Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ireland report of bright lights from aircraft

L.A.T.1961

The Irish Aviation Authority is investigating reports of bright lights and UFOs off the south-west coast of Ireland.

The pilot, flying from the Canadian city of Montreal to Heathrow, said there was a "very bright light" and the object had come up along the left side of the aircraft before it "rapidly veered to the north". Pilot said he saw "two bright lights" over to the right which climbed away at speed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46181662

• Like 4

Interesting report.

What people often miss is that objects flying by look like they are headed towards the horizon. The apparent motion is that objects above appear to fly down and objects below appear to fly up as they move towards the horizon.

• Like 3

Transcript of Radio communications -

At approximately 6.47am on November 9, the pilot of a British Airways flight, call sign Speedbird94, contacted Shannon Air Traffic Control (ATC) to ask if there were military exercises taking place in the airspace through which her Boeing 787 was passing.

There were no military exercises under way.

Shannon ATC replied: “There is nothing showing on either primary or secondary [radar].”

The pilot responded: “OK. It was moving so fast.”

The controller then asked: “Alongside you?”

The BA pilot, flying from Montreal to Heathrow, describes how the UFO came up along the left-hand side of the aircraft, “then rapidly veered to the north”.

She said it was “a very bright light” that “disappeared at very high speed”.

She said they were “wondering” what it could be, that it did not seem to be on a collision course.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/audio-close-encounter-with-ufo-off-irish-coast-leaves-pilots-wondering-884774.html

On this audio recording from 17 min in. 

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/einn/EINN-High-Nov-09-2018-0630Z.mp3

• Thanks 2

Meteors from the Leonid 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Aerodynamics + angle of entry + shape of meteor/ite can create upward movement.

As can either pilot or the autopilot banking the aircraft, even slightly.  Relative movement, granted, but that's what you get when you fly...

What I don't get is that we have all these multi-million dollar aircraft up there, and virtually none of them have a $50 dashcam, on continuous loop recording?  If I wuz a pilot, I'd take my own and stick the little sucker on every time I flew....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

@ChrLzs, I’d do the same! For this exact reason.

Could also have been a due regard military/state aircraft. But you’d still expect some sort of primary radar return, dependent on the coverage in the area etc, unless it was something with advanced stealth technology. 

Maybe an SR-71. :ph34r:

Don’t know if it would look similar at all to the description though...

36 minutes ago, Timothy said:

...advanced stealth technology.

It's the same tech that the alienz use, by the looks.

One day someone should tell them that maybe they should turn off their bright external lighting...??

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, ChrLzs said:

It's the same tech that the alienz use, by the looks.

One day someone should tell them that maybe they should turn off their bright external lighting...??

It’s actually just a setback with their zero-point propulsion system. They haven’t figured out how to dim the light from the space-time tear yet.

It is true, they told me in a dream. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Interesting that the armchair warriors choose to believe their own explanations rather than understand that three (at least) experienced airline pilots saw something they could not explain - despite each pilot's many hours in the air, despite their experiences of bright moving lights during many a night flight, and who all understand how a plane banks and what it does to their relative horizons.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Macroramphosis said:

Interesting that the armchair warriors choose to believe their own explanations rather than understand that three (at least) experienced airline pilots saw something they could not explain - despite each pilot's many hours in the air, despite their experiences of bright moving lights during many a night flight, and who all understand how a plane banks and what it does to their relative horizons.

So it didn't look like the usual, usual and they reported it. Good for them.

Still doesn't mean it was anything extraordinary. It just wasn't the usual-usual.

Funny how pilots have misidentified ground lights as giant UFOs, and canopy reflections as UFOs, and distant planes as UFOs. It happens.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Aye, they were pilots.   Not astronomers ;)    Sounds more and more likely just a fireball - either Leonid or late Taurid.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Macroramphosis said:

Can you clarify what you’re posting please, without the suggestive and emotive text?

Situational awareness/incorrect mental models etc. is, these days, a very critical part of training for air crew/ATC etc. 

Peoples with the highest of credentials are subject to normal human physiology.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, joc said:

Meteors from the Leonid 

I've been able to enjoy them the last couple of years but this year we're socked in with low clouds and rain for several days :( 

• Sad 1

Many pilots that have attempted to post video recordings of unidentified objects in the sky ultimately have there jobs threatened if not worse. I'm not sure of the actual reasons behind this but it has occurred many times and has been a well documented occurrence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TaintlessMetals said:

Many pilots that have attempted to post video recordings of unidentified objects in the sky ultimately have there jobs threatened if not worse. I'm not sure of the actual reasons behind this but it has occurred many times and has been a well documented occurrence.

Is this the case? I am guessing that posting videos is a sign that the pilot is not concentrating on the flight, which is their primary focus at work.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/23/easyjet-insists-passengers-not-put-risk-pilots-played-snapchat/

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/is-it-safe-for-pilots-to-take-photos-from-the-cockpit

British Airways is currently trialling "BASmart," a program that grants select pilots the operational permission to record photo and video material. Captures must be done during non-essential portions of the flight, in accordance with FAA, CAA, and other aviation body guidelines. (In layman's terms: no fiddling around during taxi, takeoff, approach, or landing phases of flight, or anything below 10,000 feet, when a "sterile" cockpit environment is required by aviation authority law.) This generally involves cameras being mounted, and captures timed, rather than snapped by hand. There have been no safety or security incidents thus far.

It's a safety issue.

There is some useful information on the Flight Radar site, it shows –

The British Airways flight, call sign Speedbird94 was over S/W Ireland at 39,000 ft, speed 537 knots and on a heading almost due east at 92 dgs. It’s coarse and speed had been constant prior to and after the sighting as shown by Flight Radar site.  

The Virgin 747 was S/W of the Irish coast at 36,000 ft, speed 592 knots and on a heading of 58 dgs. It’s coarse and speed had been constant prior to and after the sighting.

The Norwegian Air 737 was further north but also S/W of Ireland at 34,000 ft speed 553 knots and a heading of 61 dgs. It’s coarse and speed had been constant prior to and just after the sighting.

The three aircraft involved formed a right angle triangle formation and a relative position of the object from these aircraft could be used to calculate its real position and path. 

https://planefinder.net/

ba94.JPG

• Thanks 2

On 13/11/2018 at 6:54 PM, Macroramphosis said:

Interesting that you apparently think aircraft pilots should not be trained to react with the greatest care to anything they see (no matter how rare a phenomena it may be), and that they somehow get to see and identify everything in the sky before they are allowed to fly...

Aircraft pilots are NOT trained to observe in that way, they are trained specifically to regard anything up there as a potential threat to their aircraft.  Their primary task is to identify the direction and speed of anything that might be near their path and take evasive action if necessary.  They are NOT tasked with worrying about what it was.  If anything, they are not as good an *identifier* as a simple Jill/Joe Bloggs (like me) who actually likes to watch the sky and takes pride in knowing all, or as many as possible, of the potential hazards up there.  FTR, while I'm a sky-watching enthusiast, I've personally never see a 'bouncing', upwards travelling meteor, but I know they exist.  I'll bet if you surveyed 100 pilots, less than 10 would be familiar with meteoric possibilities.  I'll also bet you didn't know about that one before you read it here.  (If you did, you really should have commented on that in your post - no point in claiming it now..)

Next time you accuse others of lacking an open mind, first up ADDRESS what they are saying.  I note you offered absolutely no information, refutation, or additional suggestions in your post - nothing but the ad hominem.  Check the mirror for closemindedness first, hey..?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Could have been an airshow, as performed by the foo fighters, as a show of force for the 100th Anniversary of Armistice Day (November 11, 1918).

ET interstellar warriors...should have been previously aware of such an important date & time.

Edited by Erno86
added a few words
  • Haha 1

Are to next generation of SST's being tested?

The problem with the identification of fireballs: Sometimes foo fighters camouflage themselves as "fireballs," (whether intentional or not) as classified in the Meteor Society log.

On 11/14/2018 at 12:31 PM, TaintlessMetals said:

LOL well you can be sure, one of the reasons is "OMG, I don't want to fly on that airline. They have pilots that see little green men flying UFO's"

On 15/11/2018 at 3:31 AM, TaintlessMetals said:

Utter HOGWASH.

Do you really think that in this day and age of internet anonymity this would be likely, or that pilots would recklessly endanger future flights?  It's patently daft.

• Like 2

This looks like the same lights, seen by the airline pilots, recorded by a drivers dash cam.  

"The footage of the ‘unidentified flying object’ was recorded on a dash-cam by Sandy Laverty, a member of the public, as they drove to work on the Cloyfin Coad in Coleraine on Friday November 9 at 6:44am. Sandy described the footage as “showing a bright object shoot across the sky”

https://inews.co.uk/video/ufo-video-northern-ireland-irish-sea-sightings-investigation/ 

Another link with same video. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

This looks like the same lights, seen by the airline pilots, recorded by a drivers dash cam.  

"The footage of the ‘unidentified flying object’ was recorded on a dash-cam by Sandy Laverty, a member of the public, as they drove to work on the Cloyfin Coad in Coleraine on Friday November 9 at 6:44am. Sandy described the footage as “showing a bright object shoot across the sky”

https://inews.co.uk/video/ufo-video-northern-ireland-irish-sea-sightings-investigation/ 

Another link with same video. 

It look like a meteor to me...

• Like 1