Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jewish Harvard Professor EncountersMary

markdohle

Jewish Harvard Professor Encounters Mary

A Jewish Harvard business professor who was flirting with atheism and pleading for guidance received an unexpected answer to a prayer: the Blessed Mother, arrayed with supernal ineffable splendor.

Continue:  https://spiritdailyblog.com/miracles/jewish-harvard-professor-encounter-mary

• Like 2

.. and the good Professor broke his Mama and Papa's heart ...

~

~

• Thanks 1

Wow, really. All it takes is a crisis of faith to put someone back on the "straight and narrow". (yeah, that's sarcasm)

I'd think I'll believe when all the kids in every Saint Jude's Children's hospital are mysteriously cancer/illness free in a single event. 

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing the item, @markdohle.Carl Jung would've loved this story.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There really is nothing much to say about Mary. She is pretty amazing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"For the next year, that was his prayer, each night — to learn the Name of His Lord and Master and God."

What a strange reaction to such an experience, to just want to have a "name" ? It reminded me of this :

Wot's in a name? -- she sez . . . An' then she sighs, 
An' clasps 'er little 'ands, an' rolls 'er eyes. 
"A rose," she sez, "by any other name 
Would smell the same."

But, reading a little further, we see this, which could raise gales of laughter as a comedy skit !

He prayed “to this God Who was so incredibly present to let me know His Name, so that ‘I know what religion to follow to serve and to worship You properly. I don’t mind if You are Buddhist and I have to become a Buddhist. I don’t mind if You’re Krishna and I have to become a Hindu, I don’t mind if You’re Apollo and I have to become a Roman pagan, as long as You’re not Christ and I have to become Christian.”

:rolleyes:

Edited by Habitat
  • Like 3

In his story he said he wanted to know which was the true religion, the true God, and it could be any of them out there and he would convert, except Jesus, if I read it right. So that was his quest, to find out if it was Buddha or Thor or anybody.

Maybe for him, being Jewish, which is very defined, this was important? To me, who views religions as more a case of social constructs than mandated Truth, it is interesting, though I have always been ok with "God" as the name and not worried about the details so much. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Yeah, not like the details won't get you killed. 

How so? God is gonna get me if I hear the name wrong? Or do you mean other people? 

If this story is true, then it is good news for all, because if "God" will even accept people with bigotry so engrained, that even a personal audience with the "big man" can't shift it, then there is hope for everyone.

• Like 2

The whole story strongly reminds me of the religious jokes told so well by the late Dave Allen, he'd have adopted it as part of his comedy routines, with that punchline of a jew who meets "God" but is in horror of the thought it might be the Christian one. Too funny.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

How so? God is gonna get me if I hear the name wrong? Or do you mean other people? 

In the bold. God as a concept can mean a lot of things to a lot of people. None of which is actually right because no one actually knows. So god is just an idea upon belief is anchored to. Be it good or bad faith. People sometimes take their beliefs too seriously. That's when problems arise. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

People sometimes take their beliefs too seriously. That's when problems arise. 

:yes:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, markdohle said:

Jewish Harvard Professor Encounters Mary

Good for him. I believe God can be found in many forms. 

I looked him up on the internet. He is indeed a real person and Catholic. I am not Catholic but I think there are too many anti-Catholics out there so I hope this gives the many good Catholics some encouragement. Of course we know Mary was a Jew also so this shouldn't seem so strange.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

In the bold. God as a concept can mean a lot of things to a lot of people. None of which is actually right because no one actually knows. So god is just an idea upon belief is anchored to. Be it good or bad faith. People sometimes take their beliefs too seriously. That's when problems arise. 

True. Vodou is one of the most hated roads out there, on par with Satanism to some, so I am familiar. It cost me a great deal, and not a bit of that was God's doing, it was ignorant religious sorts and bigots. God is a lot cooler than some of those who think they are following Him.

• Like 3