Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK supermarket launches edible insect range

Still Waters

Sainsbury's has become the first UK high street supermarket to stock edible insects.

Barbecue-flavour roasted crickets are being put on sale in 250 stores across the country from Sunday.

The Eat Grub's "smoky BBQ crunchy roasted crickets" are described as "crunchy in texture with a rich smoky flavour".

Packets of the insects will cost £1.50.

The grubs have been on sale from online supermarket Ocado for at least five months, with mixed reviews.

https://news.sky.com/story/sainsburys-launches-150-edible-insect-range-in-uk-supermarket-first-11556476

• Like 2

Not something I'd be over willing to try but I'm sure there are a lot of people who will enjoy them. I see nothing wrong with offering them.

20 hours ago, seanjo said:

Why not...prawns/Shrimp same thing just in the seas.

Would you consider a chipmunk to be an insect, too?

Does this mean Bear Gyrlls doesn't have to travel all over the world for delicious bugs and crap?

I forage and insects, eggs, larvae, earth worms, roots, bark, nettles are part of my daily diet... I do draw the line to reindeer testicles and sheep eyeballs I really have a problem keeping them down, although you only have to suck the sheep eye ball, woodlice are are nice. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

I forage and insects, eggs, larvae, earth worms, roots, bark, nettles are part of my daily diet... I do draw the line to reindeer testicles and sheep eyeballs I really have a problem keeping them down, although you only have to suck the sheep eye ball, woodlice are are nice. 

How often do you take anti-parasitic drugs? 

• Like 1

No thanks im already full had way too many whichetty grubs... and those bull ants were delicious. 

Edited by Avalanche
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, stevewinn said:

How often do you take anti-parasitic drugs? 

I take 3 tablets each day for blood pressure, other than my annual hypertension check up at the Dr's I have been to the doctor 3 times in 30 years... kidney stones twice and a piece of shrapnel removed from my right hand.. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Avalanche said:

No thanks im already full had way too many whichetty grubs... 

They taste like snot...  

• Like 1

Personally, I would rather have natural honey flavoured crockets than Barbecue-flavour roasted crickets, or crickets on their own but the wings and legs get stuck in the throat if you went them on their own. 

23 minutes ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

I take 3 tablets each day for blood pressure, other than my annual hypertension check up at the Dr's I have been to the doctor 3 times in 30 years... kidney stones twice and a piece of shrapnel removed from my right hand.. 

But have you been de-wormed?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

They taste like snot...  

Never tasted them can just imagine

Oh it's do easy to become addicted to your own insecticide these days. :-P. 

On 17/11/2018 at 7:25 PM, Big Jim said:

I'd sooner starve than eat bugs.

I've had snails in France, they are not that bad. Salty and chewy but not bad