Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is this Atlantis ... at the coast of Spain?

Van Gorp

2 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

I'd be fine with that. Has there ever been an imaginary place over which so many gullible people has struggle so hard?

The only imaginary thing, beings in this case, that surpass the sheer imaginary insanity of Atlantis are aliens.

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

I'd be fine with that. Has there ever been an imaginary place over which so many gullible people has struggle so hard?

kmt I was on Atlantis Rising  for more then twenty years where all those Atlantis researchers were on from all the conferences  of Atlantis,

http://atlantis2011.conferences.gr/

20 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

kmt I was on Atlantis Rising  for more then twenty years where all those Atlantis researchers were on from all the conferences  of Atlantis,

http://atlantis2011.conferences.gr/

but most of them I talked with were out of Greece that didn't believe it was out of Europe. the one that convinced me the most was Georgeos Díaz-Montexano that I had a heart  in  :)

http://atlantisng.com/es/acerca-del-autor/

Edited by docyabut2

4 hours ago, keithisco said:

Just on one point... I am not aware of any inland sea north of Cadiz during the Last Glacial Maximum, and there is no evidence for any glaciation at all in the Iberian Peninsula or France for that matter (Alps and Pyrenees notwithstanding due to elevation). Much of the UK was also free of ice according to latest University of Sheffield research.

As for Atlantis? nah just an allegory

Ok so then another explanation for the formation, then.

As for Atlantis, I don't care about it. I was interested in the ruins whatever they want to call them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, docyabut2 said:

but most of them I talked with were out of Greece that didn't believe it was out of Europe. the one that convinced me the most was Georgeos Díaz-Montexano that I had a heart  in  :)

http://atlantisng.com/es/acerca-del-autor/

Plato is very specific about where Atlantis was supposed to be, and Plato is our one and only source about Atlantis. Those who are searching for Atlantis elsewhere than Europe are wasting their time—and everyone else's.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Plato is very specific about where Atlantis was supposed to be, and Plato is our one and only source about Atlantis. Those who are searching for Atlantis elsewhere than Europe are wasting their time—and everyone else's.

I know kmt been studying about Atlantis ever since Edgar Cayce,  I was sixteen then and now 76  to much studying and facts  realizing  Atlantis was Thera     

8 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

I know kmt been studying about Atlantis ever since Edgar Cayce,  I was sixteen then and now 76  to much studying and facts  realizing  Atlantis was Thera     

I'm not convinced it was Thera. It's always been an interesting idea—I used to support it—but I don't realistically see how a man who lived in the fourth century BCE could've known anything about an island that was destroyed in the seventeenth century BCE. A more realistic inspiration for Plato may have been the destruction of the polis of Helike. (373 BCE)

But the bottom line for me is, not for a moment to I believe the Atlantis story was real history.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

I'm not convinced it was Thera. It's always been an interesting idea—I used to support it—but I don't realistically see how a man who lived in the fourth century BCE could've known anything about an island that was destroyed in the seventeenth century BCE. A more realistic inspiration for Plato may have been the destruction of the polis of Helike. (373 BCE)

But the bottom line for me is, not for a moment to I believe the Atlantis story was real history.

oh kmt you can t believe that when in the Plato says it was  the time of  Cheops of Greece

8 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

oh kmt you can t believe that when in the Plato says it was  the time of  Cheops of Greece

Cheops is the Greek version of Khufu, the Egyptian king who built the Great Pyramid. That was around 2500 BCE.

Plato situates the Atlantis saga 9000 year before Solon, so about 12,000+ years before our own time. This is entirely unrealistic. There were no civilizations or kingdoms that far back in time, anywhere.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

Heaven. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was hoping to get more details about the actual tests and archeological research ...

Atlantis or not is not that interesting for me, but if analysis shows time and materials predate Greek/Roman times this should be interesting to many archeologists.

Let alone the giant wall, which could be one of the first mega dykes as we had the delta works in the Lowlands.

Strange that an American bigbrother adept Michael Donnellan is teaming up with Tim Akers' Merlin Burrows, in this very intersting site. The public scientific data to examine seems rather thin to me, concentrated on graphical summary's.  With a press conference in Modena Italy?

The reason Atlantis'es are found in manyfold: it was a maritime power, not only concentrated. Traces of their structures to be found at numerous places, all at the sea coast, in area's sensitive to flooding.  The general term for land washed away by water or regained by nature or man is "Oudland". Oldland. Aldland-is in it's name is only the island of Aldland.

7 hours ago, Lord Harry said:

Motion to ban the creation of any more Atlantis threads.

All in favor?

NO, No, no, Rupert would prefer a world composed solely of Atlantis threads; he recommends detailed discussions on the following topics: Atlantean methods of solid waste removal, the use of spitting as a social ice breaker, the perils of under aged cannibalism and the 30,120 BCE metropolitan (Atlantis) road maintenance schedule.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

Heaven? B)

Edit. Aw. @jaylemurph got there first. Cheers!

Edited by onlookerofmayhem
Beat to the punch.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

I thought the same thing, that Thera was the basis for Atlantis, I now understand different.

I always knew Cayce was hogwash because of what he wrote about my ancestors and how he got all the migrations wrong. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

Heaven. 

—Jaylemurph 

I was going to say Hell. :lol:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Hanslune said:

NO, No, no, Rupert would prefer a world composed solely of Atlantis threads; he recommends detailed discussions on the following topics: Atlantean methods of solid waste removal, the use of spitting as a social ice breaker, the perils of under aged cannibalism and the 30,120 BCE metropolitan (Atlantis) road maintenance schedule.

The world needs Atlantis threads, where else can we get the intoxicating mix of old legends, allegories, misinterpretations, phsycics, LEGO linguistics, pseudoscience, nationalism, Photoshop and just plain old stubbornness ?

Say hi to Rupert.

• Like 4

I wonder how can people forget (on purpose?) one of the most important information contained in Plato's Critias, e.g. about where Atlantis was supposedly located...

Because Plato explicitly says:

[...] the eldest, who was the first king, he named Atlas, and after him the whole island and the ocean were called Atlantic. To his twin brother, who was born after him, and obtained as his lot the extremity of the island towards the Pillars of Heracles, facing the country which is now called the region of Gades in that part of the world, he gave the name which in the Hellenic language is Eumelus, in the language of the country which is named after him, Gadeirus. 

Atlantis faced the region of Gades (which most surely relates to Cadiz region - where an important port and perhaps the oldest city in western Europe exists), perhaps another coincidence? But one way or another, Gades was not Atlantis, according to Plato.

Atlantis, which, as was saying, was an island greater in extent than Libya and Asia (?), and when afterwards sunk by an earthquake, became an impassable barrier of mud to voyagers sailing from hence to any part of the ocean. 

5pLXgvmKv07LPO4Yt3gz3zN0BlUpvuaDTODiWa-d

Dr Rainer Kuehne thinks the "island" of Atlantis simply referred to a region of the southern Spanish coast (Donana National Park) destroyed by a flood between 800 BC and 500 BC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3766863.stm

7 hours ago, Van Gorp said:

I was hoping to get more details about the actual tests and archeological research ...

Atlantis or not is not that interesting for me, but if analysis shows time and materials predate Greek/Roman times this should be interesting to many archeologists.

Let alone the giant wall, which could be one of the first mega dykes as we had the delta works in the Lowlands.

Strange that an American bigbrother adept Michael Donnellan is teaming up with Tim Akers' Merlin Burrows, in this very intersting site. The public scientific data to examine seems rather thin to me, concentrated on graphical summary's.  With a press conference in Modena Italy?

The reason Atlantis'es are found in manyfold: it was a maritime power, not only concentrated. Traces of their structures to be found at numerous places, all at the sea coast, in area's sensitive to flooding.  The general term for land washed away by water or regained by nature or man is "Oudland". Oldland. Aldland-is in it's name is only the island of Aldland.

A civilization that both predates Greek and Roman times, and was probably the primary source of Plato's Atlantis myth (assuming he didn't invent the entire place out of thin air) are the Minoans.

In all honesty, this should have been laid to rest long ago. Minoan civilization flourished between 2000-1400 BC, was the great maritime power of its day, according to legend practiced human sacrifice, and one of its colonies inhabited Santorini which as we all know was destroyed a volcanic eruption circa 1600 BC.

Case closed.

Edited by Lord Harry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Polar said:

Dr Rainer Kuehne thinks the "island" of Atlantis simply referred to a region of the southern Spanish coast (Donana National Park) destroyed by a flood between 800 BC and 500 BC.

You have to go into the field and dig, a satellite image can be anything.

That's why all these jackoffs think Carolina Bays are meteor strikes. :yes:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hanslune said:

These fools would cut off their own supply of the sweet, sweet milk of the woo teat.

Harte

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Piney said:

You have to go into the field and dig, a satellite image can be anything.

That's why all these jackoffs think Carolina Bays are meteor strikes. :yes:

I think they are digging in Doñana. Or they have.

Harte

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Harte said:

I think they are digging in Doñana. Or they have.

They found Iberian artifacts with Phoenician influences. Because it's right on the Mica Belt.

But that doesn't date to Atlantis

• Like 3

On 11/17/2018 at 10:11 PM, kmt_sesh said:

If an Egyptian priest was a source of a story about an ancient invasion from "beyond the outer limits of geographic places that were known at that time" (i.e. an ancient Egyptian equivalent to the generic meaning for the Greek phrase "outside the pillars of Heracles"), then the boundaries of ancient Egypt's  vocabulary probably looked like the following map.  

Thus Plato's Atlantis should be somewhere "outside" the Egyptian geographic names on this map, but also somewhat near Gadeira/Cadiz (which the Critias character specifically named). 

Temehu-location.gif

Edited by atalante

1 hour ago, atalante said:

If an Egyptian priest was a source of a story about an ancient invasion from "beyond the outer limits of geographic places that were known at that time" (i.e. an ancient Egyptian equivalent to the generic meaning for the Greek phrase "outside the pillars of Heracles"), then the boundaries of ancient Egypt's  vocabulary probably looked like the following map.  

Thus Plato's Atlantis should be somewhere "outside" the Egyptian geographic names on this map, but also somewhat near Gadeira/Cadiz (which the Critias character specifically named). 

Temehu-location.gif

Not just "somewhat near" since Plato says Atlantis, with his detailed size, is near enough to Gades/Cadiz in order to have made entrance/exit to and from the Mediterranean impossible. There is no way to interpret that as if Plato is talking about the middle of the Atlantic, the Americas or Morocco which would be a gross misrepresentation of what Plato said. 

cormac

• Like 1

Didn't Plato also say he made it all up?

I think we did the "Atlantis = Cadiz" idea to death a year or so ago....

• Like 2

• The topic was locked