Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Trump really like a dictator?

F3SS

When we talk about Trump and dictators it is these kinds of transactions that makes folks perk their ears up.

An impeachable offense: White House lawyers reportedly warned Trump he could be removed from office if he forced the DOJ to prosecute his enemies

When President Donald Trump attempted to force the Justice Department behind the scenes to prosecute Hillary Clinton and James Comey, his now-former White House counsel Don McGahn tried to stop him by having lawyers draft a memo arguing that such a move could trigger impeachment, according to a New York Times report. 

McGahn reportedly told the president that he does not have the authority to order prosecutions — such decisions are to be made by prosecutors themselves, based on the facts at hand. While the White House could request specific investigations, doing so in a clear effort to punish his own enemies could be seen as an abuse of power, McGahn reportedly argued. 

The Times found that, in fact, "Mr. Trump’s lawyers also privately asked the Justice Department last year to investigate Mr. Comey" — precisely what McGahn warned against. But department officials reported declined this request. 

• Like 1

I don't think that he's a 'dictator'.

It's just that he doesn't have a goddamned clue how your government works. Which, on it's own, is scary as hell.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

It's just that he doesn't have a goddamned clue how your government works. Which, on it's own, is scary as hell.

He's at least as knowledgeable about how government works as the average citizen is, and probably a lot more so.

Admittedly, the average citizen here is pretty ignorant on the topic.

Because he's not had  political career, he's not (or wasn't) aware of the ins and outs.

But it seems to me that he knows what he's doing now.

Harte

2 hours ago, Harte said:

He's at least as knowledgeable about how government works as the average citizen is, and probably a lot more so.

Admittedly, the average citizen here is pretty ignorant on the topic.

Because he's not had  political career, he's not (or wasn't) aware of the ins and outs.

But it seems to me that he knows what he's doing now.

Harte

Part of the reason I voted for him was that I feel we need less career politicians who know how to work the system. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure that's part of his appeal to those who support him. It's also the ultimate source of much of the criticism of him.

Harte

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Part of the reason I voted for him was that I feel we need less career politicians who know how to work the system. 

I would have liked to have seen candidates who worked they system for the people, not just as president but throughout the government.  We didn't get that.  As I said above, the President is a CEO used to getting what he wants.  We are along for the ride if our desires coincide with his, but he is not doing anything for us.  His history is all about me, me, me.  There was no sudden shift into a public service state of mind.  He is trying to run the country like Trump USA, first for himself and his family.

I suppose from a selfish point of view, as long as you do get what you want , who cares?  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

I would have liked to have seen candidates who worked they system for the people, not just as president but throughout the government.  We didn't get that.  As I said above, the President is a CEO used to getting what he wants.  We are along for the ride if our desires coincide with his, but he is not doing anything for us.  His history is all about me, me, me.  There was no sudden shift into a public service state of mind.  He is trying to run the country like Trump USA, first for himself and his family.

I suppose from a selfish point of view, as long as you do get what you want , who cares?  

Unfortunately that is was most politicians do.  Other than his childish behavior, I've mostly liked what he has done.  The country hasn't fallen apart as many had predicted.  

The fear mongering of the left has taken hold, but I hope that wains.  

On 17/11/2018 at 10:24 AM, F3SS said:

Authoritarians are in full control. So which is it? Is he in full control of everything or not? 

No. Athoritarians want to be in full control. But sometimes a democracy (or what's left of it) holds them in check.

Edited by Clockwork_Spirit
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

No. Athoritarians want to be in full control. But sometimes a democracy (or what's left of it) holds them in check.

True but name a politician or any high ranking official that doesn't want to be in full control. There's probably a few but these are some really big egos we are looking at here. Trump has his decisions blocked all the time like many presidents before him have and if it weren't for our checks and balances we'd have  already seen a dictatorship rise up long ago. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

He has the Obama Blueprint to guide him on what a President is permitted to do and how to contravene Congressional Intent.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/waynecrews/2016/01/10/this-inventory-of-obamas-dozens-of-executive-actions-frames-his-final-state-of-the-union-address/#771915d75f5d

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 8:26 PM, Likely Guy said:

Wait wait wait... Let me guess you're also gonna tell me you voted for Bernie Sanders, and actually believed his horse **** "let have everything for free!" speeches??

4 minutes ago, TomasaurusREKT said:

Wait wait wait... Let me guess you're also gonna tell me you voted for Bernie Sanders, and actually believed his horse **** "let have everything for free!" speeches??

As a Canadian I wouldn't have found it appropriate to have voted in your last election.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The title of this thread, when you see it on the front page, reads "Is Trump really like a dic...." The irresistible response is surely "Yes!" ! :D 

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

As a Canadian I wouldn't have found it appropriate to have voted in your last election.

actually seeing as how much influence the US of A has on everywhere else in the world (and how it believes it can tell other countries what they can and, most often, must not do (such as trade with whichever country is most recently on its list of, what was it, Troikas of Tyranny (nice Russian word there The Donald, a Freudian slip there? :P ) , I'd say there was an arguable case that the whole world should be entitled to have a say in who gets to be Dictator of the World - I mean, er, President of the USA. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

actually seeing as how much influence the US of A has on everywhere else in the world (and how it believes it can tell other countries what they can and, most often, must not do (such as trade with whichever country is most recently on its list of, what was it, Troikas of Tyranny (nice Russian word there The Donald, a Freudian slip there? :P ) , I'd say there was an arguable case that the whole world should be entitled to have a say in who gets to be Dictator of the World - I mean, er, President of the USA. 

Nope.

Just now, Myles said:

Nope.

do you care to elaborate?  

Trump is - at heart - a CEO. 

If that makes him a dictator, then American has thousands of dictators.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

do you care to elaborate?  

The whole world should not have a say in who becomes the president of the USA.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Myles said:

The whole world should not have a say in who becomes the president of the USA.  

You're right  The rest of us should just kick out the whole "leader of the free world" misnomer.

America First? America by itself then.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 11/23/2018 at 12:20 PM, RoofGardener said:

Trump is - at heart - a CEO. 

If that makes him a dictator, then American has thousands of dictators.

The man is an ignoramus by every definition..

I'll say again that he's not a 'dictator', it's just that he doesn't have a damn clue how their government works.

He's lived his life as the "man child" in charge, nothing has changed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Whichever way it goes, America deserves better choices in 2020.

Rant over. <_<

You say that, but my gut is getting this queasy Clinton/Trump 2020 feeling. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/21/2018 at 12:40 PM, Tatetopa said:

Hi Tat, first between us.

I disagree, my man. He has revved up the economy and given millions jobs. He reduced taxes and gave people more money in their paycheck. That right there is plenty.

But further, he has worked hard at keeping undocumented (and often dangerous) immigrants out of the US.  Trump says if they want to come in, do it LEGALLY, and I agree. Remember, Trump's job is working for the interests of the American people, not non working non Americans who vote democrat.

And he is surely at least partly responsible for negotiating a nuclear disarmament deal with North Korea.

Is he bombastic...? Absolutely but that is a small price to pay and is way better than having some silver tongued, highly polished Washington-connected SAME-OLD crap in there.

And the biggest reason why I like what he is doing... He's going after "The Swamp". He may not win but I like his spirit.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :rolleyes:

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

You're right  The rest of us should just kick out the whole "leader of the free world" misnomer.

America First? America by itself then.

As an American, I am all for America First.

I think our president should be too.

Edited by Myles
  • Like 2

On 11/18/2018 at 12:49 PM, toast said:

Wake up and watch the beginning carefully.

Oh, we ARE watching carefully, Toast.  We just aren't focused on the same players that you are.  When I see groups of young people who cover their faces and attack peaceful protesters with chains, bats, pepper spray and other weapons, people whose only "crime" is to speak their opinion, I see Brown Shirts.  What do you see in that same crowd, Toast?  The crowd that is there to support a political candidate, let's say.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2