Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is this Atlantis ... at the coast of Spain?

Van Gorp

Seriously, what do you think we’re going to get the 6,419th time we didn’t get the first 6,418 times?

—Jaylemurph 

Edited by jaylemurph
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

To his twin brother, who was born after him, and obtained as his lot the extremity of the island towards the Pillars of Heracles, facing the country which is now called the region of Gades in that part of the world,

http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/critias.html

Again 'facing' Gades doesn't make it Gades. 

cormac

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

trying to explained that the country gades  was not connected  to the other islands in Plato`s time     map-of-gades.jpg 

Gades was NEVER a country. Since the start of the Holocene it's barely an island and before that was part of the mainland. 

cormac

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

Seriously, what do you think we’re going to get the 6,419th time we didn’t get the first 6,418 times?

—Jaylemurph 

If I see a picture of the Ham's Heracles one more friggin time.........

dd4.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

map-of-gades.jpg

I remember reading, ancient  Gades was a small island, thats where a  shoal filled it in and connected it to the lower island . 

as it all fill in making  it all a peninsula

I wish I could find that article again :)  

5 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

map-of-gades.jpg

I remember reading, ancient  Gades was a small island, thats where a  shoal filled it in and connected it to the lower island . 

as it all fill in making  it all a peninsula

I wish I could find that article again :)  

Emphasis on the word SMALL. 

cormac

1 hour ago, cormac mac airt said:

Gades was NEVER a country. Since the start of the Holocene it's barely an island and before that was part of the mainland. 

cormac

Gades was a small  island  facing Atlantis !  at the time of Solon and  Plato.!  at the time  it was all filled in.

Edited by docyabut2

4 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Gades was a small  island  facing Atlantis !  at the time of Solon and  Plato.!

No, it wasn't at the time of Solon and Plato. Plato specifically placed it some 9000 years before Solon. Add to that the fact that Cadiz isn't even the size Plato gives the Atlantean capital either. You pretty much have to mangle Plato to get the Atlantis that you want. 

cormac

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

No, it wasn't at the time of Solon and Plato. Plato specifically placed it some 9000 years before Solon. Add to that the fact that Cadiz isn't even the size Plato gives the Atlantean capital either. You pretty much have to mangle Plato to get the Atlantis that you want. 

cormac

gee cormac Atlantis was not 9000 years before Solon")  

Edited by docyabut2

3 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

gee cormac Atlantis was not 9000 years before Solon")

Tell that to Plato, he wrote it. 

cormac

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, docyabut2 said:

To his twin brother, who was born after him, and obtained as his lot the extremity of the island towards the Pillars of Heracles, facing the country which is now called the region of Gades in that part of the world,

So, Atlantis faced itself.

That shows good character.

Harte

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Tell that to Plato, he wrote it. 

cormac

it was at the time of King Cecrops 1 of Athens1574 bc

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/cparada/GML/MythicalChronology.html

This I infer because Solon said that the priests in their narrative of that war mentioned most of the names which are recorded prior to the time of Theseus, such as Cecrops, and Erechtheus, and Erichthonius, and Erysichthon,

14 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

it was at the time of King Cecrops 1 of Athens1574 bc

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/cparada/GML/MythicalChronology.html

This I infer because Solon said that the priests in their narrative of that war mentioned most of the names which are recorded prior to the time of Theseus, such as Cecrops, and Erechtheus, and Erichthonius, and Erysichthon,

Would you care to make up another timeline? 

Let me begin by observing first of all, that nine thousand was the

sum of years which had elapsed since the war which was said to have

taken place between those who dwelt outside the Pillars of Heracles

and all who dwelt within them; this war I am going to describe.      (Critias)

and 

Many great deluges have taken place during the nine thousand years, for

that is the number of years which have elapsed since the time of which

I am speaking;           (Critias)

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt

12 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Would you care to make up another timeline? 

and 

cormac

Now the city in those days was arranged on this wise. In the first place the Acropolis was not as now. For the fact is that a single night of excessive rain washed away the earth and laid bare the rock; at the same time there were earthquakes, and then occurred the extraordinary inundation, which was the third before the great destruction of Deucalion

it was a flood that also  hit  Athens at the same time of Atlantis. I tnink it was a tusmimi that hit Atlantis  and a cyclone that hit Athens.    

7 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Now the city in those days was arranged on this wise. In the first place the Acropolis was not as now. For the fact is that a single night of excessive rain washed away the earth and laid bare the rock; at the same time there were earthquakes, and then occurred the extraordinary inundation, which was the third before the great destruction of Deucalion

it was a flood that also  hit  Athens at the same time of Atlantis. I tnink it was a tusmimi that hit Atlantis  and a cyclone that hit Athens.    

And yet you're ignoring "WHEN" Plato said it occurred. So you're still making it up as you go along. 

cormac

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

And yet you're ignoring "WHEN" Plato said it occurred. So you're still making it up as you go along. 

cormac

gee Plato in the story  said at the time of Atlantis was at  the time in Athens  

21 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

it was a flood that also  hit  Athens at the same time of Atlantis. I tnink it was a tusmimi that hit Atlantis 

Tusmimi's (also known as tsunami's :whistle:) doesn't sink land. They affect coastal areas and the water recedes fairly quickly. They can be devastating, but they can't sink a major landmass. 

21 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

and a cyclone that hit Athens.    

Greece doesn't get cyclones. 

• Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

gee Plato in the story  said at the time of Atlantis was at  the time in Athens  

That ought to be your first clue that he never intended for the story to be taken as real. Apparently you don’t care what Plato said as long as it doesn’t interfere with what YOU want to be real. 

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

That ought to be your first clue that he never intended for the story to be taken as real. Apparently you don’t care what Plato said as long as it doesn’t interfere with what YOU want to be real. 

cormac

That pretty much sums up all Atlantis believers. :tu:

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

That pretty much sums up all Atlantis believers. :tu:

The vast majority of conspiracy theorists, paranormal believers, religious people..I could go on.:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, docyabut2 said:

its all in making out the tale of  Plato `s Atlantis is true :)

Look, you've been peddling the same garbage over and over again for almost a year. Keep the receipt, I'm not buying any of it. ANY....OF....IT.

• The topic was locked