Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Trump really like a dictator?

F3SS

1 hour ago, Gromdor said:

You know, we could always work on addressing the root of suicides here in the US as well.  You'd think the NRA would be onboard because it would make their numbers look better.

Edited by Harte
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Harte said:

I dont deny that the economy has turbo charged under Trump. I will stand by my comment that he hasnt turned anything around however. All economic indicators (or at least almost all) had been trending upwards for a very long time before Trump took over.

Watching him work truly is magical though he says stuff and and folks just believe it.

3 hours ago, Harte said:

The article proves you're just hanging desperately onto something that you NEED to be true about Trump.

Harte

No it doesnt. I said it didnt prove anything because no article posted could prove what Trump was thinking in that moment.

As someone with a disability I found it offensive. As someone who wants to believe in Trump you didnt. Its really that simple there is no proving anything either way .

Edited by Farmer77

"Turned around" means lots of things, not all of them having to do with trends in the GDP.

It's GDP growth anyway. The GDP itself has always trended upward over time. Not that it's never gone down, but that it's trend has always been upward.

Besides, when everyday people talk about turning the economy around, they're mainly talking about jobs and economic outlook, not the value of the GDP.

Especially the jobs that Obama said were never coming back. Some of them are now coming back.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

No it doesnt. I said it didnt prove anything because no article posted could prove what Trump was thinking in that moment.

As someone with a disability I found it offensive. As someone who wants to believe in Trump you didnt. Its really that simple there is no proving anything either way .

So you know what he was thinking?

Was he thinking about the reporter when he mock himself in the same way years ago?

Harte

Just now, Harte said:

"Turned around" means lots of things, not all of them having to do with trends in the GDP.

It's GDP growth anyway. The GDP itself has always trended upward over time. Not that it's never gone down, but that it's trend has always been upward.

Besides, when everyday people talk about turning the economy around, they're mainly talking about jobs and economic outlook, not the value of the GDP.

As i said there are many other factors in fact almost all of them from unemployment to new construction etc.

image.thumb.png.37a05d8259fe81dbb347d2c29bcd4c4d.png

4 minutes ago, Harte said:

Especially the jobs that Obama said were never coming back. Some of them are now coming back.

Are they though? Or are they a whole ton of walmart level jobs? (honest question)

7 minutes ago, Harte said:

So you know what he was thinking?

Was he thinking about the reporter when he mock himself in the same way years ago?

Harte

No i dont know what he was thinking. Neither do you. Nor does the author of that article or anyone else .

Thats the problem with being an insensitive or inappropriate *******, its hard to turn it off when its appropriate to do so. 

Back in the 80's when I was a child I used to make the exact same motion when making fun of someone for saying something stupid. As an adult I understand (particularly since spasms like that happen to me when I am not medicated) normal decent humans just dont act like that, ever.

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 1

This episode of John Oliver really does a fantastic job of highlighting Trump's authoritarian tendencies (while also pointing out that his desires have thus far been kept in check by our system)

The relevant part starts around the 14 minute mark.

When  a system instills so much influence in a individual, and allows that influence to control the administration, the judiciary, the armed forces, and the national dialogue, then its systems of checks: political and public, needs to be highly effective.

A President, supported by a populace, untouchable by the courts, can erode the power of political checks. A political system without checks can minimise the power of the public scrutiny.

Doesn't take much more to follow the ancient Roman playbook to dictatorship.

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RAyMO said:

When  a system instills so much influence in a individual, and allows that influence to control the administration, the judiciary, the armed forces, and the national dialogue, then its systems of checks: political and public, needs to be highly effective.

A President, supported by a populace, untouchable by the courts, can erode the power of political checks. A political system without checks can minimise the power of the public scrutiny.

Doesn't take much more to follow the ancient Roman playbook to dictatorship.

Roman dictators were elected, and only for a year and only in a time of war when the senate realised they needed a single voice to control everything in order to survive. And there were  checks and balances, the extremis check was called the Pretorian Guard who topped more than one dictator or emperor when they got too big for their boots.

7 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

As i said there are many other factors in fact almost all of them from unemployment to new construction etc.

image.thumb.png.37a05d8259fe81dbb347d2c29bcd4c4d.png

Are they though? Or are they a whole ton of walmart level jobs? (honest question)

Household incomes have risen for the first time in 5 years or so. I don't know about the jobs, but ALL of them aren't WalMarts.

Regardless, what has happened shows that what Obama era advisors were saying about the "new normal" was just BS.

Harte

7 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

No i dont know what he was thinking. Neither do you. Nor does the author of that article or anyone else .

Thats the problem with being an insensitive or inappropriate *******, its hard to turn it off when its appropriate to do so. 

Back in the 80's when I was a child I used to make the exact same motion when making fun of someone for saying something stupid. As an adult I understand (particularly since spasms like that happen to me when I am not medicated) normal decent humans just dont act like that, ever.

It's a mannerism he's used for decades over and over to convey someone being confronted with being wrong - including himself.

I didn't say it was cool.

But it's not what the press claimed, and that buttresses Trump's claims about fake news.

Harte

28 minutes ago, Harte said:

It's a mannerism he's used for decades over and over to convey someone being confronted with being wrong - including himself.

I didn't say it was cool.

But it's not what the press claimed, and that buttresses Trump's claims about fake news.

Harte

He literally mimicked the man he was talking about. Whether it was out of habit or not he actually did it. Is reporting that "fake news" ?

Edited by Farmer77

2 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Roman dictators were elected, and only for a year and only in a time of war when the senate realised they needed a single voice to control everything in order to survive. And there were  checks and balances, the extremis check was called the Pretorian Guard who topped more than one dictator or emperor when they got too big for their boots.

I was using the term dictatorship in the sense of absolute or near absolute power invested in 1 individual, irrespective of whatever title the person or the senate gave the individual. 

2 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

He literally mimicked the man he was talking about. Whether it was out of habit or not he actually did it. Is reporting that "fake news" ?

Yes, when you freeze frame it at a particular point and show it side-by-side then claim he's mocking a person's disability, which he wasn't.

Unless you think Trump mocked his own disability in the clip at the link I provided, and that of others in the other clips.

I can't imagine the mental gymnastics it takes to maintain this fake view, once one sees Trump repeating this same mannerism when talking about several others - including himself.

Harte

• Like 1

Trump mocked the journalist with disability. 

The only other possibility is that spasms are usual part of Trump's mannerism. If that really is the case, it could be because Trump himself has a disorder or illness that causes it, which was kept secret from the public, or that he is so extremely immature he will act like a child while speaking to press and public. 

I really can't choose which option sounds worse.   

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

when there is a dictator in power, his opposition is thinking only about 1 thing, how to stay alive, obviously it is not the case here, cuz his opposition is freely destroying America, and undermines democratically elected president, none of it would be happening if he really was,  and often looking at what libs do, i wish he was one.

1 hour ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Trump mocked the journalist with disability. 

The only other possibility is that spasms are usual part of Trump's mannerism.

He's done it many times in the past.   

1 hour ago, Myles said:

He's done it many times in the past.   

Really? That's astonishing.

I mean, I barely heard of that Trump person, before he ended up a president of the US. If he was behaving like that, in public, even before the campaign, meaning that you all knew for that behavioral problem of his, and this disgrace with the journalist was not just an isolated incident someone might have overlooked, then people in fact voted for a person they knew has no self-control, basic decency and is incapable of behaving like a sane adult. 

It really looks horrible. Not just Trump, the fact that someone might vote, in the elections for one of the most responsible functions in the world, for a candidate that acts like a child with no upbringing. 

You let a child with no proper upbringing near nuclear codes. Why?   

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just another liberal opinion here you can delete.  President Trump is not a dictator.   He is a CEO.  He is the CEO of a family run business that may have managed billions of dollars in assets but was small in the sense of employees.  The holding company, those folks he might often deal with was around 100 people.  He didn't have a board of directors or shareholders to question him, he made the decisions.  He said once that his style was to get disagreeing subordinates into a room and let them fight it out.  He could observe and never be challenged directly.  I don't think he is accustomed to checks and balances or challenges to his leadership.  It is a tough transition from CEO to President.  I don't think he will ever abandon his style. He does like power and adulation.

To say he is like Hitler is hyperbole.  He is a lot more like J P Morgan or Commodore Vanderbilt than  Hitler.  To say that he is a brilliant man with a plan to do us all good may be hyperbole too.  He is just an alpha dog CEO with his own talents and shortcomings.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Really? That's astonishing.

I mean, I barely heard of that Trump person, before he ended up a president of the US. If he was behaving like that, in public, even before the campaign, meaning that you all knew for that behavioral problem of his, and this disgrace with the journalist was not just an isolated incident someone might have overlooked, then people in fact voted for a person they knew has no self-control, basic decency and is incapable of behaving like a sane adult. 

It really looks horrible. Not just Trump, the fact that someone might vote, in the elections for one of the most responsible functions in the world, for a candidate that acts like a child with no upbringing. 

You let a child with no proper upbringing near nuclear codes. Why?   

So you are saying that someone with a disability should not hold the office?   Aren't you being as bad as you are claiming him to be?

We all knew that he said and did stupid stuff.   We just agreed with some of the things we thought he would push for.   Also Hillary was a bad option.  

18 minutes ago, Myles said:

So you are saying that someone with a disability should not hold the office?   Aren't you being as bad as you are claiming him to be?

We all knew that he said and did stupid stuff.   We just agreed with some of the things we thought he would push for.   Also Hillary was a bad option.  

Are you trying to twist my words into the complete opposite of what I've said? 

Who taught you to do that? It's dishonest and it backfires, every time. 

So, I clearly said but I will rephrase and repeat that if Trump is lacking any manners and compassion, he is morally and socially unfit for any office. If his spasms are caused by a disease, the public should have been let to know he has a condition that may make him seem unacceptably rude and childish. (Not that there is such disease, people can have spasms but these don't come with intention to mock and offend other disabled people.)

How that person even ended up a candidate? Hillary may be this or that, but at least she can shake hands with people without causing the whole world to laugh and question your president's sanity. And I'm pretty certain she wouldn't ignore the WWI commemoration because she was worried for her hair in light rain. Or insist that CIA is wrong about Saudis. And so on... not one day can pass without Trump being the source of horror and amusement for the world.     

Now, please do act like you can't understand it, I'll back tomorrow to repeat the obvious again.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Are you trying to twist my words into the complete opposite of what I've said? 

Who taught you to do that? It's dishonest and it backfires, every time. 

So, I clearly said but I will rephrase and repeat that if Trump is lacking any manners and compassion, he is morally and socially unfit for any office. If his spasms are caused by a disease, the public should have been let to know he has a condition that may make him seem unacceptably rude and childish. (Not that there is such disease, people can have spasms but these don't come with intention to mock and offend other disabled people.)

How that person even ended up a candidate? Hillary may be this or that, but at least she can shake hands with people without causing the whole world to laugh and question your president's sanity. And I'm pretty certain she wouldn't ignore the WWI commemoration because she was worried for her hair in light rain. Or insist that CIA is wrong about Saudis. And so on... not one day can pass without Trump being the source of horror and amusement for the world.     

Now, please do act like you can't understand it, I'll back tomorrow to repeat the obvious again.

Having a bad Monday are we?

It has been made very clear that his actions, while childish, were NOT making fun of the persons disability.  

I'd still much rather have a transparent Trump (even if involuntary) than a conniving Hillary.   I would still agree that the choices in 2016 were the worst ever.  

• Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 4:56 PM, sci-nerd said:

Trump is no dictator. He the worlds biggest fool, acting like an elephant in a porcelain shop.

Every step, every move, every word, he destroys something that took decades to build.

I can hardly wait till this man is off. What a joy it will be. But I refuse to predict his 2020 departure from office. I just hope.

LOLOLOLOL Absolute nonsense. You should stop listening to CNN, Vox and Hollywood.