Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghostly Flashlights!

danydandan

So in another thread, recently closed due to people's inability to follow site rules regarding bickering, the conversation drifted into the area of ghostly flashlights. Specifically regarding a TV show call Expedition Unknown by a dude called Josh Gate's. The 'experiment' (very loose use of the term, it's more like a test) shown in the episode in question has three flashlights beside one another and a member of the team asks the ghost if the Queen Mary to turn on/off these flashlights apparently on command. 

There are a number of issues I have with this experiment and I'll try and outline why I don't feel this is very well controlled nor very well conducted. 

Point One: Biasness, this isn't the most important point but it may and probably does have an impact as to the method used and leads to the reason why I think it was faked. 

This show, like all others on TV, must produce results, in fact it's this shows best interest to ensure positive results from their experiments due to the viewers they attract. These viewers will only watch the show if positive results are shown. The sole purpose of these shows is to maintain and grow viewership numbers, so the show can create as much revenue as possible. This isn't hearsay it's fact, low numbers means no money and your show is getting cancelled. Hence the motivation for possibly faking tests. After all the show was in it's sixth season.

Point Two: Editing, I'm not an expert in audiovisual editing. But one question put forward to me was, how did I know that the footage was edited? 

There is at least five different camera positions shown during this experiment, on multiple different angles and on multiple different perspectives. One on Josh, one on Josh and the flashlights, one on the crew, one the flashlight alone and others. For that reason alone and to ensure compelling TV, I'm quite convinced that the footage is edited to ensure positive results.

Point Three: Methods, the method probably used to ensure results.

The flashlights themselves appear to be twisted on/off types rather than bush button types. These types of flashlights can be set up in such away that you hit a sweet spot and just barely make the circuit. This does result in the flashlight flashing or blinking and then eventually turning off. In order for this to happen the batteries used need to be at a specific charge level. I believe this is the method used to produce the results shown on the show. So by combination of the editing, the potential method used and the motivation for carrying out such an experiment I'm off the opinion this was faked.

Additional information: When looking at the video which I'll post below, I'll also post a few more, you will notice that the flashlights are not isolated as in they are within arms reach of Josh. He may have been able to touch them obviously this isn't obvious when watching but it's certainly a possibility. 

USB flashlights: There are certainly some flashlights that are programmable using proprietary software and a USB connection. Perhaps this could also have been utilised.

The video in question is below. The experiment starts at the 25min mark. The second video is an example of the battery dieing method. Third video is a debunking video. I don't want to get too technical with the explanation as to the method I believe was used, but if people want that I can. I'd prefer to keep it simple.

Edited by danydandan
If it's in the wrong section, apologises.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I'm always sceptical about TV shows having to do with the paranormal. For exactly the reasons you go over in your point 1 above. Also very good points about the flashlights themselves. Definitely not the best "test" to use to offer proof of anything

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, danydandan said:

So in another thread, recently closed due to people's inability to follow site rules regarding bickering, the conversation drifted into the area of ghostly flashlights. Specifically regarding a TV show call Expedition Unknown by a dude called Josh Gate's. The 'experiment' (very loose use of the term, it's more like a test) shown in the episode in question has three flashlights beside one another and a member of the team asks the ghost if the Queen Mary to turn on/off these flashlights apparently on command. 

Yeah Expedition is a hell of a fun show , its like live action Scooby Doo, you just cant take it seriously.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Farmer77 said:

Yeah Expedition is a hell of a fun show , its like live action Scooby Doo, you just cant take it seriously.

I actually like it, I can take my BS hat off and enjoy the pointlessness to it. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jenn8779 said:

I'm always sceptical about TV shows having to do with the paranormal. For exactly the reasons you go over in your point 1 above. Also very good points about the flashlights themselves. Definitely not the best "test" to use to offer proof of anything

At this stage I'd need a video of a ghost walking up to someone and slapping them in the face.

• Haha 2

Classic 'ghost story' directing and editing. The programme director should get an award.

The background music reinforces the spookiness, as does the filming which presents the people themselves as ghost-like. 

The editing is classic Blair Witch stuff. Why do ghosts only 'work' at night? Are they sleeping during the day? Why not properly light the film set or record the programme during daylight. If a ghost can turn on a flashlight they can ring a bell.

Imagine what Hitchcock could do with this genre if he was still alive today. It's all bull**** for the gullible, the uneducated and the credulous. Sorry, but that's what it is.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Thanks 3

Couldn't agree more. I find it hard to accept educated individuals fall for this stuff. Guyver is a quant so I assume he is highly edumacated

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

https://www.livescience.com/4261-shady-science-ghost-hunting.html

Ghost hunting is very false positive heavy.

I like how they use EMF detectors, so they state by using these that ghosts are indeed electromagnetically based, however there is no mechanism to support that. Its contradictory to the laws of thermodynamics. 

What they should use is radar technology like Vega Puls instruments for their experiments.

Edited by danydandan

1 minute ago, danydandan said:

I like how they use EMF detectors, so they state by using these that ghosts are indeed electromagnetically based, however there is no mechanism to support that. Its contradictory the laws of thermodynamics. 

What they should use is radar technology like Vega Puls instruments for their experiments.

The problem with using "ghost hunting" equipment is that it is designed for other purposes, not ghost. Since we have no idea what ghost are made of if anything.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, XenoFish said:

https://www.livescience.com/4261-shady-science-ghost-hunting.html

Ghost hunting is very false positive heavy.

This is a great article. Funny that he talks about ghosts wearing clothes too... since we have a thread going about that

I didn't see the original thread, but my position is that if it is on TV, then any 'positive' effects are rigged.

Take all the "ghosthunter' shows. Ever see an episode where NO 'supernatural' effects are experienced?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

I didn't see the original thread, but my position is that if it is on TV, then any 'positive' effects are rigged.

Take all the "ghosthunter' shows. Ever see an episode where NO 'supernatural' effects are experienced?

I think you have a good point because I do know from investigation that some tv shows are fake,  And that does mean that they all could be.....

But, I do remember watching Ghosthunters and seeing them rule out ghosts on several occasions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Guyver said:

I think you have a good point because I do know from investigation that some tv shows are fake,  And that does mean that they all could be.....

But, I do remember watching Ghosthunters and seeing them rule out ghosts on several occasions.

Really? Not even one exclamation of "Did you feel that?" or something similar? I can't say I watched every single ghosthunter show, but the ones I have watched all had an "OMG-What-was-that?!?" scene

1 minute ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Really? Not even one exclamation of "Did you feel that?" or something similar? I can't say I watched every single ghosthunter show, but the ones I have watched all had an "OMG-What-was-that?!?" scene

Well then, you are much more knowledgeable about it than I am.  There was a time when I watched those shows a bit, but I can’t say I’ve seen every episode.

Do you remember the one where they were at the lighthouse and they filmed that thing on the stairs?  What’s your take on that?

if that’s fake, they sure did a good job on that one.  Pretty good special effects and build up. 

• Like 1

You may have misread my statement. I have only ever watched maybe a dozen of those types of shows (at others homes because I really don't find them entertaining). And all the ones I have seen stunk of unprofessionalism and reeked of sensationalism. I mean, their ratings would tank if they didn't play up the scary-spooky aspect of spectres and hobgoblins, right?

11 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

You may have misread my statement. I have only ever watched maybe a dozen of those types of shows (at others homes because I really don't find them entertaining). And all the ones I have seen stunk of unprofessionalism and reeked of sensationalism. I mean, their ratings would tank if they didn't play up the scary-spooky aspect of spectres and hobgoblins, right?

For sure.

Maybe a good bit of those ghost shows are an artistic representation of what many people in the world are experiencing or have experienced.  

On a related note....at one time I fashioned myself as quite the outdoorsman.  And I do remember getting “spooked” out in the woods on more than one occasion.  I guess I’m saying that getting spooked, and even fear is a real thing.  It could be left over from our ancestors who were hunted and killed in the Pleistocene, by all kinds of dangerous predators.  Things that can kill you and eat you at night are to be feared.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:19 PM, Guyver said:

Maybe a good bit of those ghost shows are an artistic representation of what many people in the world are experiencing or have experienced.  

On a related note....at one time I fashioned myself as quite the outdoorsman.  And I do remember getting “spooked” out in the woods on more than one occasion.  I guess I’m saying that getting spooked, and even fear is a real thing.  It could be left over from our ancestors who were hunted and killed in the Pleistocene, by all kinds of dangerous predators.  Things that can kill you and eat you at night are to be feared.

I hate this. It happened to me once back in the 70s and still puzzles me, but, I was in full panic mode and got out of there and never saw the first reason or cause for it :/ but it damn sure was intense, more so than most real life dangers I have had to deal with. Maybe because you don't know what it is that has you so intensely reactive and fleeing for your life. 

To me that would've been such a deja vu experience, after the number of times I've dreamt falling in elevators, which always felt as though 100% real... Spooky!

12 minutes ago, Rolci said:

To me that would've been such a deja vu experience, after the number of times I've dreamt falling in elevators, which always felt as though 100% real... Spooky!

Falling in elevators is scary. 

I'd be more worried about being in an elevator while it's falling. 

I know that's what you meant,.....but I like taking the p***.

Edited by danydandan

18 minutes ago, Rolci said:

Are you sure you posted this in the right thread? 

6 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Falling in elevators is scary. 

I'd be more worried about being in an elevator while it's falling. 

I know that's what you meant,.....but I like taking the p***.

Well stop it are you're got to be put back on janitor duty.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Well stop it are you're got to be put back on janitor duty.

Never!

Freeeedommm.

• Haha 2