ours would be one of them. 

If an advance species  have already found another "Earth" then maybe the Earth they found is the one we will.  Who knows,  maybe each galaxy have a planet with an advanced life looking for contact,  or maybe not. 

Time is also a major factor here, not that long ago we were no where near sending crafts into space, we can not expect if other planets have life, they would be at the same stage as us, if dinosaurs are roaming a planet, they will not be replying to our signals.  We just do not know, but nothing wrong with trying.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Hi freetoroam.

I agree we have not seen any reliable signals as yet by intelligent beings trying to make contact. But "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence". There are almost a trillion planets in the milky way and It'd be kinda hard to attempt to contact them all. Also, I would not even like to speculate on why or why not a civilization on another planet may or may not try to make contact. They may have reasons not to.

One last thought... We are a being that is only a quarter million years old. And our technology to even attempt contacting remote civilizations has only been around for a century. Meanwhile the civilizations that are out there may be billions of years old and have long since advanced to another form of communication. In the end, all we can do is speculate. But I still think arousing the unknown is not wise, as in, don't tug on superman's cape just to see what he'll do. And of course, if there is no superman in the end, than we're wasting public funds anyway. It's a bad gamble, IMO.

I agree, i said similar in my post above.

but i do not think it is a bad gamble, the only reason i would say it is, is because of the costs. 

4 hours ago, jbondo said:

I can take a 6' L X 1" D rare earth magnet and within an hour pull out the needle.

You mean a haystack of infinite size? That's a good magnet.

• Like 1

If estimated distances to other civilizations are anything like accurate sending out a laser signal would be a low risk endeavour as there would be, probably, none within laser range.

It makes more sense to use the method SETI developed and transmit or receive in the microwave radio band. It gives more bang for your buck as there is less general noise to compete with and a signal of a given power could be detected further away.

There is no way of knowing what percentage of ET in our neighbourhood is unfriendly but the type of first contact might give a clue about these when it finally happens?

You would have to think a benign race would be very considerate to humans, given a first contact is a totally unprecedented event and when humans are fairly sure there are no other intelligent races within range or perhaps have become extinct aeons ago.

Arriving in Earth orbit in a 20 mile long ship is probably not the best way to start a new relationship. Staying out of sight and observing would have to be the safest way initially and attempt to learn the cultures and responses humans have to different situations.

Only when ET had an in-depth knowledge could they consider making tentative steps to interact with us and this would not be a ship landing on the Whitehouse lawn.  :ph34r:

This process could take decades but probably much longer, the overriding priority for a friendly ET would not be contact but avoiding a riot.  ;)

• Like 1

The most probable reasons in my opinion aliens would enslave humans for is 

1.entertainment(we are awfully good at it)

2.use of our technology

3.pets

4.war knowledge such as guerilla tactics

5.pawns(essentially to make us die in war or labrats per say)

19 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Humanity are doing this themselves, i believe there is a far higher risk from humans to annihilate themselves than any contact with beings light years away from us. 

You are absolutely right about that freetoroam....If we are speaking in terms of what's more likely to happen first.

17 hours ago, XenoFish said:

You mean a haystack of infinite size? That's a good magnet.

I'm merely going off of your analogy. I used that comparison to convey how easy it would be to find a needle in a standard haystack. Now, considering tech that may be thousands upon thousands of years beyond us, you are talking about an ET civilization (possibly a type IV) that can find a specific planet type as easily as we find the toilet in the pitch dark at midnight. A small challenge for most men, but we do hit the bowl 99% of the time. My wife tends to get a bit perturbed when I miss. I suppose leaving a 4' X 4' yellow ting on the wall isn't what you'd call ascetically pleasing. The aroma is somewhat off-putting to those who prefer fine wines.

The most probable reasons in my opinion aliens would enslave humans for is 

You forgot the most obvious reason skrubby: forced labor. Would you want to wear out a perfectly good cyborg, doing simple repetitive tasks that require delicate manipulation when you can just save a few hundred thousand humans to do them? It's fairly probable that even in a distant future, there will be tasks that can be done via other means, but still best done by a hand/appendage with all the attributes of a human hand. Of course, after they kill us all off with that bacteria strain i spoke of, they could just sever our hands and attach them to an egg handling machine, or a machine that crochets afghans. I can't think of any good examples at the moment, but I think you get the point.

I see lots of great arguments here, but I haven't changed my position. I'm still on the no contact side. If we end up facing a problem such as a rouge asteroid hurtling toward us, sure, we could use one or two ET's (probably would work for Waste Management on their world)

"You's guys need ta stop dat big ****in rock frum slammin inta yer ****in planet, huh? OK sure, we could probly come to an agreement, or somthin to make it go away, bing bam boom!.....but, ahhh, whatcha gunna do fer us? We ain't ****in cheap, ya know. First off, we gotta drive da asteroid/comet manipulater space-truck from 40 light years away....Dat ****in **** ain't free chief! Den, dare's time and work hours....OK, it's all done robotically, but still, it ain't like just going down da ****in LonGIsland expressway my friend. The ****in union has rules fer dat ****, ya know....but, I tink it you's give us sayyy, 10,000 of dose tings...whataya call 'em. Twinkies? Yeah,,,,dose an you have broads, right? I dunnow what we'd do wid 'em, but I heard lots a stories from Alpha Centauri about crazy Earth chicks.Ohh, en you's can throw in a bag of Acapulco Gold. We herd dat **** is da best ****in toilet paper in the galaxy! Give us haf dat **** up front and we can do business chief."

Thank you Puddle Jump! I'm here all week!.....By the way, where is Puddle Jump?

Edited by jbondo
I'm not very bright.

On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:08 PM, freetoroam said:

Have our scientists purposefully got down on their hands and knees and tries to make contact with ants? Or do we not bother with such insignificant beings?

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Have our scientists purposefully got down on their hands and knees and tries to make contact with ants? Or do we not bother with such insignificant beings?

Point taken, mongoose.

My personal opinion is this: If intelligent ET's were ever to make contact with us and engage us, it would render our leaders almost useless. It would be chaotic and I am sure the intelligent ones know this. So, they respectfully keep their distance.

On 07/11/2018 at 1:23 AM, NicoletteS said:

Not smart. Its a cute idea but has anyone considered how idiotic it is just to flag down the attention of any nearby civilisation  without having a clue whats around us? Odds are intelligence rises from predatory behavior. This is like going in the woods at night and calling for anyone to hear you. The timid will avoid you and the predators will try to eat you. They are gambling with our whole planet here with no clue who could spot us.

Nicely put. I have no desire to be on something’s menu.

18 hours ago, AustinHinton said:

"Hey aliens! Fresh Humans here, all-you-can-eat."

That reminds me of an episode of "Twilight Zone" from decades ago.

A UFO lands and respectable, intelligent beings emerge. Friendship seems certain, as some were invited on board the craft. One man steals a book and gives it to some intel org in Washington. Shortly after, they are able to decipher the title. It read, "How to Serve Man"

The Aliens convince many people to go back with them to their planet for a friendly visit. Just as the craft is filling up and getting ready for takeoff, an intel officer shows up screaming for people not to go! The reason...? they figured out that the book, "How to Serve Man", is a cookbook!  LOL

I loved Twilight Zone

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Like 2

Even though the universe is, as Douglas Adams puts it:  "vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big," all intelligent life may already be connected in ways we do not yet understand.  Theoretical physicists are only now beginning to explore theories about such things as quantum entanglement.  If aliens wanted to enslave or destroy us, they would have done so a long time ago.    :o

• Like 1

Scientists estimate there are at least 100 billion stars in our galaxy and that the majority of stars have planets.  The odds alone tell us there must be many civilizations that are far more advanced than us, maybe millions of years more evolved than us.  With so many races so advanced, some of them certainly have developed the ability to detect possible threats to their existence.  They probably would have the ability to detect our nuclear explosives tests.  Yet, they have chosen not to to enslave us or obliterate us.   

• Like 1