Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is this Atlantis ... at the coast of Spain?

Van Gorp

35 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

They agree on only one thing - that orthodoxy is wrong beyond that its a knife fight with poisoned blades.

We could only wish.......

• Like 1

9 hours ago, atalante said:

Pettytalk,
Plato did not go wobbly in the passage you cited.

docyabut2 has already linked to an image showing that a "1500-1300 BC culture" for bronze age Southwestern Spain and southern Portugal is named for a small peninsula:  the Atalaia peninsula. 

The Atalaia coastal region shed much of of its soil (into the sea) in three regional tsunami's:  2000 BC; 1600 BC; and 1200 BC.

When the Phoenicians arrived in this region, by sea ca. 1100-900 BC, the Phoenicians reported that that the sea farther west than Gadeira/Gades/Cadiz became too shallow to sail farther west.

Which, assuming you've actually reported what the Phoenicians claimed accurately, would have been a lie on their part as the entrance to/exit from the Mediterranean (as claimed by Plato) WAS NOT blocked nor was the area further westward from Cadiz. At most the only area that 'may' have been blocked was the exit of the Quadalquivir River into the Gulf of Tartessos. That WOULD NOT affect the PoH/SoG.

cormac

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cormac mac airt said:

Which, assuming you've actually reported what the Phoenicians claimed accurately, would have been a lie on their part as the entrance to/exit from the Mediterranean (as claimed by Plato) WAS NOT blocked nor was the area further westward from Cadiz. At most the only area that 'may' have been blocked was the exit of the Quadalquivir River into the Gulf of Tartessos. That WOULD NOT affect the PoH/SoG.

It should also be pointed out that Tavira, Portugal was ALSO a Phoenician settlement, dating to at least the 8th Century BC. 

cormac

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Piney said:

And a Edgar Cayce  A.R.E. Atlantidiot who insists it's in Florida.....

......oops. Sorry, I chased them all away. :unsure2:

Edgar Cayce  A.R.E. is not the Plato`s Atlantis. he gave in visions of a book written way before him

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Dweller_on_Two_Planets

Edited by docyabut2

5 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Edgar Cayce  A.R.E. is not the Plato`s Atlantis

A.R.E is a group of con artists and medical frauds whose "Atlantis research?" is a flow of racist, revisionist history bull chips. :o

I am not half Atlantean and half Hebrew. :angry:

I'm 1/4 Denisovan, 1/4 Siberian and half some unidentified North Yorkshire hominid. :yes:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Edgar Cayce  A.R.E. is not the Plato`s Atlantis

Tartessos isn’t Plato’s Atlantis either but that hasn’t stopped anyone from claiming otherwise. 

cormac

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Piney said:

I'm 1/4 Denisovan, 1/4 Siberian and half some unidentified North Yorkshire hominid. :yes:

Oh, you mean you're from Joisey!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Hanslune said:

They agree on only one thing - that orthodoxy is wrong beyond that its a knife fight with poisoned blades.

We also agree that you and a couple of your buddies are not worth cutting up much; too dense to feel the blade cutting.

It should also be pointed out that Tavira, Portugal was ALSO a Phoenician settlement, dating to at least the 8th Century BC. 

The list of Phoenician settlements also includes Figueira da Foz and Lisbon, Portugal, BOTH of which are on the western Portuguese coast and contradicts the lie that the western areas beyond Cadiz were unnavigable. 

cormac

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

Which, assuming you've actually reported what the Phoenicians claimed accurately, would have been a lie on their part as the entrance to/exit from the Mediterranean (as claimed by Plato) WAS NOT blocked nor was the area further westward from Cadiz. At most the only area that 'may' have been blocked was the exit of the Quadalquivir River into the Gulf of Tartessos. That WOULD NOT affect the cormac

Phoenicians always were hugging the coast lines  so it could have been Tartessos  

quit denying it  that  may be Tartessos  was written in the bible

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartessos

Simcha Jacobovici, involved in the production of a documentary on Freund's work for the National Geographic Channel, stated that the biblical Tarshish (which he believes is the same as Tartessos) was Atlantis,

44 minutes ago, Piney said:

A.R.E is a group of con artists and medical frauds whose "Atlantis research?" is a flow of racist, revisionist history bull chips. :o

I am not half Atlantean and half Hebrew. :angry:

More like a full breed yapping Yorkie, but you do present yourself as well groomed!

Yorkshire-Terrier-2.1.jpg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

More like a full breed yapping Yorkie, but you do present yourself as well groomed!

Your only saying that because you a 1/2 inch taller than me. :yes:

31 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Oh, you mean you're from Joisey!

Down Jeerzy

Joisey is another state above us. :tu: 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

The list of Phoenician settlements also includes Figueira da Foz and Lisbon, Portugal, BOTH of which are on the western Portuguese coast and contradicts the lie that the western areas beyond Cadiz were unnavigable. 

cormac

Just stop, as you don't understand Plato. Go and read Plato at least 100 times over, and then come back and give it a whirl again, as you currently have mud all over your face.

8 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

Yorkshire-Terrier-2.1.jpg

Edgar Cayce was half right :)

• Haha 1

In any event, the original Pillars of Heracles were the promontories of Taenarum and Maleas atop which were temple of Apollo and Poseidon at the southern end of the Peloponnese. 

1 minute ago, docyabut2 said:

Edgar Cayce was half right :)

:lol:

1 hour ago, docyabut2 said:

Phoenicians always were hugging the coast lines  so it could have been Tartessos  

quit denying it  that  may be Tartessos  was written in the bible

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartessos

Simcha Jacobovici, involved in the production of a documentary on Freund's work for the National Geographic Channel, stated that the biblical Tarshish (which he believes is the same as Tartessos) was Atlantis,

Citing an incompetent researcher doesn't make it true. 

cormac

57 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

Just stop, as you don't understand Plato. Go and read Plato at least 100 times over, and then come back and give it a whirl again, as you currently have mud all over your face.

:sleepy:  SSDD. 

cormac

cormac

Wasn't the culture contemporary with the Solon anyway? 

42 minutes ago, ShadowSot said:

Wasn't the culture contemporary with the Solon anyway? 

A culture, such as Tartessos, being contemporary to Solon makes it entirely irrelevant to “when” Plato placed Atlantis,  “where” Plato placed it and “what” Plato described it as which was an island and NOT the mainland. 

Jacobovici’s attempt to reinterpret Plato’s Atlantis makes him no more reliable than any  other failed “researcher”. 

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt

18 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

A culture, such as Tartessos, being contemporary to Solon makes it entirely irrelevant to “when” Plato placed Atlantis,  “where” Plato placed it and “what” Plato described it as which was an island and NOT the mainland. 

Jacobovici’s attempt to reinterpret Plato’s Atlantis makes him no more reliable than any  other failed “researcher”. 

cormac

OH sure. 

My point is that even with the stated caveats Tartessos was still active and trading while according to the story Atlantis is long destroyed. 

I mean, some of the other proposed identified locations for Atlantis you can see it. 

But Tartessos fits none of them, and wasn't even destroyed at the time. 

2 hours ago, ShadowSot said:

OH sure. 

My point is that even with the stated caveats Tartessos was still active and trading while according to the story Atlantis is long destroyed. 

I mean, some of the other proposed identified locations for Atlantis you can see it. 

But Tartessos fits none of them, and wasn't even destroyed at the time. 

Unfortunately people like docyabut2 and atalante don’t care about whether Tartessos was active or not they just want a place to pin the name Atlantis on. 

cormac

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

:sleepy:  SSDD. 

cormac

Yes Cormac, you are not Plato reincarnated.... So just stop it.... hahahahah!!!!

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Piney said:

Your only saying that because you a 1/2 inch taller than me. :yes:

You are making me too tall, make that a 1/4 inch.

Still, you are much better looking than what I can picture Jaylemurph to look like

They say that dogs resemble their owners. And if Jay is a dog owner, this is how I picture his dog.

Jay.jpg

6 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

cormac

I hate to agree here, but I have to, since it's closer to the truth.

• The topic was locked