Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Family thinks that I accidentally cursed us..

Akio Kuro

This is the first time ever going to a site like this so I hope I'm doing this right. Anyways, I'll try my best to do this.

Okay first of all I should state that my father is Catholic and my mother is Protestant (I think?) and so I was raised to love the Lord and his Son. Hell, my own uncle is the priest at our church. I never felt like I fit in and in my late teens I found Wicca and I finally felt like this was my true path. I hid my beliefs for as long as I can until I "came out" as a witch when I turned 20. My family was/is not happy about it at all. They tried so hard to get me to "see the light of Christ" but I think they finally gave up and try to ignore it now. That is until a few months ago at least. Suddenly everything in my family started to have problems. My father and mother couldn't talk to each other without the fight, my brother and parents were hit with a deep depression, my dad's jobs suddenly went chaotic and became sick almost 24/7, and I had a sudden psychotic episode which lead to me almost slitting my throat. Even my dog seems depressed. Around the same time this all started my family and friends noticed that my room was always cold. The thermometer said it was around 52°F, even when outside was 90°+ outside or when my family turned the heater on to 74° during the winter. I constantly have vivid nightmares and recently found out that so have some of my own friends and other family members. However whenever we are out of the house as family things have been positive. My parents laugh and smile and cuddle each other, my older brother laughs when he out with us or friends, and I feel happier. But once we get home things go back to being depressed.

Then last Friday my mom came to me and awkwardly tried to talk about how we see shows about the paranormal and curses and after 10 minutes I realized that she thought that I did something with my witchcraft. I tried to say that it is true that some people use magik for bad purposes but I don't. I tried to explain that there is a left side and right side paths, evil and good paths, ect. She just sighed and left the room. I was hurt and I went to my room and started to cast a circle to pray to the God and Goddess for guidance. Then my father came home and opened my door. He looked scared when he saw me praying at my altar and blurted out "This is what is harming our family!". I knew there was no point in explaining what I was doing since he wasn't going to believe me either way.

I don't know what to do. I want to bless the house but can't without scaring my family. I don't know who to go to or what to do. I know that something is plaguing my family. I believe it was a set of Tarot cards that I was holding for my friend. They belonged to her estranged older brother and we believe he used it for bad purposes. She felt uncomfortable holding it because she was scared of what he might have done and so I volunteered to keep it for now. We went and got it cleansed and we no longer sense anything negative from it but I think whatever it was it made home in my room.

I honestly don't know what to do and don't know who to go to for advice. I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense. I just don't know how to explain all of this without sounding crazy. I'm worried about state my family is inn and that things with get worse. Help?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Akio Kuro said:

I honestly don't know what to do and don't know who to go to for advice. I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense. I just don't know how to explain all of this without sounding crazy. I'm worried about state my family is inn and that things with get worse. Help?

You are doing no harm. They are doing it to themselves with the belief that your practices are "evil". I can't get into more detail because I'm working on something, but stop worrying. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

A lot of times in life when things go wrong. Things that have been building up, perhaps for years. People need a scapegoat. Unfortunately in some cases spiritual/religious paranoia can cause people to attack/accuse even their own families. If you have done nothing wrong then stand strong leaning onto the truth. 

Magick, religion, spirituality is all about mindset. A lens through which people see the world through their beliefs. At its roots it creates a change in consciousness. Anything that contradicts a belief is often venomously fought against. The ideas build up, gaining emotional strength. It can even turn the best of us into monsters. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Like they said.

Whist I'm not into esoterica or religion, you have done nothing wrong. Sometimes families fall on hard times for no reason. A lot which you described seems coincidental.

Beliefs, in my opinion, should be held closely and only offered when asked. You sound like a well meaning person, therefore there's nothing wrong with you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Akio Kuro said:

I "came out" as a witch when I turned 20.

Do you know what your doing with your witchcraft?How do you know you haven't brought bad things into the home.Your upsetting your family with this stuff even if its not bad in your eyes.If you were my kid you'd be given your marching orders to practice witchcraft at your own place.Don't worry about blessing your parent's home,I don't think they are interested.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, openozy said:

Do you know what your doing with your witchcraft?How do you know you haven't brought bad things into the home.Your upsetting your family with this stuff even if its not bad in your eyes.If you were my kid you'd be given your marching orders to practice witchcraft at your own place.Don't worry about blessing your parent's home,I don't think they are interested.

Fixed that for the OP.

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

In itself, you have every right to pursue the religious practice which resonates with your spirit best, as long as it harms no one else. To that extent I agree with previous posters. Wicca, in itself, is innocuous and I do not even consider Wiccans to be witches in the true sense, though some use the word. "Witch" and "bruja" means something different in my world. Way, way darker than Wiccans. 

Here is what you need to look at in what you say here, IMO. You are over 20 years old, still at home, knowingly going against what your family believes under your Dad's roof. My Dad would have thrown me out of the house if I had set up in Vodou under his roof like this and expected acceptance and sweetness and light understanding from them.

How much of your pay check goes to help support the house you are living in? You have a job and clean the house and participate, right? Cook meals some nights, that sort of thing as an adult?

Psychotic break and slashing your own throat and adding to the trauma and drama you describe, and you think you are not in need of some better ideas? The issue here is not Wicca, but a need for some serious soul searching and for you to DO what you need to do - medically, whatever - to get straight and be the adult here for yourself. You are not their baby anymore, it is time to step up to the plate and pull some of the load or get your own place and life if you think you don't owe them for your keep. 

They do not know your religion, and don't have to. They are afraid of words like "witch" and apparently are not close to a priest enough to be reassured nothing you are gonna do is going to hurt them. Your own behavior and appearance does not reassure them either, it seems? 

Maybe I sound hard but I am a Father and this is messed up and no, this does not sound ok and you doing nothing wrong. Religion is a social construct and useless when your closest relationships are in havoc. Deal with family and let religion form and be as it becomes as hearts work through the mess and seek what light all of you may find in the effort. That is what I feel I have to reply to this. 

I wish you well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Fixed that for the OP.

Unfortunately for you I'm allowed my opinion in an open forum.

Edited by openozy

5 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

In itself, you have every right to pursue the religious practice which resonates with your spirit best, as long as it harms no one else. To that extent I agree with previous posters. Wicca, in itself, is innocuous and I do not even consider Wiccans to be witches in the true sense, though some use the word. "Witch" and "bruja" means something different in my world. Way, way darker than Wiccans. 

Here is what you need to look at in what you say here, IMO. You are over 20 years old, still at home, knowingly going against what your family believes under your Dad's roof. My Dad would have thrown me out of the house if I had set up in Vodou under his roof like this and expected acceptance and sweetness and light understanding from them.

How much of your pay check goes to help support the house you are living in? You have a job and clean the house and participate, right? Cook meals some nights, that sort of thing as an adult?

Psychotic break and slashing your own throat and adding to the trauma and drama you describe, and you think you are not in need of some better ideas? The issue here is not Wicca, but a need for some serious soul searching and for you to DO what you need to do - medically, whatever - to get straight and be the adult here for yourself. You are not their baby anymore, it is time to step up to the plate and pull some of the load or get your own place and life if you think you don't owe them for your keep. 

They do not know your religion, and don't have to. They are afraid of words like "witch" and apparently are not close to a priest enough to be reassured nothing you are gonna do is going to hurt them. Your own behavior and appearance does not reassure them either, it seems? 

Maybe I sound hard but I am a Father and this is messed up and no, this does not sound ok and you doing nothing wrong. Religion is a social construct and useless when your closest relationships are in havoc. Deal with family and let religion form and be as it becomes as hearts work through the mess and seek what light all of you may find in the effort. That is what I feel I have to reply to this. 

I wish you well.

That's exactly what I meant to say lol.

2 minutes ago, openozy said:

Unfortunately for you I'm allowed my opinion in an open forum.

To which, you've posted.

All I've expressed is my opinion, which is that you're almost entirely wrong.

• Like 2

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked
14 hours ago, XenoFish said:

. People need a scapegoat.

Absolutely true, fearful people often turn on the closet thing that is "not normal" for them.

• Like 3

DangiT ! where did all the good stuff go eh?!?!?!?!?!?, eee I'm late again, dollar short day late whatever BOO ! Laterzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Edited by MWoo7
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

I wish you well.

I'm turning 22 soon and I know that I am not "their baby" anymore. My brother and I still live with my parents because that is the way my culture is so to speak. I don't know how it is in other countries but in Bolivia it is common to stay with your parents until marriage. To kick out a family member once they become an adult is rare. Even once my parents married they still lived in a large house with my maternal grandparents and aunts and uncles for years before we moved to the United States. I also know that in Spanish the word witch is usually used negatively but that is not always the case. Some of my family members know my beliefs and respect them but my mother and father are scared of it. And yes I had a psychotic break but what was strange was that I hadn't had one for almost 8 years. I was hospitalized for a few weeks afterwards. My uncle choose that time to talk to my parents about how I paganism is the work of the Devil so that definitely is contributing to the fear my mother and father have over my religion. I just my family to be okay again.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, XenoFish said:

A lot of times in life when things go wrong. Things that have been building up, perhaps for years. People need a scapegoat. Unfortunately in some cases spiritual/religious paranoia can cause people to attack/accuse even their own families. If you have done nothing wrong then stand strong leaning onto the truth. 

Magick, religion, spirituality is all about mindset. A lens through which people see the world through their beliefs. At its roots it creates a change in consciousness. Anything that contradicts a belief is often venomously fought against. The ideas build up, gaining emotional strength. It can even turn the best of us into monsters. 

Thank you. It is just hard to be positive these days. At times I've been doubting myself and thinking that they are all right and I am the cause of this. I just don't know what to do right now other than to pray and hope things will get better..

1 minute ago, Akio Kuro said:

Thank you. It is just hard to be positive these days. At times I've been doubting myself and thinking that they are all right and I am the cause of this. I just don't know what to do right now other than to pray and hope things will get better..

Quit trying to be positive. By constantly trying to be positive you ignore the negative around you. You must be honest with yourself about how things are going. You must be grounded, realistic. Praying might make you feel good, actions make those prayers a reality. If you want things to get better, make it so. Make your life better. You're 20. Time to leave the nest and let those who are left behind fend for themselves. You can not save the world. If this seems harsh, really think about what I'm saying.

• Like 1

To be fair OP, I have witnessed a psychotic break from my mom before. She heard tons of "angels" talking to her, who for some reason felt it was a good idea for her to not sleep and reject all liquds lol.

When crazy things like that happen it is easy for family to fall into superstitions. My little brother almost believed she was possessed, since all the medical test were coming back negative.

So don't forget to have compassion for your family. We all just see things from our own lense.

I just wouldn't bless the house if they are so against it. Blessing someone's house without consent might not be right haha.

But I don't belive in curses anyways.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

Like they said.

Whist I'm not into esoterica or religion, you have done nothing wrong. Sometimes families fall on hard times for no reason. A lot which you described seems coincidental.

Beliefs, in my opinion, should be held closely and only offered when asked. You sound like a well meaning person, therefore there's nothing wrong with you.

I just want my family to be okay again. There is just so much bad energy around us that sometimes I think that they are right. I'm just confused and hurt by how they are even suggesting that I would do something horrible to my own family.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

I just wouldn't bless the house if they are so against it. Blessing someone's house without consent might not be right haha.

But I don't belive in curses anyways.

You know the saying, "It's the thought that counts". Yeah, thoughts can cause a lot of changes in peoples conscious. 

• Like 3