Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Trump really like a dictator?

F3SS

This ignorant description comes up with every other thread and topic. Personally, I think it's ludicrous. Dictators have absolute power over their countries. They also have horrific tenures and I suppose they have to because it gies against human nature to allow one person to rule all others. Violence is the only way to hold power. 

As tumultuous as our political system is, we still have more than enough in our favor to make the rise of an actual dictatorship a less than remote possibility. Our guns certainly help too. About the closest we can get to seeing dictatorial tendencies is a president saying he wishes he could "just do" something. 

It's incredibly small minded to suggest Trump is acting like a dictator. It's also beyond insulting to those who have endured actual dictatorships. Have some perspective and have some respect for those who did.  He threw a reporter out? A simple judge reversed that. Try that in a dictatorship. Then there's the human carnage that accompanies a dictator. Most people couldn't even stomach knowing in detail a fraction of the stories about things dictators have done to people. Yet Trump is basically Hitler right? The video below really drives that point home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This logic makes those who speak of Trump being a dictator seem even more sad and pathetic.  They don't seem to even care how they appear.  They believe that saying it and believing it makes it true.  That qualifies as a form of willful insanity, IMO.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Trump is no dictator. He the worlds biggest fool, acting like an elephant in a porcelain shop.

Every step, every move, every word, he destroys something that took decades to build.

I can hardly wait till this man is off. What a joy it will be. But I refuse to predict his 2020 departure from office. I just hope.

• Like 4

If you want to see a dictator in action … check out the Chinese LOCKING THE INTERNATIONAL PRESS OUT OF A PRESS CONFERENCE.... except for Chinese State TV naturally.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

If you want to see a dictator in action … check out the Chinese LOCKING THE INTERNATIONAL PRESS OUT OF A PRESS CONFERENCE.... except for Chinese State TV naturally.

And that's the lighter side of absolute power.

• Like 3

I think he considers himself more of a Monarch.  "I'm the President, and you're not."  He forgets he works for the people, not the other way around.

• Like 8

So far I'm doing whatever I want and I don't feel threatened.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, F3SS said:

This ignorant description comes up with every other thread and topic. Personally, I think it's ludicrous. Dictators have absolute power over their countries. They also have horrific tenures and I suppose they have to because it gies against human nature to allow one person to rule all others. Violence is the only way to hold power. 

As tumultuous as our political system is, we still have more than enough in our favor to make the rise of an actual dictatorship a less than remote possibility. Our guns certainly help too. About the closest we can get to seeing dictatorial tendencies is a president saying he wishes he could "just do" something. 

It's incredibly small minded to suggest Trump is acting like a dictator. It's also beyond insulting to those who have endured actual dictatorships. Have some perspective and have some respect for those who did.  He threw a reporter out? A simple judge reversed that. Try that in a dictatorship. Then there's the human carnage that accompanies a dictator. Most people couldn't even stomach knowing in detail a fraction of the stories about things dictators have done to people. Yet Trump is basically Hitler right? The video below really drives that point home.

I respect your position however I feel like its kind of dismissive of history. 

There's a classic saying in conspiracy circles : How do you boil a frog? You place it in cold water and slowly turn the heat up so it doesnt realize whats happening to it.

I dont think most serious commentators are saying Trump is a dictator. Historians and security experts are however alerting us that there are serious warning signs that our democracy may be in serious long term trouble. That isnt to be wholly laid at Trump's feet, our nation has been in trouble for a while, but without a moral base or true understanding and respect for our nation and its institutions Trump poses a huge risk in the already established climate.

The following is a wonderful example. Its a great strategy for dealing with the press  as a private citizen (I suppose) but when you see that the same strategy has been put in use when it comes to the checks and balances that hold the POTUS accountable its definitely something all Americans should be worried about

Stahl said she and her boss met with Trump at his office in Trump Tower in Manhattan after the 2016 election in advance of a recorded sit-down interview for "60 Minutes.

"At one point, he started to attack the press," Stahl said. "There were no cameras in there."

"I said, 'You know, this is getting tired. Why are you doing it over and over? It's boring and it's time to end that. You know, you've won ... why do you keep hammering at this?'" Stahl recalled.

"And he said: 'You know why I do it? I do it to discredit you all and demean you all so that when you write negative stories about me no one will believe you.'"

President Trump told Lesley Stahl he bashes press 'to demean you and discredit you so ... no one will believe' negative stories about him

At the end of the day our founding fathers told us to be vigilant. We need to be paying attention.

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, F3SS said:

Ok so I watched the video.....yikes she really has no point aside from proving how angry and dismissive of history she actually is.

She showed a clip of CNN saying Hitler identified as a nationalist........yes the term nationalist has some negative historical connotations thats just the reality. Would Trump fans prefer we all ignored reality in favor of "alternative facts"?

Same with the use of the term "enemy of the people" , should we wholly ignore the historical connotations of that term? No of course we shouldnt. If Trump doesnt want to be compared to dictators he should stop using the terminology of dictators.

Then she goes on to explain all the horrible things Hitler did later in his career as if he accomplished those in the first two years of his reign, while wholly ignoring the many many similarities between Trump and Hitler from early in Hitler's career. Hell Hitler even had his own Mitch McConnell.

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, susieice said:

So far I'm doing whatever I want and I don't feel threatened.

Which I'm assuming is not much of anything.  You could probably do what you do in any country...Russia, North Korea, Canada, France, Iran, and not feel threatened.  What do you do that would make you feel threatened in ANY country?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

Which I'm assuming is not much of anything.  You could probably do what you do in any country...Russia, North Korea, Canada, France, Iran, and not feel threatened.  What do you do that would make you feel threatened in ANY country?

I go about my life with my friends and family. I interact on Facebook and here in UM. I have yet to be made to feel I can't speak my mind about religion or politics. Nor have I been told I can't go somewhere and enjoy doing things that don't glorify my leader. A dictator would probably say something. Least wise, I don't see this happening in N Korea. Or possibly Iran. Don't always agree with the press, but I can say so without watching over my shoulder. No. I don't feel threatened. 

What makes you think he should be called a dictator?

Edited by susieice
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

To me its just as ridiculous as all the screaming and hyperbole that GWB was plotting and planning to turn the U.S. into a Theocracy...lots of so-called "experts" wrote numerous articles about that too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, susieice said:

I go about my life with my friends and family. I interact on Facebook and here in UM. I have yet to be made to feel I can't speak my mind about religion or politics. Nor have I been told I can't go somewhere and enjoy doing things that don't glorify my leader. A dictator would probably say something. Least wise, I don't see this happening in N Korea. Or possibly Iran. Don't always agree with the press, but I can say so without watching over my shoulder. No. I don't feel threatened. 

Ahhh, but here's the thing.  You feel free to speak your mind about religion and politics, which just so happens to be the same views your leader wants you to spew.  Myself, however, gets told by my "leader" everyday that I am a horrible person because I am a Democrat.  How many negative things does he say about Democrats?  My personal beliefs are demonized daily by Trump.  Here is the true difference.  When a Democrat was President, did you feel that you couldn't speak your mind?  Did a Democrat tell you that you were a bad person for your beliefs?  If so, show the source.

• Like 2

Dictatorial Reality TV Show Veteran ?

~

1 minute ago, Agent0range said:

Ahhh, but here's the thing.  You feel free to speak your mind about religion and politics, which just so happens to be the same views your leader wants you to spew.  Myself, however, gets told by my "leader" everyday that I am a horrible person because I am a Democrat.  How many negative things does he say about Democrats?  My personal beliefs are demonized daily by Trump.  Here is the true difference.  When a Democrat was President, did you feel that you couldn't speak your mind?  Did a Democrat tell you that you were a bad person for your beliefs?  If so, show the source.

I'm an Independent. Was a Democrat for 45 years. I'm obviously older. You are professing me a Trump voter. That's you, not me talking. You really don't know.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

Just now, skliss said:

To me its just as ridiculous as all the screaming and hyperbole that GWB was plotting and planning to turn the U.S. into a Theocracy...lots of so-called "experts" wrote numerous articles about that too.

Yet if you look at the longterm damage caused by things like the Patriot Act you can see why people were concerned about the actions being taken.

Its our jobs as vigilant citizens to be aware and discuss these things. Because one day it might not be "ridiculous" one day it might be real at which point we'll be looking back at all the tiny transgressions that we ignored.

BTW you were totally right the other day. Im not a contrarian in my daily life but when it comes to those that hold power I absolutely am.

• Like 1

Just now, susieice said:

I'm an Independent. Was a Democrat for 45 years. I'm obviously older. You are professing me a Trump voter. That's you, not me talking. You really don't know.

Where did I say you were a Trump voter?  I know you probably more than you think.  You said you were in the mountains...I would be surprised if we lived more than an hour apart.  This is a deep red, uneducated part of PA.  People around here vote more to hurt themselves, because they don't know any better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Agent0range said:

Did a Democrat tell you that you were a bad person for your beliefs? 

Have you heard of Barack Obama, Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, Hillary Clinton, Al Sharpton...should I go on? The word "Nazi" is bandied about freely.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

Where did I say you were a Trump voter?  I know you probably more than you think.  You said you were in the mountains...I would be surprised if we lived more than an hour apart.  This is a deep red, uneducated part of PA.  People around here vote more to hurt themselves, because they don't know any better.

My area is pretty moderate Democrat. I've voted both ways. Back in my day, we didn't have all this nonsense that goes on today. That's how it just went also. Now to see who all lied.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

Just now, skliss said:

Have you heard of Barack Obama, Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, Hillary Clinton, Al Sharpton...should I go on? The word "Nazi" is bandied about freely.

They never said Republicans were bad people.  Now, the people that seem to gravitate towards the Republican ticket?  Neo-Nazi groups, racists, anti-semites...they are bad people.  They associate themselves as "far-right" for a reason, and it ain't because they're voting left.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, skliss said:

Do you actually pay attention though? Stay with me its not an insult.

After watching how many people truly believe that Hillary called all Trump supporters depolorable , and how many truly believe that "you didnt build that" was the message of Obamas speech that day I have to ask how many are truly paying attention to whats actually said vs how its spun.

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, susieice said:

My area is pretty moderate Democrat. I've voted both ways. Back in my day, we didn't have all this nonsense that goes on today. That's how it just went also. Now to see who all lied.

Lackawanna County?  Maybe Monroe.

Edited by Agent0range

Just now, Agent0range said:

Lackawanna County?

Not close. Well, a number of miles. Give you a hint. Our DA lost a state run for office because he was considered too moderate.

Edited by susieice

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

Yet if you look at the longterm damage caused by things like the Patriot Act you can see why people were concerned about the actions being taken.

Its our jobs as vigilant citizens to be aware and discuss these things. Because one day it might not be "ridiculous" one day it might be real at which point we'll be looking back at all the tiny transgressions that we ignored.

BTW you were totally right the other day. Im not a contrarian in my daily life but when it comes to those that hold power I absolutely am.

And yet those safeguards worked like they were supposed to. Let me reiterate that even in that example we were never in the slightest danger of any kind of Theocracy, not a hint, not a whiff...nada..

I know, got a few contrarians in my family.....lol

Just now, susieice said:

Not close. 

If you're not NEPA, I don't know what mountains you could be talking about.