Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Megachurch Pastor Warns Against Yoga

Piney

1 hour ago, danydandan said:

What's a Megachurch? Sounds like supervillains hideout.

From what I can tell. A megachurch tend to have both a coffee and gift shop. With a rather large auditorium with the latest sound system. Went to one a few years ago. I swear it felt like you had to drop a $100 in the collection plate. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Haha 4

On 11/13/2018 at 10:47 AM, Piney said:

The Assembies of God Church Missionaries have been kicked out of every Reserve. They like burning down Mide Huts and Pipe Keepers' Houses. 

Morons! 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/megachurch-pastor-tells-church-to-stop-going-to-yoga-because-of-its-demonic-roots/ar-BBPCPcB

I have never known preachers to be knowledgable concerning the subjects they preach about (or most others, for that matter).

Doug

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Doug1o29 said:

I have never known preachers to be knowledgable concerning the subjects they preach about (or most others, for that matter).

That's why my only message as a Wisdom Keeper is "Read everything, question everything and figure it out for yourself".  :yes:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I know one thing folks, if they practiced yoga in them pants at church I might be interested in going again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/13/2018 at 12:47 PM, Piney said:

The Assembies of God Church Missionaries have been kicked out of every Reserve. They like burning down Mide Huts and Pipe Keepers' Houses. 

This is much more common than folks would like to admit. I was forced to stop taking karate classes as a kid because of the meditation aspect to it. Clearing the mind leaves the door open for demons and whatnot. :rolleyes:

• Like 4

On 11/13/2018 at 1:18 PM, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

My wife is a Yoga Instructor and hires many churches for her classes, I do know some of the questions she was asked before using the venues, were based on Yoga style and its beliefs/background and what music would she be playing during her classes.. 

It's very common in this area too.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

When the pastor/minister/preacher/priest starts instructing people to follow made up religious laws, then they are no better then the Pharisees that Jesus ranted against. Where in the Bible does Jesus speak out about contemplation and stretching? Doesn't exist. Where does it say not to follow practices that come from Asia? Again, doesn't exist.

Yoga is exercise, plain and simple.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2018 at 2:58 AM, danydandan said:

So stretching is a bad thing now?

Maybe it's a typo. Yoga pants maybe. They are wicked after all. 

product-image-511944092_800x.jpg?v=15224

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 2018-11-13 at 8:03 PM, danydandan said:

What's a Megachurch? Sounds like supervillains hideout.

Or like some bad metal band name

39 minutes ago, Avalanche said:

Or like some bad metal band name

Is god-metal a thing?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Is god-metal a thing?

5683c1ad2f27fe94d8da1b7dc0aee804.320x320

8 minutes ago, MERRY DMAS said:

5683c1ad2f27fe94d8da1b7dc0aee804.320x320

Makes me sad. 

1 hour ago, danydandan said:

Is god-metal a thing?

Yes strangely christian metal bands exist , laughs :)

6 minutes ago, Avalanche said:

Yes strangely christian metal bands exist , laughs :)

I suppose Metallica wrote a lot of God themed songs. 

Holier Than Thou, God That Failed etcetca.

36 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I suppose Metallica wrote a lot of God themed songs. 

Holier Than Thou, God That Failed etcetca.

Many bands have religiously "inspired " or " themed " songs.  For example Nick cave 

2 hours ago, Avalanche said:

Many bands have religiously "inspired " or " themed " songs.  For example Nick cave 

Who or what is Nick Cave?

On 11/13/2018 at 4:05 PM, Scudbuster said:

Megachurches: A means to a calculated end........for certain clever people:

Church and taxes.jpg

Not very clever really, neither those contributing to and for sure not those preaching material prosperity .......in the calculated end......the pluses and minuses will be added and subtracted, and then multiplied by a factor of ten, as a minimum, as the calculations go. The teachers and preachers will be weighed on another scale, perhaps as high as a factor of ten thousand.

James: Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. We all stumble in many ways....... Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.......... Listen, my dear brothers and sisters: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him? But you have dishonored the poor. Is it not the rich who are exploiting you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=20&v=U5lv8IflbHw

Matthew: Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you workers of lawlessness!’ Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them is like a wise man who built his house on the rock....

Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them is like a wise man who built his house on the rock...

I do get what Pettytalk  was saying with the quote from James. St.James also made the remark, that faith without works is dead. And Jesus Himself says, that "That what you do for the least of Mine, you do for Me."  Meaning that we should help those who are lest fortunate to the best of abilities.Remebr Jesus preached to the crowds, he feed the multitude, healed the sick etc. He associated not with Herod, but the common people.

Maybe the preacher should have said in a rational way why he didn't think  it was a good idea for Christians to practice yoga, as it is an eastern form of mysticism, and that instead of spending time doing yoga,  folks should follow the example of Our Lord Jesus, and help  your neighbor  in various ways, and look for no reward,certainly not monetary. As a Catholic and a christian(, though this idiot preacher  would claim I'm not a christian that is,) I've never had any great yearn to learn or practice yoga or any form of eastern mysticism. I have the whole history of the Catholic Church  with many mystics,  to call upon. St.Teresa of Avila, St.John of the Cross, St.Francis De Sales, St.Therese of Liseux known as the Little Flower, Thomas A'Kempis, St.Hildegard of Bigen and others.Books  like the Imitation of Christ by A'Kempis,  and of the other saints, are still in print after several hundred years, long after they were written. The Little Flower, who was a french woman and a member of the Discaled Carmelite Nuns is more modern, having died in the early 1900s, but her book is also  still in print.There is a spark of God in all of us.  The Cathars a christian sect considered by the Catholic Church to be heretics , believed that the Good God created  these sparks of light, ie: the human soul and that the Demiurge imprisioned them in bodies of clay.That it was our job to  reunite with God. Look at someone lying in their casket at a funeral home, I mean really look. That was what struck me when  both  my mother and later my father died. While the body was there,  their spirts what made them momma and daddy were no longer in their bodies. I think in some ways I  may   be more aligned with the Cathars and their thinking, than anything from the east. Beside, just look around at all the animals and the landscape, and the beautiful blue sky, and all the beautiful flowers. I see God in all that.

On 11/13/2018 at 2:44 PM, XenoFish said:

From what I can tell. A megachurch tend to have both a coffee and gift shop. With a rather large auditorium with the latest sound system. Went to one a few years ago. I swear it felt like you had to drop a $100 in the collection plate. 

Church/religion is a business, one that returns some huge profits.  Those profits not spent on community service and activities that benefit other people (not just church members), should be subject to taxation just like any other profit-making business.

Churches make use of streets, fire and police protection, water, electricity and other services frequently provided to them at no charge.  It is not right for them to freeload off the rest of society.

Doug

• Like 2

10 hours ago, danydandan said:

Who or what is Nick Cave?

Nick  Cave and the bad seeds 

• Like 3

Meh...most people just do yoga for health and it's got nothing to do with any belief system.