Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

EU moves to protect large carnivores

Still Waters

The EU is to allow farmers to receive full compensation for any damages caused by attacks from protected animals like lynxes, wolves and bears.

Other expenses including installing electric fences or acquiring guard dogs to prevent damage will also be fully reimbursed.

The EU says the move will help protect large predators in areas where they have come into conflict with humans.

Campaigners hope it will limit the need for culls.

After many decades of decline, the numbers of large carnivores like wolves and bears are stable or increasing in many parts of Europe, often due to concentrated conservation efforts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46153727

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thank these folks for putting animals first. We're the ones encroaching on their territory.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Jenn8779 said:

Thank these folks for putting animals first. We're the ones encroaching on their territory.

It's our territory, too. Humans are land animals.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Black Monk said:

It's our territory, too. Humans are land animals.

Yes we are land animals and we've been taking up way more of it than we need. We should be able to share this planet with the other species that live here and have some consideration for them

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Jenn8779 said:

we've been taking up way more of it than we need. 

Says who?

We should be able to share this planet with the other species that live here

We do.

And humans are land animals. We do not "encroach" into other animals' land. It's our land, too.

7 hours ago, Black Monk said:

Says who?

We do.

And humans are land animals. We do not "encroach" into other animals' land. It's our land, too.

First, I say so based on what I see in my state. We have vacant houses all over yet we continue to have new construction of unnecessary "McMansions" built on formerly open space areas or farm land. We've had to fight in recent years to preserve what we call here the Pine Barrons for which @Piney can explain much more knowledgeably and eloquently than I could ever do. Add to that the many articles out there on abandoned areas of Europe where similar situations are in existence.

The bottom line is that if we were truly sharing our planet with other species conservation would be unnecessary. I don't have the knowledge or background to argue for climate change and it has many threads on here already with many knowledgeable and educated folks already posting about but it's becoming a factor.

Based on this thread and a couple of others, I'm inclined to believe you just don't like or appreciate nature and animals. And that is your choice. I truly feel sad for you though that you cannot appreciate the true beauty of nature and recognize it for the gift that it is. But I will also not be drawn into an argument with someone who  has no desire to change their opinions. There are other much more effective uses of my time and energy and that is where I will spend it

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 11/11/2018 at 10:01 PM, Jenn8779 said:

First, I say so based on what I see in my state. We have vacant houses all over yet we continue to have new construction of unnecessary "McMansions" built on formerly open space areas or farm land. We've had to fight in recent years to preserve what we call here the Pine Barrons for which @Piney can explain much more knowledgeably and eloquently than I could ever do. Add to that the many articles out there on abandoned areas of Europe where similar situations are in existence.

The bottom line is that if we were truly sharing our planet with other species conservation would be unnecessary. I don't have the knowledge or background to argue for climate change and it has many threads on here already with many knowledgeable and educated folks already posting about but it's becoming a factor.

Based on this thread and a couple of others, I'm inclined to believe you just don't like or appreciate nature and animals. And that is your choice. I truly feel sad for you though that you cannot appreciate the true beauty of nature and recognize it for the gift that it is. But I will also not be drawn into an argument with someone who  has no desire to change their opinions. There are other much more effective uses of my time and energy and that is where I will spend it

Humans are land animals. We aren't "encroaching" into other species' land. It's our land and our home, too. If you can't see that, then that's more your problem than it is mine.

34 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

Humans are land animals. We aren't "encroaching" into other species' land. It's our land and our home, too. If you can't see that, then that's more your problem than it is mine.

So you're happy for ants. cockroaches and rats to move in and live in your house?  After all, it's their land and home too :) 

1 hour ago, Essan said:

So you're happy for ants. cockroaches and rats to move in and live in your house?  After all, it's their land and home too :) 

Terrible logic.

I hope you aren't implying that humans should not be living in the same areas as other animals. If so, I hope the people who care for you don't allow you out.

Edited by Black Monk