Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

4 Death Row inmates ask for firing squad

Eldorado

Four death row inmates in Tennessee have asked a federal court to allow them to be executed by firing squad.

Mississippi, Oklahoma and Utah are the only states that allow the use of firing squads in executions.

The last time the method was used in the US was in 2010, when Ronnie Lee Gardner was executed in Utah for the 1984 murder of attorney Michael Burdell during a failed courthouse escape.

A lawyer representing the four Tennessee inmates has said lethal injection is the "default method" of execution, but those on death row can also choose electrocution.

Full short report: https://news.sky.com/story/four-death-row-inmates-in-tennessee-ask-to-executed-by-firing-squad-11546176

They shoulda shot them the morning after they got the request.

• Like 4

Utah, strange place. Beheading was actually an approved method in Utah in the 19th century before it became a state!

I don't know if it was ever actually used, but I imagine it going something like this:

tumblr_nmgbrdlQU51rl34d3o1_1280.jpg&sp=e

• Haha 4

It's a bit disappointing that the firing squad is done in the execution chamber.

It should be out in the yard, with news helicopters overhead, and the prisoners dressed as Mexican bandits from a spaghetti western.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Four death row inmates in Tennessee have asked a federal court to allow them to be executed by firing squad.

.22 right between the eyes. Just like a dog. 7.62s cost money.  :yes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Piney said:

.22 right between the eyes. Just like a dog. 7.62s cost money.  :yes:

We have a steep hill nearby, with an old church at the top. In the old days, highwaymen's heads were placed on the fence posts at the church as a deterrent.

Can't Utah do something like that? (Shooting them between the eyes will just make a mess!)

Edited by acute
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, acute said:

Shooting them between the eyes will just make a mess!

Not with a .22. It was my prefered method with horses and dogs.

15 minutes ago, acute said:

Can't Utah do something like that? 

The coasts need to do that with gang members and Neo-Nazis. :yes:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Piney said:

Not with a .22. It was my prefered method with horses and dogs.

Oh, I see.  I try to stay away from guns and knives, because of my phobia of putting my prints on someone else's lethal weapon.

Edited by acute

That's definitely what I would choose if on death row. 5 sharp shooters aiming right for the head, lights out. They botch the drug thing all the time, and electrocution looks like it might take a bit to long, and is possibly painful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acute said:

Oh, I see.  I try to stay away from guns and knives, because of my phobia of putting my prints on someone else's lethal weapon.

I don't go near my bosses' guns. They have my DNA and I'm on the New Jersey "dangerous dog" list. 

53 minutes ago, seanjo said:

They don't though, they aim for the heart so you will not die instantly...unless a lucky shot gets your brain.

Getting shot never hurt. It felt like a punch and then it was gone.......The dull ache days later sucks though. 

6 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Where did you get hit?

Thigh, arm, lower back then out under my sternum, hand, head graze. :yes:

3 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

That's definitely what I would choose if on death row. 5 sharp shooters aiming right for the head, lights out. They botch the drug thing all the time, and electrocution looks like it might take a bit to long, and is possibly painful.

Good. But it will never be as painful as the horrors they put their victims through.

My sympathy count is a big fat 0 for the pain the prisoner will go though.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Damn...

The one through the back that came out the front missed everything vital and pushed my intestines aside. It just weeped.

I stood up my eyes were bright yellow and my reputation was set. :lol:

11 hours ago, aztek said:

all 4 can be executed with a single bullet, it has been done before