Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is this Atlantis ... at the coast of Spain?

Van Gorp

7 hours ago, Piney said:

@Captain Risky

Thunderheart.....:lol:

......now I can't stop laughing.........

:lol:

I had to google that... :lol:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

I had to google that... :lol:

:o Val Kilmer's second worst movie....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

Is that person serious or is that parody?

Sadly, no it is not a parody. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Yes. i listened to the wind. if you wanna hear it come closer...

An attempt at bodily function humor? Intellectually consistent.

20 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

Take your own advice!

Such a pithy riposte.The rare excursion into brevity is, however, refreshing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Space Jews from Mars tried to build mind controlling pyramids and failed, cracking open the lower dimensions and releasing ghosts that destroyed Atlantis. 

Well, that’s just a little crazy.

16 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

i think Goblekli Tepe has already been done. 

Atlantis  wasn't Goblekli Tepe :)

9 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Atlantis  wasn't Goblekli Tepe :)

Yes you’re absolutely correct.

15 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

And what was the richness civilization in the west that Plato explained it was the richness in metals    ?,

One of the richest places for metal ores – copper and silver – is southern Spain

http://www.civilization.org.uk/intermezzo/tartessos

Cyprus.

Harte

17 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Space Jews from Mars tried to build mind controlling pyramids and failed, cracking open the lower dimensions and releasing ghosts that destroyed Atlantis. 

Well, that’s just a little crazy.

Rupert said that is just a myth based on the politics of Atlantean Parliament.

18 hours ago, Swede said:

Such a pithy riposte.The rare excursion into brevity is, however, refreshing.

Let me revive staleness for one on the sidelines with quotes from those really wise men. We are all equally free to be what we are not. And you are not what you think of yourself, my pithy friend.

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth, upon this continent, a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived, and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle field of that war. We come to dedicate a portion of it, as a final resting place for those who died here, that the nation might live. This we may, in all propriety do.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate we can not consecrate we can not hallow, this ground The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have hallowed it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here; while it can never forget what they did here.

It is rather for us, the living, we here be dedicated to the great task remaining before us that, from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they here, gave the last full measure of devotion that we here highly resolve these dead shall not have died in vain; that the nation, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

SOCRATES: O Menexenus! Death in battle is certainly in many respects a noble thing. The dead man gets a fine and costly funeral, although he may have been poor, and an elaborate speech is made over him by a wise man who has long ago prepared what he has to say, although he who is praised may not have been good for much. The speakers praise him for what he has done and for what he has not done–that is the beauty of them–and they steal away our souls with their embellished words; in every conceivable form they praise the city; and they praise those who died in war, and all our ancestors who went before us; and they praise ourselves also who are still alive, until I feel quite elevated by their laudations, and I stand listening to their words, Menexenus, and become enchanted by them, and all in a moment I imagine myself to have become a greater and nobler and finer man than I was before. And if, as often happens, there are any foreigners who accompany me to the speech, I become suddenly conscious of having a sort of triumph over them, and they seem to experience a corresponding feeling of admiration at me, and at the greatness of the city, which appears to them, when they are under the influence of the speaker, more wonderful than ever. This consciousness of dignity lasts me more than three days, and not until the fourth or fifth day do I come to my senses and know where I am; in the meantime I have been living in the Islands of the Blest. Such is the art of our rhetoricians, and in such manner does the sound of their words keep ringing in my ears.

34 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Rupert said that is just a myth based on the politics of Atlantean Parliament.

Atlantis has no Parliament....it's Congress!

Definition of congress

3: the supreme legislative body of a nation and especially of a REPUBLIC; the Congress of the United States.  And speaking of the definition in 1.B, let me offer this. 

I've learned to take both sides of the argument, because I'm one of those that leans more towards a wishful belief of a real Atlantis. However, I'm fully aware that the story of Atlantis, taken at face value, fails miserably when it comes to corroborating history and also finding any material artifacts to validate a reality to any part of the story. I like to fool myself by coming to a compromise. I compromised my sanity by believing there is something supernatural about the story of Atlantis, which contains a kind of hidden code. Moreover, I tend to believe that Plato's writings, both the works attributed to him and also that which the experts tend to consider spurious, have an embedded hidden meaning, which is other than what appears on the surface. 

Needless to say, I could never provide any rational explanations to anyone for the supernatural belief I have, nor logically explain how I came to my conclusions. I have a hard time accepting it myself, let alone expect others to accept it. I have my own hypothesis, which is solely based on personal instincts, personal experiences, and an unexplained revelation source (my imagination perhaps?)....It's too unbelievable for anyone else to put any credence in it.  And I know too well that I will never even be allowed to reach first base if I were to seriously attempt explaining it.

The bottom line, from an insane and supernatural point of view, is that the story of Atlantis contains lies as well as truth, and the key to understanding is to know which is which. For certain the timeline is a lie. Time and time again, those seeking Atlantis have never found any trace of her or any of the other mentioned players said to have existed around 9,600 BC. And anyone championing a real Atlantis, based on what Plato wrote on the surface, will always be beaten down by logic, history, and scientific data. 

And to put it in a different perspective, as to why there are always all these repetitive discussions on Atlantis, it is because there are those who like to be beaten, and also those that like to beat. In other words we have those that derive mental gratification from being scholastically humiliated and those that derive mental gratification from "dishing" it out. Or better put, we have mental masochists, and mental sadists, each needing the other in a symbiosis relationship. Mental gratification is much greater than rude physical coitus gratification. Why? Because the mind is the seat and center of the soul, and the soul is infinitely greater than any physical body it happens to be occupying at the moment.

Perhaps if you listen to "Journey to the Center of the Mind" you may be able to follow me, and then you will not be so fast and furious with your crude and nude remarks. Music is a powerful and entertaining way to communicate. And Socrates held that the highest level of music is true philosophy....the philosophy relating to the soul, and not the body.

17 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

And what was the richness civilization in the west that Plato explained it was the richness in metals    ?,

One of the richest places for metal ores – copper and silver – is southern Spain

http://www.civilization.org.uk/intermezzo/tartessos

I don't know how true this was.  In general, the mountainous areas of Europe and the Middle East were the source of ores and minerals and while Spain was important, iron and many other ores were more abundant in the regions near Germany and in and around Turkey as well.

Southern Spain doesn't seem to have as many as those areas.

On 3/30/2019 at 1:17 AM, Captain Risky said:

i think Goblekli Tepe has already been done. 

We could also delve into the mystery of Roanoake.

I think that a lot of the "lost civilizations" are actually generally KNOWN civilizations ... and most aren't actually civilizations.  

We might add Great Zimbabwe to the list, though.  Wikipedia has a list of some African empires though most are within historical times.  There are some Nile Valley ones that I haven't heard of, however: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_empires#Ancient_North_African_Empires

Another fun bunch is this list: http://listverse.com/2016/02/26/10-forgotten-kingdoms-lost-to-history/

I particularly like the old Visigoths.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

Well! Who is screwing who around here? But I was inferring the meaning in 3.

Oh those guys who thought they ran Atlantis? They actually ran the abattoir.

2 hours ago, Kenemet said:

I don't know how true this was.  In general, the mountainous areas of Europe and the Middle East were the source of ores and minerals and while Spain was important, iron and many other ores were more abundant in the regions near Germany and in and around Turkey as well.

Southern Spain doesn't seem to have as many as those areas.

w0DVMCK.jpg

This shows the MODERN view of ore deposits the ancients in some cases were not aware of them at that time or didn't care about them. It however gives a good idea of where ore was located - southern Spain has some but nothing usually impressive.

https://mrdata.usgs.gov/major-deposits/map-us.html

Edited by Hanslune
Added link
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kenemet said:

We could also delve into the mystery of Roanoake.

I think that a lot of the "lost civilizations" are actually generally KNOWN civilizations ... and most aren't actually civilizations.  

We might add Great Zimbabwe to the list, though.  Wikipedia has a list of some African empires though most are within historical times.  There are some Nile Valley ones that I haven't heard of, however: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_empires#Ancient_North_African_Empires

Another fun bunch is this list: http://listverse.com/2016/02/26/10-forgotten-kingdoms-lost-to-history/

I particularly like the old Visigoths.

We've had some pretty good ideas thrown around here lately.  I think I will start the thread shortly.  It will be a genuine lost civilization, not one that was an allegory and given credence from Edgar Cayce's overactive imagination.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

southern Spain has some but nothing usually impressive.

The ancients did know about the mica belt and it's various metal deposits. 

Time for Rupert to be taken to the retirement home. I think a drive to Shady Pines is in good order.

• The topic was locked