Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Florida's racing ban leaves greyhounds doomed?

Still Waters

Sometimes trying to making things better actually makes them worse.

When an amendment passed on 6 November to ban dog-racing in Florida, animal-lovers and rights activists celebrated.

But greyhound adoption groups have told the BBC they now fear the ban could lead to thousands of dogs being killed as it comes into force.

Animal rights groups fiercely contest the claim, calling it "fear-mongering" by groups close to the racing industry.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46145276

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

• The title was changed to Florida's racing ban leaves greyhounds doomed?

yep, they all will be euthanized, save a few young pups who will get adopted.   it is not a breed that is popular as a pet in USA, i have seen people walking greyhounds maybe 2-3 times in my life. and i always had dogs and went to dog parks.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Used racing greyhounds have a much harder life than used racing horses, generally speaking. The initial "cull" will be sad but ultimately it's for the best. No more breeding and enslaving dogs for racing

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, aztek said:

yep, they all will be euthanized, save a few young pups who will get adopted.   it is not a breed that is popular as a pet in USA, i have seen people walking greyhounds maybe 2-3 times in my life. and i always had dogs and went to dog parks.

Alabama has greyhound racing parks.  My uncle owned a small farm for raising them for the track.  They were well cared for and it was an expensive endeavor.  They are labor intensive to maintain in a healthy condition and most people don't want them.  The great majority will be euthanized.  They are beautiful animals and it will be a shame to see them culled in such a heartless way.

• Like 6

Here we have Greyhound rescue groups. Several of them would come to the nursing homes I worked in. I'm sure there are other ones in the country. Hopefully, some of them will take many of the dogs and find homes for them.

• Like 3

We used to go to the greyhound races on family day when we lived in Pensacola. I was probably 7 or 8. They are beautiful animals but I believe require a lot of exercise. Not for the average dog owner.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, skliss said:

They are beautiful animals but I believe require a lot of exercise. Not for the average dog owner.

Agreed. My lab/pit mix is a lotta work. Gotta get him lots of exercise or he goes bonkers. Not a problem for me though cause I'm active. Love taking him to the park and beach.

• Like 2

I personally think animal racing is cruelty. 

And would happily ban it in a New York Minute if assurances could be placed thst no animal would suffer as a result of the banning. It’s a catch 22.

On 11/15/2018 at 9:10 AM, skliss said:

We used to go to the greyhound races on family day when we lived in Pensacola. I was probably 7 or 8. They are beautiful animals but I believe require a lot of exercise. Not for the average dog owner.

They'd prefer to be couch potatoes. If there isn't a lot of activity around they're happy to sleep all day. They make great pets even for apartment dwellers.

• Like 1

then horse racing is just as cruel to horses as it is to dogs, even more, since they have to carry a person on their back, we might as well ban horse racing as well.

30 minutes ago, Michelle said:

They'd prefer to be couch potatoes. If there isn't a lot of activity around they're happy to sleep all day. They make great pets even for apartment dwellers.

Good to know. I remember a group who brought rehabilitated racing greyhounds to my sons school. They had a talk about the rehabbing, they even had to teach them how to go up and down stairs. I thought they said they required more exercise but I admit I didn't hear everything. I believe some were being used as service dogs.

• Like 1

Years ago I heard their nickname...40 mph couch potatoes. They

are fast but only when coerced. :P

• Like 1

there was a similar proposed ban on greyhound racing by politicians in NSW Australia. more to do with redeveloping the valuable land the racing tract occupied than any concern for the welfare of the animals. needless to say as soon as the public kicked back the government not wanting to lose votes changed its mind. i wonder if this proposed ban has a similar agenda.