Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Superbugs will kill 90000 Britons by 2050

7 posts in this topic

Eldorado

More than 90,000 people in Britain will die over the next three decades unless action is taken to halt the rise in antibiotic-resistant superbug infections, a report has warned.

The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) estimates resistant infections could kill about 2.4 million people in Europe, North America and Australia by 2050 unless more is done to tackle the problem, which it describes as “one of the biggest threats to modern medicine”.

This includes about 1.3 million deaths in Europe and 90,000 in Britain.

Full report: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/nov/07/antibiotic-resistant-superbugs-will-kill-90000-britons-by-2050

RabidMongoose
19 hours ago, Eldorado said:

More than 90,000 people in Britain will die over the next three decades unless action is taken to halt the rise in antibiotic-resistant superbug infections, a report has warned.

The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) estimates resistant infections could kill about 2.4 million people in Europe, North America and Australia by 2050 unless more is done to tackle the problem, which it describes as “one of the biggest threats to modern medicine”.

This includes about 1.3 million deaths in Europe and 90,000 in Britain.

Full report: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/nov/07/antibiotic-resistant-superbugs-will-kill-90000-britons-by-2050

Anti-Bacterial hand wash has been identified as one of the causes which hardens bacteria up.

• Thanks 1

stevewinn

The merry dance of evolution that's been going since the first life on earth. Friendly bacteria have conolnised our bodies working together in tandem for the benefit of health - other nasty strains evolved to kill off the weak. We, like all life on earth are locked in a never ending race with the speed champions of evolution bacteria and viruses. The common flu will kill double or three times the number killed by superbugs. 

The common cold/flu is that common that its higher fatally rate doesn't even make the news. If it did we'd be living in perpetual fear. The way to look at life is when your time is up its up, no sense in worrying as it's completely pointless. 

• Like 1

Dark_Grey
3 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Anti-Bacterial hand wash has been identified as one of the causes which hardens bacteria up.

Also anti-biotics but not in the way you would think. Anti-biotics are very effective but people start taking them and don't finish the full cycle leaving some of the bugs alive to adapt and spread. That's the real cause of superbugs. 

• Like 3

stevewinn
1 hour ago, Dark_Grey said:

Also anti-biotics but not in the way you would think. Anti-biotics are very effective but people start taking them and don't finish the full cycle leaving some of the bugs alive to adapt and spread. That's the real cause of superbugs. 

I blame the doctors as well, when did you last go the doctors feeling unwell, maybe with a cough only for the doctors to prescribe antibiotics with no culture taken to identify the strain of bacteria and the correct and most effective anti biotic?

Never, they just prescribe a broadspectrum antibiotic such as amoxicillian. And hope that works, okay a culture sensitivity test would take 5 days to grow. But how many people make a recovery thanks to their own immune system and the course of antibiotics was a waste of time. 

The best part is even if you've never take antibiotics and your hit by a resistant bacterial strain you'll suffer just as bad as someone who abused antibiotics. 

• Like 1

Dark_Grey
7 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

The best part is even if you've never take antibiotics and your hit by a resistant bacterial strain you'll suffer just as bad as someone who abused antibiotics. 

Yep. I haven't taken them in years. I rarely seek any prescriptions unless there isn't a hope in hell I will get better on my own. No flu shots, no nothing. I'm a big believer in the body's well established and evolved immune system. When I do get sick, it still hits me hard but I find I get over it more quickly than my peers who are constantly taking some kind of medicine.

• Like 1

stevewinn
7 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Yep. I haven't taken them in years. I rarely seek any prescriptions unless there isn't a hope in hell I will get better on my own. No flu shots, no nothing. I'm a big believer in the body's well established and evolved immune system. When I do get sick, it still hits me hard but I find I get over it more quickly than my peers who are constantly taking some kind of medicine.

If we stick close to nature we won't go far wrong, but then again I say that as a British citizen whos been inoculated against deadly forms of viruses and bacteria. Which wiped out billions of humans before me for millenia so modern medicine as its role, we just need to be careful with antibiotics as the dream of curing could become a nightmare.