Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

TV show to cover Rendlesham UFO mystery

UM-Bot

9 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Well, that's not exactly true. Some people demand physical evidence, yes, of course.

Others just want to see a good show on telly and listen to their story. As to what to believe,,,  it is up to the individual viewer.

They demand evidence, not story telling. 

Sure people want a good story. I do. I just realize that some stories such as Rendalsham are nothing more than a story.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Perhaps you are confusing evidence with proof. People generally know the difference.

A woman makes a #MeToo claim. That is evidence that JoeSchmo sexually attacked claimant. It is *also* evidence that JaneDoe is just shooting for money and fame!

Evidence <> proof.

Perhaps you have no idea what is meant by proof.

I am certainly not confusing evidence with proof. The only proof is in mathematics and logic, not in science.

A woman makes a claim. That is not evidence. That is a story. The links I provided are full of people convicted by tales and often exonerated by evidence.

1 hour ago, stereologist said:

They demand evidence, not story telling. 

Sure people want a good story. I do. I just realize that some stories such as Rendalsham are nothing more than a story.

Very possible, although I think their is something to what they say. Staging the whole thing seems highly unlikely

59 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Perhaps you have no idea what is meant by proof.

perhaps I *do*.

How many times has it happened that the "Gods" of science declare something to be proven true, and it wasn't (see Differential Operators  in differential equations).  And how many times have we seen something proven true, only for the gods to say, "NO" -  eg,, the earth is not the center of the universe, the earth is round, etc etc. Most thought Einstein was wrong, early on. The dual nature of light competing theories, and so on.

Here is what PROOF really is... proof is nothing more than the consensus of the Gods coming to agreement on a theory. That's IT!  They collectively could be wrong but the theory is still considered PROVEN true. So "proof" is not the absolute construct  most envision it to be.

I am certainly not confusing evidence with proof. The only proof is in mathematics and logic, not in science.

A woman makes a claim. That is not evidence. That is a story. The links I provided are full of people convicted by tales and often exonerated by evidence.

"A woman makes a claim" that can end a man going to prison for a long time. BUT, her story is the only "evidence" the court has to go on.  Yes, it is evidence, not proof. I understand that people are convicted on testimony evidence alone. It still happens and it is based on human testimony as their main evidence, and yes, it could be misleading, aka, wrong.

How many times has a person been an eyewitness to a crime, and that person at the last second refuses to testify. That shuts the case down immediately because there is no other evidence. It happens a lot, especially with women who charge their significant other with beating them.

Yes, I know what proof is.

10 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Very possible, although I think their is something to what they say. Staging the whole thing seems highly unlikely

I don't believe they staged anything. I believe these stories come out of confusion. The participants don't understand what they are seeing or more generally experiencing. Our brains are wired to come up with patterns or explanations. Those are often based on matching what is happening to previous ideas and experiences. If someone has a wish to seeing aliens or UFOs then they can latch onto to that early on in their experience. Others are brought on board by suggestions. Pretty soon everyone is seeing everything in light of this model that they are creating.

If someone tapes a sound and p lays it to people and claims it is a voice people report all sorts of ideas of what that voice is saying. But ask people if they hear the voice saying a particular word and people are prepped to hear that word and not other words.

My personal experience was seeing a cloud spinning on top of a mountain. It wasn't. It took me days to figure out what I had actually seen. It was a lenticular forming on the left and dissolving on the right. I still see it spinning in my mind, but I know it was an illusion and a fairly strong one.

Just now, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

perhaps I *do*.

How many times has it happened that the "Gods" of science declare something to be proven true, and it wasn't (see Differential Operators  in differential equations).  And how many times have we seen something proven true, only for the gods to say, "NO" -  eg,, the earth is not the center of the universe, the earth is round, etc etc. Most thought Einstein was wrong, early on. The dual nature of light competing theories, and so on.

Here is what PROOF really is... proof is nothing more than the consensus of the Gods coming to agreement on a theory. That's IT!  They collectively could be wrong but the theory is still considered PROVEN true. So "proof" is not the absolute construct  most envision it to be.

"A woman makes a claim" that can end a man going to prison for a long time. BUT, her story is the only "evidence" the court has to go on.  Yes, it is evidence, not proof. I understand that people are convicted on testimony evidence alone. It still happens and it is based on human testimony as their main evidence, and yes, it could be misleading, aka, wrong.

How many times has a person been an eyewitness to a crime, and that person at the last second refuses to testify. That shuts the case down immediately because there is no other evidence. It happens a lot, especially with women who charge their significant other with beating them.

Yes, I know what proof is.

No scientist would ever "declare something to be proven true". That is BS. Science never proves. 

All of your use of proven in terms of science is you being wrong. This just shows that you h ave no idea what proof means.

15 minutes ago, stereologist said:

I don't believe they staged anything. I believe these stories come out of confusion. The participants don't understand what they are seeing or more generally experiencing. Our brains are wired to come up with patterns or explanations. Those are often based on matching what is happening to previous ideas and experiences. If someone has a wish to seeing aliens or UFOs then they can latch onto to that early on in their experience. Others are brought on board by suggestions. Pretty soon everyone is seeing everything in light of this model that they are creating.

If someone tapes a sound and p lays it to people and claims it is a voice people report all sorts of ideas of what that voice is saying. But ask people if they hear the voice saying a particular word and people are prepped to hear that word and not other words.

Agree with all that. But it does not work in your favor here. These people were not "prepped" in the beginning. There had to be a first experience. Maybe the follow up the 2nd night, but not the first. There again, maybe they told the truth on both nights. You can't prove it and I know I can't either.

15 minutes ago, stereologist said:

My personal experience was seeing a cloud spinning on top of a mountain. It wasn't. It took me days to figure out what I had actually seen. It was a lenticular forming on the left and dissolving on the right. I still see it spinning in my mind, but I know it was an illusion and a fairly strong one.

When several people's stories "meld", that gets a little more difficult to explain. Were all of them off their meds or something?

18 minutes ago, stereologist said:

No scientist would ever "declare something to be proven true". That is BS. Science never proves. 

All of your use of proven in terms of science is you being wrong. This just shows that you h ave no idea what proof means.

Forget it.

I articulated my case to a tee. If all you ever do is say "NYET", then I'm out.

3 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Forget it.

I articulated my case to a tee. If all you ever do is say "NYET", then I'm out.

I hope you find this article useful in understanding that science never does proofs.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-scientific-fundamentalist/200811/common-misconceptions-about-science-i-scientific-proof

5 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Agree with all that. But it does not work in your favor here. These people were not "prepped" in the beginning. There had to be a first experience. Maybe the follow up the 2nd night, but not the first. There again, maybe they told the truth on both nights. You can't prove it and I know I can't either.

When several people's stories "meld", that gets a little more difficult to explain. Were all of them off their meds or something?

Of course they were prepped. We are all prepped. A first experience can be anything that leads a person to make an identification. I've been with people seeing UFOs that were satellites. No matter what I showed them they were sure it was alien craft. 

The stories have become embellished over time. That happens. It is normal. People do alter their stories to fit what others around them state. That happens all of the time. That is why witnesses are kept apart. It prevents one person's recollections from being altered by another person's statements. That happens when people are trying to tell the truth - it happens easily.

I never suggested anything about meds or such. Where did that come from?

• Thanks 1