Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Kilogram gets a new definition

Still Waters

Scientists have changed the way the kilogram is defined.

Currently, it is defined by the weight of a platinum-based ingot called "Le Grand K" which is locked away in a safe in Paris.

On Friday, researchers meeting in Versailles voted to get rid of it in favour of defining a kilogram in terms of an electric current.

The decision was made at the General Conference on Weights and Measures.

But some scientists, such as Perdi Williams at the National Physical Laboratory in the UK, have expressed mixed feelings about the change.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46143399

• Thanks 1

So the new way to measure is to use an electromagnet to "equalize" the force (i.e. the mass I suppose)...

Would this be a constant?... Would the EM force needed be the same at different altitudes? In the micro-gravity of space?  If someone is more "up to speed" on this than I am (i.e. just about anyone else on this site :)) perhaps you could answer?

(edited because I can't spell for beans...)

Edited by Taun

20 minutes ago, Taun said:

So the new way to measure is to use an electromagnet to "equalize" the force (i.e. the mass I suppose)...

Would this be a constant?... Would the EM force needed be the same at different altitudes? In the micro-gravity of space?  If someone is more "up to speed" on this than I am (i.e. just about anyone else on this site :)) perhaps you could answer?

All SI standards are going to be defined as constants from the 20th of May 2019. It's based specifically on Planck's constant and it's done by linking the energy a photon carries with it's electromagnetic wave. How this is done is kinda cool, instrument makers are going to make a fortune, basically a scale will measure balance weight on one side and the electromagnetic force on the other. This has been successfully done. The upside of this is, is that this force will never change over time.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2018/11/14/18072368/kilogram-kibble-redefine-weight-science

That article is very good. 

https://www.nist.gov/si-redefinition/kilogram-disseminating-new-kilogram

This is from the horse's mouth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Taun said:

Lets screw things up and go back to ounces, pounds, stone's, hundred weight's and tons, I guess that would really annoy the French.hehe. I still measure items in feet and inches , when I say 6 feet 6inches my Grandkids say how long is that, and I'm still 11 stones 4 pounds heavy. Happy Days.