Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I’m being visited nightly by the unknown

Serfsup

I’m being visited nightly by something. I’d like to start out by saying that this is not sleep paralysis. Unless sleep paralysis happens to people when they are completely awake. I am fully awake whenever this happens to me. 

This all started after my mother passed away and I returned back to my home after her funeral one year ago. My mother had lived with me once many years ago but only for a few years and this was due to the decline of her health.

This began with the feeling of being touched all over my body. I would feel the sensations of being caressed, poked. I’ve felt  hands, fists and or fingers pushing up through my mattress either on my legs, back, buttocks, arms or even through my pillow to my head. I’ve felt my blankets being pulled and my feet, ankles, legs or arms being grabbed/touched by hands not hard but nonetheless. I’ve felt my blankets getting taught on my legs, I’ve felt a wave like motion go up my leg and back down, this has happened several times. When it got to the point of my bed swaying and shaking I was completely frightened and I had ran from my home in fear that it was haunted. I drove an hour and a half away to my fathers house thinking I’d be safe there but for it to only continue. I knew at this point it wasn’t an external phenomena, it was me. I returned home a day or so later in which it progressively continued. I began feeling footstep vibrations through my mattress. I could feel the intensity of its footsteps and the speed changes therein. Those sensations started out like it was aimlessly meandering throughput my home like it was looking for something. The walking around my home nightly would go on until I would fall asleep. I now feel those footstep vibrations starting abruptly but they will immediately start running towards me into my bedroom. I say this because I feel the impact (bed jolt) of it hitting my bed and going into it, the footsteps stop at that point. This is where it gets really bizarre. 

*I’ve been suffering from lower back pain with progressive nerve damage since an accident in 2010. 

Immediately after I feel the impact (bed jolt) of whatever this might be it begins to give me a shiatsu type message with heat. Instantaneously when it starts my body will explode with a huge intense tingling sensation and I will feel this sensation sporadically throughout the massage. Initially it was from head to feet where now it focuses in on my lower back and then sometimes when I have a headache I’ll feel it on my head. This is basically a nightly thing for me now but the massage seems to be focused in to what is currently giving me the most problems at that time. I’d like to mention that I’ve never been harmed though in the beginning I feared for my life because...well, you could imagine why. 

I’d like to mention also that I live alone with my two cats in my very large old two story home. My oldest cat will be extremely chatty when he is not in the same room as me and will not stop no matter how hard I plead with him. He’s only quiet when he’s next to me. When they’re both with me in the bedroom they both always seem to sense something there. I know, typical cats right? It’s more than that. I recently purchased a video camera and decided one weekend that I would film the local wooded creek area that’s just down the street. I was alone and in my truck filming and as I was describing the woods an unknown voice says “huh?” on my video like it was listening to me talk about the woods. There is more to what’s been happening and I’m sure it will come to me during future discussions. 

I’m a 49 years old male who’s been a productive member of society having served my country in the USAF for 8 years and now I’m a factory production welder and have been for approximately 19 years. I have two close girl friends who I confide in and get support from. I don’t tell anyone about what’s been going on in fear of being deemed crazy. I haven’t gotten any closer to any answers but it appears that this phenomenon has honed in on me. I get the feeling and I’ve noticed that it can sense the stress and fear in me at times and will back off and refine its method. This is what I’ve been picking up on since it all began. Can you help me?

Any reason why you haven't gone to a doctor?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Serfsup said:

*I’ve been suffering from lower back pain with progressive nerve damage since an accident in 2010. 

See a doctor and tell him everything. It sounds like nervous system "short circuits". 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Any reason why you haven't gone to a doctor?

I’ve been to the doctor regarding this and have had a few tests done so far, nothing definitive as of yet. 

32 minutes ago, Piney said:

See a doctor and tell him everything. It sounds like nervous system "short circuits". 

Nervous system short circuits can cause me to perceive these external events? The thing that I don’t understand is that none of this happens during the day while I’m at work. I only experience what I’ve already explained.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Serfsup said:

Nervous system short circuits can cause me to perceive these external events? The thing that I don’t understand is that none of this happens during the day while I’m at work. I only experience what I’ve already explained.

I had a stroke and only have seizures and audio hallucinations when waking up. Not during the day. I also had nocturnal "thought forms" take the shape of various things.  It could be happening when you are partially in REM or going in and out of it. 

Edited by Piney
  • Like 1

@Serfsup     I am one of the more open-minded to the paranormal on this forum and I say continue on with all your medical testing as you mentioned that you have some issues since an accident.

Also I think your mother's presence with a positive intent should be considered a possibility here. Especially from things you said like: 'This is basically a nightly thing for me now but the massage seems to be focused in to what is currently giving me the most problems at that time'. I believe during the sleep and near sleep states we are more sensitive to spiritual energies. I believe we have physical and also energy/spiritual etheric and astral bodies. 

Couple ideas: You could have a human observer tell you if the bed movements are actually physically occurring during the night, I would tend to doubt these things are happening at the physical level but you can't rule that out either.

Also you might have someone who is considered psychically sensitive give you impressions. It would be more valuable if they could visit your premises.

Good Luck and stay loving and happy, whatever.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

@Serfsup     I

Couple ideas: You could have a human observer tell you if the bed movements are actually physically occurring during the night, I would tend to doubt these things are happening at the physical level but you can't rule that out either.

On further thought after reading your comment 'I’ve felt my blankets getting taught on my legs' an observer might see unnatural seeming blanket movement. I saw this seemingly unexplained movement of a blanket recorded on one of my Ghost Hunting shows (I believe they record real stuff sometimes).

An additional thought is to record yourself sleeping at night.

8 hours ago, Serfsup said:

This in conjunction with sleep paralysis could be why you felt all those things.

• Like 3

As Piney and XenoFish said This is why it's important to tell your Dr exactly what you have felt. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Serfsup said:

I’m being visited nightly by something. I’d like to start out by saying that this is not sleep paralysis. Unless sleep paralysis happens to people when they are completely awake. I am fully awake whenever this happens to me. 

This began with the feeling of being touched all over my body. I would feel the sensations of being caressed, poked. I’ve felt  hands, fists and or fingers pushing up through my mattress either on my legs, back, buttocks, arms or even through my pillow to my head. I’ve felt my blankets being pulled and my feet, ankles, legs or arms being grabbed/touched by hands not hard but nonetheless. I’ve felt my blankets getting taught on my legs, I’ve felt a wave like motion go up my leg and back down, this has happened several times. When it got to the point of my bed swaying and shaking I was completely frightened and I had ran from my home in fear that it was haunted. I drove an hour and a half away to my fathers house thinking I’d be safe there but for it to only continue. I knew at this point it wasn’t an external phenomena, it was me. 

I dont suffer from sleep paralysis but sometimes have hypnic jerks. I have also been having `experiences` which have occurred both while wide awake in the middle of the day and during my sleeping times. Worse, when awake I have been there with someone else and they too have seen what I have seen.

I have had shadow people (witnessed by the other person at the same time as me) and found myself being woken up by something getting up off the end of my bed when no one else is there. Like something was watching me sleep. I have been attacked twice - once I got slapped hard across the face while having a bath and I couldn't see anything there. The other time I was having a dream about camping in winter in the Alps and the shadow person appeared in my dream and kicked me in the head. I got woken up from the feeling of being kicked in the head for real.

I have had a death in the family too. My gut instinct says this isn't the family member but some kind of vampire entity feeding off me.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

the shadow person appeared in my dream and kicked me in the head. I got woken up from the feeling of being kicked in the head for real.

That was a mild seizure. I have them all the time. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Piney said:

That was a mild seizure. I have them all the time. 

But you dont have consciousness during a seizure.

21 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

But you dont have consciousness during a seizure.

REALLY?????? :blink:

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

I dont suffer from sleep paralysis but sometimes have hypnic jerks. I have also been having `experiences` which have occurred both while wide awake in the middle of the day and during my sleeping times. Worse, when awake I have been there with someone else and they too have seen what I have seen.

I have had shadow people (witnessed by the other person at the same time as me) and found myself being woken up by something getting up off the end of my bed when no one else is there. Like something was watching me sleep. I have been attacked twice - once I got slapped hard across the face while having a bath and I couldn't see anything there. The other time I was having a dream about camping in winter in the Alps and the shadow person appeared in my dream and kicked me in the head. I got woken up from the feeling of being kicked in the head for real.

I have had a death in the family too. My gut instinct says this isn't the family member but some kind of vampire entity feeding 

You can start to hallucinate or even hear or taste things that  are not there and still be concious and it may not always mean mental illness. There is many things that can cause hallucinations. I Have also seen shawdow people etc. However i think it's best to see a Dr if the visions is recurring.

Edited by Avalanche
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Avalanche said:

You can start to hallucinate or even hear things and still be concious and it may not always mean mental illness. There is many things that can cause hallucinations. I Have also seen shawdow people etc. However i think it's best to see a Dr if the visions is recurring.

Sometimes this is due to mental, physical, and/or emotional exhaustion. Could even be due to general fatigue and tiredness. When I see the most shadow people is when I'm thoroughly exhausted. I'm starting to do it now due to how much I've been working. Such things as sleep paralysis could be brought on by a sleep aid. I think even diet might play a role. The biggest cause I feel is the imagination and mindset. Sort of how a kid might be afraid of the dark especially after they've watched something that scares them. As adults, we're not too different. 

• Like 2

Install a cheap night-vision cam, then get back to us.  You'll be the first ever to do this, despite the ease of doing so.  That should tell you (and us) something about how these stories go down....

Also, change doctors - if the doc just did a few tests (what were they?) and didn't comment about your back injury / nerve damage, nor discuss sleep paralysis and hypnagogic / hypnopompic hallucinations, then they are utterly incompetent.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yes 

16 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Sometimes this is due to mental, physical, and/or emotional exhaustion. Could even be due to general fatigue and tiredness. When I see the most shadow people is when I'm thoroughly exhausted. I'm starting to do it now due to how much I've been working. Such things as sleep paralysis could be brought on by a sleep aid. I think even diet might play a role. The biggest cause I feel is the imagination and mindset. Sort of how a kid might be afraid of the dark especially after they've watched something that scares them. As adults, we're not too different. 

Exactly those who have spent much time hiking and camping in the woods have most likely seen  things that are not there at night in the tree tops or between the trees :-) I think piney can refer to this ;-) and me.

Edited by Avalanche
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Avalanche said:

Yes 

Exactly those who have spent much time hiking and camping in the woods have most likely seen  things that are not there at night in the tree tops or between the trees :-)

Which is instinctive. Pareidolia is a part of our hardwired instinct. It's used to help us identify a potential threat. That clump of tree that looks like a sabertooth tiger, might be or might not, kept us on high alert. Now the same process causes us to see ghost in the dark.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

Also, change doctors - if the doc just did a few tests (what were they?) and didn't comment about your back injury / nerve damage, nor discuss sleep paralysis and hypnagogic / hypnopompic hallucinations, then they are utterly incompetent.

My neurologist knew what happened as soon as a described the SP-seizure events. 

On 11/6/2018 at 12:28 PM, Piney said:

only have seizures and audio hallucinations when waking up. 

Weird, my epilepsy is solely triggered by shoddy sleep. You're the only person I've heard mention similar. 

Anyway my 2 cents on the matter: 'epilepsy' / 'seizures' are a blanket term. They're different from person to person, not every seizure is like what you see on tv where someone drops to the floor and flops like a fish (grand mal/tonic clonic). For mine I do lose consciousness (thank god). Sometimes I'm (half) conscious before I go into a full blown seizure. Once before I had what folks describe as an OBE and another time I saw a demon stomp his feet and every time his feet hit the ground my body jerked violently, then I went into full on convulsions and dont remember anything else. 

This isn't anything mystical though. That demon was the same demon in the auto world: electrical demon. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, internetperson said:

Weird, my epilepsy is solely triggered by shoddy sleep. You're the only person I've heard mention similar. 

It feels like I'm being punched in the head really hard and I can't move or feel my body.   I also see "thoughtforms" known in Vodou as "Snails" who look something  like Greys. 

• 4 weeks later...

again same as most of above... i cant completely tried to tell myself its in my head. but when phyicall feel things and not expecting in n just get worse... im in a very sound mind. too sound at times. its a physicall feel more than mind. only way i can explain... ive thought snakes in my bed but its new... thought rats were bed at hotel one night... its highly disturbin especially somelike me that has pretty good control on my thoughts. ive thought sleep paralyzed... doesnt explain it fully... restless leg synodrom doesnt explain... my next thought is spasms... still can make the links fit. i dont know what it is... i didnt even sleep in my room a week... then it started on couch... gettin drunk n passin out seems to be my cure for sleep. if n eone has outside box ideas pls throw em at me... ive even thought maybe my equal librium.... idk but would love to stop it or at least understand it.