Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is this Atlantis ... at the coast of Spain?

Van Gorp

7 minutes ago, Swede said:

Based upon all available archaeological, historical, hydrological, temporal, linguistic, and cultural data, this would appear to be the more rational understanding.

Genetic and geological too..... 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Swede said:

Based upon all available archaeological, historical, hydrological, temporal, linguistic, and cultural data, this would appear to be the more rational understanding.

Edit: Sentence structure.

Yes, yes, yes, but please don't feed my doubts, as I'm on an affirmative diet.

• Haha 1

The curious case of Benjamin Buttom.

YOUNG SOCRATES: What is it?
STRANGER: The life of all animals first came to a standstill, and the mortal
nature ceased to be or look older, and was then reversed and grew young and
delicate; the white locks of the aged darkened again, and the cheeks the bearded
man became smooth, and recovered their former bloom; the bodies of youths
in their prime grew softer and smaller, continually by day and night returning
and becoming assimilated to the nature of a newly-born child in mind as well as
body; in the succeeding stage they wasted away and wholly disappeared. And
the bodies of those who died by violence at that time quickly passed through
the like changes, and in a few days were no more seen.

From Plato's Statesman.

Keeping in mind that we are searching for the clue as to what Plato intended for us to understand by associating Evenor with the term, earth-born. And that is why I'm bringing the Statesman dialogue into the search for the "supposed lost" continent of Atlantis, as it's imperative that we utilize and look through all of Plato's work, and not just use the two main dialogues containing the story of Atlantis directly, the Timaeus and the Critias.

Critias dialogue:

Looking towards the sea, but in the centre
of the whole island, there was a plain which is said to have been the fairest of
all plains and very fertile. Near the plain again, and also in the centre of the
island at a distance of about fifty stadia, there was a mountain not very high
on any side. In this mountain there dwelt one of the earth-born primeval men
of that country, whose name was Evenor,

Statesman dialogue:

YOUNG SOCRATES: Then how, Stranger, were the animals created in
those days; and in what way were they begotten of one another?
STRANGER: It is evident, Socrates, that there was no such thing in the then
order of nature as the procreation of animals from one another; the earth-born
race
, of which we hear in story, was the one which existed in those days–they
rose again from the ground; and of this tradition, which is now-a-days often
unduly discredited
, our ancestors, who were nearest in point of time to the end
of the last period and came into being at the beginning of this, are to us the
heralds. And mark how consistent the sequel of the tale is; after the return of
age to youth, follows the return of the dead, who are lying in the earth, to life;
simultaneously with the reversal of the world the wheel of their generation has
been turned back, and they are put together and rise and live in the opposite
order, unless God has carried any of them away to some other lot. According
to this tradition they of necessity sprang from the earth and have the name of
earth-born,
and so the above legend clings to them.

Isaiah 26:

18We were pregnant, we writhed in pain, we gave birth to wind. We have brought no salvation to the earth, nor brought any life into the world. 19Your dead will live; their bodies will rise. Awake and sing, you who dwell in the dust! For your dew is like the dew of the morning, and the earth will bring forth her dead.

On 5/25/2019 at 5:05 PM, Harte said:

If you don't trust Jowett (and I don't see any praise for him from me in that post,) take it up with his relative Piney.

It's very clear what Plato wrote there.

Harte

Harte,

I was describing forensic analysis of a plot detail that exists in most (if not all) translations of the Atlantis dialogues at Crit 108e.  

So your post is confirming my point.  It IS what Plato intended to be in the plot of his Atlantis dialogues.

i.e. Crit 108e contains a non sequitur, when compared to the other parts of the Timaeus and Critias dialogues.
Edited by atalante

Maybe Plato will let you rewrite it for him.

Harte

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Harte said:

I think after Cayce Ben Jowett combusted in his grave.

Now Bronte Country is burning...........

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harte said:

Harte

Many Atlantis believers think that Plato's story is absolutely true....... except where it isn't. :wacko:

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Harte said:

Harte

I will not!

Just to make the point clear, so that I do not appear to be preaching, I'm Plato. Or rather the soul who was once in the body of one known as Plato. If I could, or rather, when I'm able to remember more about my past life as Plato, I will not only edit what I had already written, but I will complete what I had left undone, especially the one dialogue I stopped, dead cold, in the middle of a sentence. But I'm afraid that I cannot make any headway without Kenemet, or Jaylemurph assisting me with the writing, and learning my old classical Greek, part of which, like Dante, another of my incarnations, a language that I helped invent, with the help of Socrates, of course.

Therefore I cannot do without their help until the effects of the water of forgetfulness wear complete off, and I can remember clearly what I knew before, which is, almost, everything. As it stands, I have forgotten quite a bit, and I have only strong emotional feelings about my past, and with which I was able to resolve just a few of the clues I left embedded in my work. All along, knowing that I would reincarnate again at some point, and also knowing that my work had been preserved by posterity, being that great, as it was divinely inspired by Socrates, and that I was told that I would find most of it still extant when my soul showed up again in the physical world, a prisoner again, in the cave of shadows, as my great divine master, Socrates, so brilliantly put it.

Actually I was hoping to bump into Socrates, but I would not know him even if I bumped into him. Because, like me, for his next incarnation, he told me back then, that he could be just another petty talker, for all I would know. But he did promise that he would come back again, even if he had to drink hemlock all over again a thousand times over. The truth he sad, is worth at least a thousands deaths, rather than living a million lives of lies in the cave of shadows, figuratively speaking. 

Hemlock is Conium maculatum, from which an immaculate poison can be extracted, and which is also a larger relative of Aethusa cynapium "fools parsley," also a poisonous plant, which resembles culinary parsley to those with untrained eyes in the kitchen. That's why we selected this method of death, it was a sort of a joke, something like today's April 1st fool's day, since Socrates never died, really. Only his body did, as his soul went on to better grazing grounds, to Phthia.

CRITO: And what was the nature of the vision?
SOCRATES: There appeared to me the likeness of a woman, fair and comely,
clothed in bright raiment
, who called to me and said: O Socrates, ‘The third
day hence to fertile Phthia shalt thou go.’
CRITO: What a singular dream, Socrates!
SOCRATES: There can be no doubt about the meaning, Crito, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVzdNGX8syo

Fatima.jpeg

Edited by Pettytalk

6 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

Just to make the point clear, so that I do not appear to be preaching, I'm Plato. Or rather the soul who was once in the body of one known as Plato. 

So you are either a troll or crazy...... tough call.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Heads or tail?

1 hour ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Why a choice? Don't exclude either, and just let us call me a crazed troller.

Having eaten my daily portion of spinach, and wanting to do away with seeming appearances only, I can present my insane explanation as to why Plato's Atlantis is true story, But I must ask for your indulgence by giving me the benefit of doubt as to not being either crazy or an intentional troll. In turn, I'll try to present it, a little at a time, and by posing questions to anyone willing to give me their close attention, and participate by responding to the questions put forth by me.

First, I would like to ask both the experts and non-experts here, if we can, for the story of Atlantis, consider the symbolism of Poseidon as applying to ships, sea sailing, and sailors?

Edited by Pettytalk

12 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

Fatima.jpeg

Oh look, it's the re-titled, revised version of the Romanized Isis. Stars, white gown and all. 

Edited by Piney

On 5/27/2019 at 6:27 AM, atalante said:

I was describing forensic analysis of a plot detail that exists in most (if not all) translations of the Atlantis dialogues at Crit 108e.  

“Forensic” analysis?

Planning on taking Plato to court over it, are you?

—Jaylemurph

Edited by jaylemurph
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

“Forensic” analysis?

—Jaylemurph

I realize we are not exactly pals, but if Atalante will be the plaintiff, can we rely on you as the expert witness for the defendant?

53 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

“Forensic” analysis?

—Jaylemurph

He(Plato) has - for many years - caused a lasting public nuisance.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

He(Plato) has - for many years - caused a lasting public nuisance.

Is not ad hominem discouraged around this public forum?

2 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

Is not ad hominem discouraged around this public forum?

If Plato complains I'll apologize.....lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

If Plato complains I'll apologize.....lol

Not complaining, as I wanted to emphasize justice, public and private, as always. Still, apology accepted. And to make up for it, you can at least provide a reply to my question on symbolism, as to the plausibility that Poseidon was used to represent ships and sailors. You can ask Rupert for his opinion before you respond!

Thanks!

On 5/27/2019 at 11:46 AM, Piney said:

I think after Cayce Ben Jowett combusted in his grave.

Now Bronte Country is burning...........

The pistachio from Bronte is possibly the best in the world. Bronte was Lord Horatio Nelson's home away from home. He was the Duke of Bronte. And in keeping with my question on ships and sailors, he was one hell of sailor, a true Poseidon to his crew and ship, and eventually, a great Admiral, who was a true Captain and Master in the Royal Navy, a mighty fleet.

5 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

7AC69F13-A08A-4BA5-9DB1-844A85BC4684.jpeg.e5026e14e3feda8271f5b9c708fc1b12.jpeg

If that's your creation, you are a decent artist.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

If that's your creation, you are a decent artist.

Jesus no, I appropriated that from Pinterest.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

Not complaining, as I wanted to emphasize justice, public and private, as always. Still, apology accepted. And to make up for it, you can at least provide a reply to my question on symbolism, as to the plausibility that Poseidon was used to represent ships and sailors. You can ask Rupert for his opinion before you respond!

Thanks!

Oh do you think your Plato now huh? It's very clear you are not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 29/05/2019 at 2:45 PM, Hanslune said:

Oh do you think your Plato now huh? It's very clear you are not.

Well, you are right for now, as now I have left the idea of being Plato in favor of being Jesus. Therefore, for this now, I think I'm Jesus, although this is also not so clear to me, either. The only logical explanation is that I must be mad with so much admiration for these godly and divine men that I project myself into them, wanting to be like them. Perhaps an inferiority complex, or I have, again, fallen victim to my old split personality syndrome.

But really, I find it intriguing that it's clear to you that I'm not Plato, and yet, not clear to me that I I am. Can you shed some light on that?

And I apologize for this now. Therefore we are even on the apologies, unless you want to hear exactly how it went down with another Apology, straight from the horse's mouth, as sometimes I think I'm also Socrates. My only real, sane, fear is that in my madness I may want to be like one of you really smart guys around here. Or even more frightening, wanting to be like Trump. And if it comes down to me thinking I'm this last president of the USA, don't report me as a troll, but, please, do me a favor and call for the straight jacket.

Rupert ain't got a clue on why Plato used Poseidon as the symbol for the fathering of a whole new continent? A simple yes or no would do..

P.S. And I do not mean any of the typical symbolism given by the typical academic-wide opinions, such as being used to represent the mythical contest between Athena and Poseidon to win favor with the city of Athens.

• The topic was locked