Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is this Atlantis ... at the coast of Spain?

Van Gorp

13 hours ago, Harte said:

It's perfectly fine to sound like a know it all if you do, in fact, know it all.

Harte

A dedication to Jay and all those other know it all. But still, no one else knows how to do fried chicken like you do. You are the superlative of all the other know it all.

12 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Pettytalk

Well fortunately the last couple of days on the project have been kickass and given my vanity my disappointment goes unnoticed. By the way Petty that's not talk why is it that when you say dear to me that I envision your desire to firmly hug my neck? :lol:

jmccr8

It's more like your facetious "Hi". But you should envision lower, and much more than a firm hug....a vice-grip..

5 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

It's more like your facetious "Hi". But you should envision lower, and much more than a firm hug....a vice-grip..

Hi Pettytalk

:lol:

Around here we have a saying,"don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"

I say hi to address the person I am speaking to.

jmccr8

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

A dedication to Jay and all those other know it all.

A dedication to someone who is just making it up because he knows nothing.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

Except that's NOT what it says as it places EUMELUS' PORTION east of Gadeira. You're reinterpreting it to mean what you 'want' it to mean. 

cormac

cormac,  

"the island" in 114a = "the island" in 114b    Plato wrote it that way because Plato meant it that way.

According to Plato, Eumelus's allotment in 114b was a specific "part of the island".   Plato expected his readers to understand it that way. 

You can see Eumelus's allotment in the following map - a small part inside the 3000 stade by 2000 stade blue rectangle. 

Nice try though; perhaps you should review sentence structure and parallelism.

Great Plain 3000 stades by 2000 stades

mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.atlantisbolivia.org%2Fplaincomparison_files%2Fpeninsulaplain.jpg&t=1566485628&ymreqid=3453cafd-c5bc-1b5b-2c2c-680007010000&sig=zM8Kfk3B5yJwujulSwOh4Q--~C

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atalante said:

cormac,  

"the island" in 114a = "the island" in 114b    Plato wrote it that way because Plato meant it that way.

According to Plato, Eumelus's allotment in 114b was a specific "part of the island".   Plato expected his readers to understand it that way. 

You can see Eumelus's allotment in the following map - a small part inside the 3000 stade by 2000 stade blue rectangle. 

Nice try though; perhaps you should review sentence structure and parallelism.

Great Plain 3000 stades by 2000 stades

mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.atlantisbolivia.org%2Fplaincomparison_files%2Fpeninsulaplain.jpg&t=1566485628&ymreqid=3453cafd-c5bc-1b5b-2c2c-680007010000&sig=zM8Kfk3B5yJwujulSwOh4Q--~C

Critias: 

The whole country was said by him to be very lofty and precipitous on the side

of the sea, but the country immediately about and surrounding the city

was a level plain, itself surrounded by mountains which descended

towards the sea; it was smooth and even, and of an oblong shape,

extending in one direction three thousand stadia, but across the

centre inland it was two thousand stadia.

Nice try. Next!

cormac

• Like 2

Yet, before proceeding further in the narrative, I ought to warn you, that you must not be surprised if you should perhaps hear Hellenic names given to foreigners. I will tell you the reason of this: Solon, who was intending to use the tale for his poem, enquired into the meaning of the names, and found that the early Egyptians in writing them down had translated them into their own language, and he recovered the meaning of the several names and when copying them out again translated them into our language. My great-grandfather, Dropides, had the original writing, which is still in my possession, and was carefully studied by me when I was a child. Therefore if you hear names such as are used in this country, you must not be surprised, for I have told how they came to be introduced. The tale, which was of great length, began as follows

http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/critias.html

Egyptians in writing them down had translated them into their own language

So what was the Atlantis`s language that long ago ?

3 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Yet, before proceeding further in the narrative, I ought to warn you, that you must not be surprised if you should perhaps hear Hellenic names given to foreigners. I will tell you the reason of this: Solon, who was intending to use the tale for his poem, enquired into the meaning of the names, and found that the early Egyptians in writing them down had translated them into their own language, and he recovered the meaning of the several names and when copying them out again translated them into our language. My great-grandfather, Dropides, had the original writing, which is still in my possession, and was carefully studied by me when I was a child. Therefore if you hear names such as are used in this country, you must not be surprised, for I have told how they came to be introduced. The tale, which was of great length, began as follows

http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/critias.html

Egyptians in writing them down had translated them into their own language

Egyptians didn’t write any such thing down. 

cormac

• Like 4

Docyabut2 said

Esperanto or more properly proto-pre-Esperanto

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Docyabut2 said

Esperanto or more properly proto-pre-Esperanto

Wrong!!! :angry:

Proto-Algonquian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Wrong!!! :angry:

Proto-Algonquian

Hardly, that was spoken by the pets

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Hardly, that was spoken by the pets

OOOPS!!! :unsure2:

Sorry! Didn't see you there. Please don't release the voles. :cry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I suspect the Atlantians had a passing familiarity with Old High Houndish — or at least some western dialects in the Houndish sprachtbund.

“Atlantidiot” is actually a calque of a OHH term for a term I can’t repeat in a family-friendly environment. Its Houndish roots are what make it so devilishly hard to pronounce correctly. You really need pendulous ears and expressive eyebrows to use it. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

OOOPS!!! :unsure2:

Sorry! Didn't see you there. Please don't release the voles. :cry:

They are quite agitated. Hmmmm I'll have to let them eat a Japanese neighborhood - no one will notice

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

“Atlantidiot” is actually a calque of a OHH term for a term I can’t repeat in a family-friendly environment. Its Houndish roots are what make it so devilishly hard to pronounce correctly. You really need pendulous ears and expressive eyebrows to use it. 

AT-LAN-TID-IOT

ATL-ANT-EE-DEE-OT

ATLA-NEE-DEE........Oh I give up. <_<

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

I suspect the Atlantians had a passing familiarity with Old High Houndish — or at least some western dialects in the Houndish sprachtbund.

“Atlantidiot” is actually a claque of a OHH term for a term I can’t repeat in a family-friendly environment. Its Houndish roots are what make it so devilishly hard to pronounce correctly. You really need pendulous ears and expressive eyebrows to use it. 

—Jaylemurph 

There is no need in repeating childish insults by referring to those who place some credibility of reality for Plato's Atlantis as idiots. Is this what academics do, childishly ridicule those that have different ideas, and speculate if in any way there may be some truth in a seeing myth?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

There is no need in repeating childish insults by referring to those who place some credibility of reality for Plato's Atlantis as idiots. Is this what academics do, childishly ridicule those that have different ideas, and speculate if in any way there may be some truth in a seeing myth?

I think the ridicule comes from people who have proven beyond any reasonable doubt that Atlantis did not exist and never did replying to people who cannot move past the facts. its not Greenland, its not Spain, its not anywhere at all and never was. It most certainly is not America (in the present, future or past). So when all is said and done you cannot reason with some people and hence the Ridicule.

There is no reincarnation that has been proven, so when the dust of the debate settles the "academics" (whom have PROVEN its was just a story) can only sit back with head in hand and be flabbergasted by the ongoing trash that some spew, to prove nothing as there is nothing to prove.   

• Like 4

On 8/20/2019 at 3:47 PM, docyabut2 said:

also to me the Greeks just made up their names in the translations of the Egyptians of Atlantis, but it is in Gades...

075ca0b96c99f65be5f507b20fc53eb0.jpg

Juergen Hepke has provided a potential map of Tartessos-Atlantis ca 1300 BC (i.e. shortly before a 1200 BC tsunami wiped out this society that was headquartered near modern day Puerto Santa Maria, and had led the cultures in southern Spain during 1500-1300 BC.

Thar226.gif

An actual map of the modern region, with the features of Tartessus-Atlantis superimposed, is below:
mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tolos.de%2Fpuerto52.gif&t=1566565256&ymreqid=3453cafd-c5bc-1b5b-2cbf-db00c1010000&sig=xPq7i.7tyX0RdAKJ0JhiIA--~C

Edited by atalante
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, atalante said:

Juergen Hepke has provided a potential map of Tartessos-Atlantis ca 1300 BC (i.e. shortly before a 1200 BC tsunami wiped out this society that was headquartered near modern day Puerto Santa Maria, and had led the cultures in southern Spain during 1500-1300 BC.

Thar226.gif

An actual map of the modern region, with the features of Tartessus-Atlantis superimposed, is below:
mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tolos.de%2Fpuerto52.gif&t=1566565256&ymreqid=3453cafd-c5bc-1b5b-2cbf-db00c1010000&sig=xPq7i.7tyX0RdAKJ0JhiIA--~C

What makes me think it was a language in Gades

the language in the  plaques was a Tartessos language  

The engraved slate plaques of Iberia are some of the most intriguing representational

art of prehistoric Europe. Dated to the Late Neolithic and Copper Age (3500-3000 BC) and

found in burials of southern Portugal and Spain,

http://www.patrimoniocultural.gov.pt/media/uploads/revistaportuguesadearqueologia/5_2/5.pdf

Edited by docyabut2

8 hours ago, atalante said:

Thar226.gif

Putting in an island that ain't there is what passes for academic research these days ? :no:

https://earth.google.com/web/@36.549584,-6.18809768,6.88601982a,19195.42820065d,35y,-0h,0t,0r

• Thanks 3

21 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

Well the story was written in Greece, by a Greek, for a Greek audience...... :whistle:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, docyabut2 said:

a3b890033b7f1e3c9b52305d36b83c17--egyptian-mythology-egyptian-art.jpgthere was a Egyptian  owl god just like in ancient Spain

There were Native American and Asian owl gods and spirits. You can't use "mass comparison". It doesn't work. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

a3b890033b7f1e3c9b52305d36b83c17--egyptian-mythology-egyptian-art.jpgthere was a Egyptian  owl god just like in ancient Spain

That's not an owl, that's a HAWK. Horus, to be more precise. 

cormac

• Like 1

Just now, Piney said:

There were Native American and Asian owl gods and spirits. You can't use "mass comparison". It doesn't work

Especially when it's not an owl. :D

cormac

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• The topic was locked