Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iceland's new Christmas Ad unfit for TV

Eldorado

Iceland has had its Christmas TV advert barred from being broadcast for being too poltiical.

A far cry from its previous glitzy ads for the festive season, the value supermarket has launched a hard-hitting animation illustrating the devastating use palm oil is having on natural habitats.

Its in stark contrast to the trend of big budget ads being launched by companies in the run up to Christmas, most notably John Lewis.

The animated ad features a little girl annoyed that an orangutan has invaded her bedroom but finds out it's because his home has been destroyed in deforestation to make way for the production of palm oil, something used in a large number of everyday items.

But the emotive campaign, narrated by actress Emma Thompson has fallen foul of regulators on the grounds of it being seen as too political in its attempts to highlight the worthy cause.

Full report plus video: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/iceland-youtube-christmas-tv-advert-2200582

• Thanks 3

Oh, hell. Let's direct link it. On what planet is this "unfit?"

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

The palm oil industry is destroying forests and habitat for thousands of animals, but will probably be the main driving factor in the extinction of the orangutan. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

We've got at least another 45 days of Christmas adverts to come, and we've already had them for 3 weeks!  I seriously hate it.

Edited by acute
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

The decision to ban this advert is overtly political.  

However, the advert didn't really go far enough.   It should have shown children buried alive under tonnes of mud - just another consequence of the tropical deforestation which, it seems, some are determined to see continue......  Buy hey, what's a few hundred lives when we can make another $1 a year profit?

• Like 5

Well just watched to ad and i can not in the life of see why they can not show it. 

We have untold ads about starving children in Africa, poverty in India and we have had for years. 

What is wrong with trying to save animals?  

Guess the companies using palm oils are not very happy about this ad and seems their money speaks volumes. 

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Palm oil? Never used it, is that a middle-class thing?

You will have without knowing it. It's in all sorts of things - from soap to cheap chocolate. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I had no idea how much devastation the palm oil industry was causing.

We need more ads like this one. It was informative and brilliantly done.

Really annoyed that it was removed (for the stated, and especially the unstated, but blatantly obvious, reasons why).

• Like 5

There is a score card to see who are keeping their promises and who are not.

And here, it is very alarming the number who did not respond,  - these will be the companies paying the back handers to have adverts like this removed.

Adverts like this are a MUST and people should (if they give a damn) boycott the products from the companies who are in the red on the score card.

The score card changes so you can see more companies so stay on it to view the conpanies.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, seanjo said:

Palm oil? Never used it, is that a middle-class thing?

You've used it.

Probably use it every day and don't even realize it.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, acute said:

We've got at least another 45 days of Christmas adverts to come, and we've already had them for 3 weeks!  I seriously hate it.

Xmas is a bull**** holiday and the ads are the worst, but this one should air all year long.

• Like 2

Ahhh the price the planet pay for foreign direct investments ... no worries, as soon as they come up with a synthetic version the palm Estates will revert back into Tropical Jungle and the Rainforest will reclaim everything in a blink of an eye, no joke, the jungles here moves like you'd never believe possible

~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, eight bits said:

Oh, hell. Let's direct link it. On what planet is this "unfit?"

[Video removed by Palm Oil Inc. due to offensive nature]

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, aztek said:

palm oil is poison for human body,

What do you mean? In the same sense that too much oxygen will kill you too?

• Like 1

Video is excellent, the use of cheap palm oil in everyday foods and products needs highlighting. Cadburys along with galaxy  chocolate contain palm oil, instead of more expensive animal fat/oils or vegetable oils. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, aztek said:

palm oil is poison for human body,

No it is not. 

Though it certainly is a good addition to a healthful diet, reasonable consumption of this edible oil is still advised due to a number of reasons.

https://superhumancoach.com/pros-and-cons-of-palm-oil/

If someone wants to stuff their face with it, then you can not blame the palm oil for that.

But it is not poisonous,  like many things we eat, it has its pros and cons.

The issue is not the effects on the humans, it is the devastating effect the humans have cauaed on the forests and the wild life.

• Thanks 1

Just now, freetoroam said:

No it is not.

well, then enjoy it, me however, i'll stay away from it, i do not like saturated fat clogging my arteries, and palm oil has lots of it.

Palm oil is high in saturated fats. After trans fats were banned from snack foods, many companies began to use palm oil as a “healthy” alternative. Turns out, palm oil is bad for you too. A study that followed people who ate a diet rich in palm oil for five weeks saw an increase in their LDL cholesterol levels – very similar to what occurs when people consume trans fats.

https://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/5-reasons-to-avoid-palm-oil/

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, aztek said:

well, then enjoy it, me however, i'll stay away from it, i do not like saturated fat clogging my arteries, and palm oil has lots of it.

https://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/5-reasons-to-avoid-palm-oil/

Sorry aztec, i am with you on this. I was just pointing out it was not poisonous to humans, does not mean i am a fan. 

Sorry aztec, i am with you on this. I was just pointing out it was not poisonous to humans, does not mean i am a fan. 

no worries,   well it is not a poison like a cyanide, you wont die immediately, it may not even be as bad when pure, but after processing it, it gets much worst.

However, one animal study suggests that consuming oil that has been repeatedly reheated may cause plaque deposits in the arteries due to a decrease in the oil's antioxidant activity.

When rats ate food containing palm oil that had been reheated 10 times, they developed large arterial plaques and other signs of heart disease over the course of six months, whereas rats fed fresh palm oil did not (30).

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/palm-oil#section5

it is also used in production of margarine, another substance you do not want to put in your body.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, aztek said:

no worries,   well it is not a poison like a cyanide, you wont die immediately, it may not even be as bad when pure, but after processing it, it gets much worst.

it is also used in production of margarine, another substance you do not want to put in your body.

if someone wants to stuff themselves with saturated fats, then you can not blame the oil to be poisonous. 

Soaps,  detergents and make up containing palm oils are not going to poison humans. 

Another interesting article about palm oil

https://www.worldwildlife.org/pages/which-everyday-products-contain-palm-oil

if someone wants to stuff themselves with saturated fats, then you can not blame the oil to be poisonous.

if it does harm where other oils do not, with the same consumption rate,  it is, well poison maybe a strong word, but harmful it is.

Soaps,  detergents and make up containing palm oils are not going to poison humans

no, they will not poison you, but you do not eat them either.

we already consume some of it when we eat processed food, most without even knowing, and i'm sure it does get heated\cooled during process, for the ease of manufacturing.

i just do not see any benefits from it overall, other oil have same benefits, but none, or not nearly as much negative sides,  there are many oils that are much healthier to people.

and i'm not even touching environmental issue, which is really horrible, that is prbly why the add was pulled, it exposed nasty things industry does.,

39 minutes ago, aztek said:

consuming oil that has been repeatedly reheated may cause plaque deposits in the arteries

Well, I read that as plague deposits. That WOULD be bad. 

Summary of the advert

Shop at Iceland - We don't sell palm oil products.  We are great and every other supermarket is evil.  Look at our scary advert.  So tell your parents not to shop anywhere else, because if they do, then they are an accessory to murder.  We won't bother saying Merry Christmas because we think this message is too important.

Was this supposed to be a Christmas advert to get people into the festive spirit?  People are fed with adverts 24/7 telling us what we should do and who should get our money.  Everyday we see car accidents, starving children, cruelty to animals, funeral protection plans, and basically everything designed to depress the audience and make them feel guilty, angry and in some cases suicidal.  Finally we come to Christmas time.  That one sanctuary where we finally crack a smile and forget our troubles, and then we see Iceland's bizarre Greenpeace advert which clearly was designed to spark some kind of political change and turn every little girl into an SJW, and most importantly of course - to encourage people to shop at Iceland's.  It is shameful that they would hijack an important issue primarily for financial gains over the festive period knowing full well they would get more attention from the media.  If they really cared, then they would have released the advert earlier in the year.

If they did manage to release the advert then it would spark a dangerous precedent because it would allow everyone to bend the rules and create their own sub-agenda with direct or indirect political messages using their products as a fascade.

Edited by Aaron2016
  • Haha 1