Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Van Gorp

Is this Atlantis ... at the coast of Spain?

2,216 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Piney
1 hour ago, atalante said:

inhabited by the Scythians

They never stepped foot in Spain until the Alans entered about 409 CE. 

 

1 hour ago, atalante said:

 settled in the island called by the Greeks Erythea,

 

Some placed Hesperides in Tartessos. Some in Benghazi.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cormac mac airt

Inconveniently for atalante Hesiod made NO connection between Erythea Island and southern Spain, as implied. It would be Greek writers centuries LATER that would make such a connection. 

cormac

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
36 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Inconveniently for atalante Hesiod made NO connection between Erythea Island and southern Spain, as implied. It would be Greek writers centuries LATER that would make such a connection. 

cormac

So it probably was somewhere near Benghazi..........I'm pulling from memories of crap I haven't read in ages and had no interest in. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cormac mac airt
1 minute ago, Piney said:

So it probably was somewhere near Benghazi..........I'm pulling from memories of crap I haven't read in ages and had no interest in. 

Well if it was an island near Cadiz, but NOT Cadiz, then 'somebody' certainly screwed up. :D

cormac

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
2 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Well if it was an island near Cadiz, but NOT Cadiz, then 'somebody' certainly screwed up. :D

cormac

Well, their Spanish Fly herb (silphium) did come from Libya so there is a connection.   

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8
7 hours ago, Piney said:

So what does this have to do with Jay's meme? Or what I said about them destroying the originals? :rolleyes:

@jmccr8

Hi Piney

I guess I am not on ignore yet, likely because I'm Irish and he doesn't want to miss out on that home grown humor.:lol:

Really all he has to do is wait about 6,000 yrs and he can actually meet me in Atlantis after I have been born.:rolleyes:

jmccr8

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8
10 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

. And Plato is pointing up because if you believe pettytalk on Atlantis, the delights of heaven await us, which are indescribable, but absolutely delicious.beyond your limited, and wildest imagination.

Hi Pettytalk

Well now we are getting somewhere, Atlantis is a mothership that will land in America in the future. Just because you have some religious construct does not mean that it is a valid point of view in a discussion. Especially if it cannot be supported with reliable documentation so to date all you have done is join in to be a protagonist for jest. Oh the terror of it all.:rolleyes::whistle:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jaylemurph
9 hours ago, atalante said:

Plato's original Greek audience would have understood that the territory of Gadeirus/Eumelus extended "from" Heracles's arrival-point in southern Spain (which Hesiod had called Erythia Island) - and the territory extended "to" the place modern people call Cadiz.

Ancient Greek's case system and use of prepositions for discussing motion up to/into/out of is conventional and very straightforward. I believe it's literally in chapter one of Hanson and Quinn's nigh-ubiquitous college textbook. Why not quote the original text and cite the exact terms used, so we all can see precisely how your alleged reading holds up?

...unless you /can't/....

--Jaylemurph 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pettytalk
6 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Pettytalk

Well now we are getting somewhere, Atlantis is a mothership that will land in America in the future. Just because you have some religious construct does not mean that it is a valid point of view in a discussion. Especially if it cannot be supported with reliable documentation so to date all you have done is join in to be a protagonist for jest. Oh the terror of it all.:rolleyes::whistle:

If you are, again, going to all the trouble of whistling a tune for me, try to at least be original, for Christ's sake. Spaceship Atlantis is not a novel proposal, and anyone can see it at the  Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex. Besides, I believe that you are wanting to jeer this fellow, as he is probably a sole source for mother ship Atlantis, but I could be wrong, Giorgio certainly tossed it out there to get people worked up, no doubt, as i don't believe someone as sharp as Giorgio would actually, seriously, propose it. And I'm sufficiently confident that he knows way more on Plato's writing than you do. By the way, are you a Plato reader? And what have you, carefully, read of Plato's works? And be honest, for your sake, and reputation. 

But as far as a general summation of where we stand on my Atlantis, all I can is that you are not sufficiently perceptive, nor keen enough to understand how my posts on Atlantis, in general, are telling the very truth of the matter.

But let me ask you another question, don't you tired of making the same silly remarks about my Atlantis, and also about me, personally?

To conclude here, I'm not out to convince anyone, as I have stated here long ago, and have also repeated it. I'm giving you and anyone else that reads my posts regarding Atlantis what I believe and know, and the proof of the pudding is in the eating, as the Irish say. Therefore, as in another saying, no one is forcing anything down your throat. If you don't like the taste then don't swallow it. There is no need to, repeatedly, insult the chef because your taste buds don't agree to the dish. Or put in another way, I was just giving out my blueprints on Atlantis, and if you cannot follow the design, then don't build it.

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
22 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

And be honest, for your sake, and reputation. 

:lol::lol::lol: LMAO-ROF  Biggest pot-kettle award yet! 

23 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

To conclude here, I'm not out to convince anyone, as I have stated here long ago, and have also repeated it. I'm giving you and anyone else that reads my posts regarding Atlantis what I believe and know, and the proof of the pudding is in the eating, as the Irish say. Therefore, as in another saying, no one is forcing anything down your throat.

No you just make vague threats and propose it will happen if nobody is a believer in your own special form of twisted Christianity. 

27 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

as sharp as Giorgio

A rubber ball is sharper that Giorgio and Jay is as sharp as obsidian. 

27 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

And I'm sufficiently confident that he knows way more on Plato's writing than you do

LMAO! :lol:  STOP! JUST STOP! :lol:

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
8 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

I guess I am not on ignore yet, likely because I'm Irish and he doesn't want to miss out on that home grown humor.:lol:

I'm not on "ignore". He's too nibby for that. He's just ignoring me, and throwing out little passive-aggressive digs.  :lol: 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8
1 hour ago, Pettytalk said:

o conclude here, I'm not out to convince anyone, as I have stated here long ago, and have also repeated it. I'm giving you and anyone else that reads my posts regarding Atlantis what I believe and know, and the proof of the pudding is in the eating, as the Irish say. Therefore, as in another saying, no one is forcing anything down your throat. If you don't like the taste then don't swallow it. There is no need to, repeatedly, insult the chef because your taste buds don't agree to the dish. Or put in another way, I was just giving out my blueprints on Atlantis, and if you cannot follow the design, then don't build it.

Hi Pettytalk

When you first started this revelation of yours I questioned you because you were not expressing your concept clearly and concisely because there are many subjects of interest here in the forum and expediency is appreciated as well as properly vetted documentation in support of a position. In your haste to dismiss me you clearly stated that you would not answer my questions at which time I gave fair warning that I would still engage you, now look at who is asking who questions.

I have never been your enemy and my light-hearted banter with you has not been meant as a detriment to you as an individual and you are quite quick to start fires of your own so maybe you are the source of your own frustration. You have seen how Walker and I challenge each other and I consider him a poster who engages with determination and respect the effort that he invests in his position and both of us enjoy each others participation which is why I call him a friend, you should hope for such worth in appreciation.

You are confusing your personal religious construct as historically valid and have an unreal expectation that it will be accepted as confirmation that your Atlantian perspective is correct which at present has not been properly disclosed as you want to spoon feed us rather than just fill up the plate and let us dig in.

Yes I have read ( not studied ) Plato as a philosopher and not a prophet which is how I read material of interest, objectively, and what you have given to date is highly subjective with little supporting documentation which is your responsibility not mine.

You called me 8 ball twice now and I let it slide last time but if you wanna see that can of whoop-ass I keep for crackers keep it up as you ain't seen nuttin yet boi.:D

 You keep loading the gun one day it's going to go boom.

jmccr8

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8
56 minutes ago, Piney said:

I'm not on "ignore". He's too nibby for that. He's just ignoring me, and throwing out little passive-aggressive digs.  :lol: 

Hi Piney

He loves the attention and plays the wounded duck to avoid worthwhile discussion because he cannot support his position and thinks flogging me with an imaginary god is going to change things, funny that.:lol:

jmccr8

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
atalante
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Piney said:

They [Skythians] never stepped foot in Spain until the Alans entered about 409 CE. 

 

Some placed Hesperides in Tartessos. Some in Benghazi.

Piney, 

My quote from Herodotus 4.8.1-2 was explaining that Heracles left  "the shore of Ocean near Gadira, outside the pillars of Heracles" and drove a herd of cattle to a distant land of the Skythians.

Edited by atalante
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pettytalk
2 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Pettytalk

When you first started this revelation of yours I questioned you because you were not expressing your concept clearly and concisely because there are many subjects of interest here in the forum and expediency is appreciated as well as properly vetted documentation in support of a position. In your haste to dismiss me you clearly stated that you would not answer my questions at which time I gave fair warning that I would still engage you, now look at who is asking who questions.

I have never been your enemy and my light-hearted banter with you has not been meant as a detriment to you as an individual and you are quite quick to start fires of your own so maybe you are the source of your own frustration. You have seen how Walker and I challenge each other and I consider him a poster who engages with determination and respect the effort that he invests in his position and both of us enjoy each others participation which is why I call him a friend, you should hope for such worth in appreciation.

You are confusing your personal religious construct as historically valid and have an unreal expectation that it will be accepted as confirmation that your Atlantian perspective is correct which at present has not been properly disclosed as you want to spoon feed us rather than just fill up the plate and let us dig in.

Yes I have read ( not studied ) Plato as a philosopher and not a prophet which is how I read material of interest, objectively, and what you have given to date is highly subjective with little supporting documentation which is your responsibility not mine.

You called me 8 ball twice now and I let it slide last time but if you wanna see that can of whoop-ass I keep for crackers keep it up as you ain't seen nuttin yet boi.:D

 You keep loading the gun one day it's going to go boom.

jmccr8

Thanks for taking so much of your time in response. However, as I said, you neither understand Plato, nor myself. It's hard to spoon feed when the children, emphatically, refuse the first spoonful, and will have no more, and just splash the food allover. You must really think me naive to take your questioning seriously, as all you were, and still are doing, is trying your hand at jeering. And what's this talk of loaded guns going boom, some sort of implied, menaicing threat?

And as far as the 8 ball goes, I have used it from the beginning as to the meaning of being "behind the eight ball", and in reference to the use of the number eight in your posting name, and which was one of my responses to you when you were jeering my own posting name, if you will recall. But apparently you don't even know what that means, as you are taking it as an insult, again. There is no need in trying to impress others with being cultured and well schooled, when in fact you lack street smarts. Apparently you never frequented pool halls.

behind the eight ball
phrase of eight ball
 
  1. informal
    at a disadvantage.
    "don't let cash-flow crises put you behind the eight ball"

Now I'm the one at a disadvantage, because I have to relinquish my high hopes of ever getting through to you. If you will, let us depart in peace, and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and last words, if you care to do that honor at my funeral of shame and blunder for having misled your thoughts so far astray. Mea culpa! May the God of my strange and doubtful religion forgive me.

dog-thinking.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
19 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

Thanks for taking so much of your time in response. However, as I said, you neither understand Plato, nor myself.

He understands completely. Don't try to bring him down to your level.

21 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

There is no need in trying to impress others with being cultured and well schooled, when in fact you lack street smarts. Apparently you never frequented pool halls.

He's a "Shut Down" supervisor for factories and power companies and one hell of a metal worker and climber. He actually has awesome street smarts and common sense because of this

VVV 

23 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

Now I'm the one at a disadvantage, because I have to relinquish my high hopes of ever getting through to you.

Which means he smart enough to know a word salad and bad theology when he sees it. 

When you hide your identity it is the first clue your a liar. If you were this great "prophet" you wouldn't hide behind a screen and show yourself. 

Most of us "long timers" no each other personally. 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8
1 hour ago, Pettytalk said:

Thanks for taking so much of your time in response. However, as I said, you neither understand Plato, nor myself. It's hard to spoon feed when the children, emphatically, refuse the first spoonful, and will have no more, and just splash the food allover. You must really think me naive to take your questioning seriously, as all you were, and still are doing, is trying your hand at jeering.

Hi Pettytalk

Your welcome,I am going to be quite direct in response as I am on lunch break with limited time. You are the only one to hold the belief that you have in interpreting Plato and underestimate those with whom you are trying to spoon feed. At the onset of these discussions with you my questions were relevant to the discussion and you refused to engage telling me that I was moving to far ahead of your disclosure and that you would dawdle along until all of us revered you for the teacher that you see yourself as.

Many of the people here that you are trying to express your thoughts to are intelligent and highly educated, I would be the odd man out academically but as far as comprehension and adaptability I am certified in three trades and very experienced in several aspects of the construction/fabrication industry not to mention other skills so I am well past taking toddler steps and productivity and accuracy are a priority for me and if someone cannot take an interest in creating a proper working environment I tend to push them with humor.I am no where near as bitter about life as you have expressed here in your interactions with other members.

1 hour ago, Pettytalk said:

And as far as the 8 ball goes, I have used it from the beginning as to the meaning of being "behind the eight ball", and in reference to the use of the number eight in your posting name, and which was one of my responses to you when you were jeering my own posting name, if you will recall. But apparently you don't even know what that means, as you are taking it as an insult, again. There is no need in trying to impress others with being cultured and well schooled, when in fact you lack street smarts. Apparently you never frequented pool halls.

My name is McCreight and I use jmccr8 as a short-hand just as many others with the same name as a google search will show that there are several of us including a female politician in the States and calling me 8 ball is derogatory as I had explained to you the first time so I do not give a flying fig about your reference to pool accept it or accept the consequences.

Yes I do play pool many times by myself when I want to unwind for a couple of hours, I usually play rotation because it make you play the table to set up your next shot.

most people here understand that I have admitted to having lived a different life and am not their peer academically and for some socially so there is no need to impress anyone as they know where I come from and accept me for putting in an effort to learn over the last 10 years of membership here.

2 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

Now I'm the one at a disadvantage, because I have to relinquish my high hopes of ever getting through to you. If you will, let us depart in peace, and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and last words, if you care to do that honor at my funeral of shame and blunder for having misled your thoughts so far astray. Mea culpa! May the God of my strange and doubtful religion forgive me.

Look Pettytalk we do not have to be at odds here, when I first joined I had no computer skills and no experience with this medium of interaction so I had trouble effectively communicating my thoughts and the very people that you have alienated yourself from were the mentors that saw I was having trouble and were good enough to help me adapt and learn to use new tools to better interact here. Whatever you chose to do is your choice in this last bit you are feigning and not being honest with me or you, no one is asking you not to believe what you do only to express in in terms that can be understood and to invest some time into supporting your position with credible documentation other than religious texts and something that would solidify your interpretation of Plato's works.

jmccr8 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8
1 hour ago, Piney said:

He understands completely. Don't try to bring him down to your level.

He's a "Shut Down" supervisor for factories and power companies and one hell of a metal worker and climber. He actually has awesome street smarts and common sense because of this

VVV 

Which means he smart enough to know a word salad and bad theology when he sees it. 

When you hide your identity it is the first clue your a liar. If you were this great "prophet" you wouldn't hide behind a screen and show yourself. 

Most of us "long timers" no each other personally. 

 

Thanks Piney

jmccr8

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
atalante
11 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

Ancient Greek's case system and use of prepositions for discussing motion up to/into/out of is conventional and very straightforward. I believe it's literally in chapter one of Hanson and Quinn's nigh-ubiquitous college textbook. Why not quote the original text and cite the exact terms used, so we all can see precisely how your alleged reading holds up?

...unless you /can't/....

--Jaylemurph 

Jay,

My paraphrase of archaic Greek geography (and most especially what Plato's contemporaries would understand from 114b) was better than yours.  Your paraphrase was completely blank.  If you post your paraphrase, I will critique it for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
54 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

At the onset of these discussions with you my questions were relevant to the discussion and you refused to engage telling me that I was moving to far ahead of your disclosure and that you would dawdle along until all of us revered you for the teacher that you see yourself as.

He did this with everyone. Posted in a long winded wall of text trying to look brilliant. 

All he did for me is prove a old Japanese saying "You can be clever and still not smart". 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
docyabut2
On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:28 PM, docyabut2 said:

it was a small country of GADES  

map-of-gades.jpg

I guess why I keep repeating my self :)

why did the story said Atlantis was facing this small country in the ancient time?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cormac mac airt
20 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

I guess why I keep repeating my self :)

why did the story said Atlantis was facing this small country in the ancient time?   

In 9600 BC THERE WAS NO ISLAND as Cadiz was part of the mainland. 

cormac

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
docyabut2
6 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

In 9600 BC THERE WAS NO ISLAND as Cadiz was part of the mainland. 

cormac

You know it had to  be in the 1500 bc `s the namings of the kings of Athens :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cormac mac airt
2 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

You know it had to  be in the 1500 bc `s the namings of the kings of Athens :)

You know that’s NOT when Plato placed it. 

cormac

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Swede
5 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Pettytalk

Your welcome,I am going to be quite direct in response as I am on lunch break with limited time. You are the only one to hold the belief that you have in interpreting Plato and underestimate those with whom you are trying to spoon feed. At the onset of these discussions with you my questions were relevant to the discussion and you refused to engage telling me that I was moving to far ahead of your disclosure and that you would dawdle along until all of us revered you for the teacher that you see yourself as.

Many of the people here that you are trying to express your thoughts to are intelligent and highly educated, I would be the odd man out academically but as far as comprehension and adaptability I am certified in three trades and very experienced in several aspects of the construction/fabrication industry not to mention other skills so I am well past taking toddler steps and productivity and accuracy are a priority for me and if someone cannot take an interest in creating a proper working environment I tend to push them with humor.I am no where near as bitter about life as you have expressed here in your interactions with other members.

My name is McCreight and I use jmccr8 as a short-hand just as many others with the same name as a google search will show that there are several of us including a female politician in the States and calling me 8 ball is derogatory as I had explained to you the first time so I do not give a flying fig about your reference to pool accept it or accept the consequences.

Yes I do play pool many times by myself when I want to unwind for a couple of hours, I usually play rotation because it make you play the table to set up your next shot.

most people here understand that I have admitted to having lived a different life and am not their peer academically and for some socially so there is no need to impress anyone as they know where I come from and accept me for putting in an effort to learn over the last 10 years of membership here.

Look Pettytalk we do not have to be at odds here, when I first joined I had no computer skills and no experience with this medium of interaction so I had trouble effectively communicating my thoughts and the very people that you have alienated yourself from were the mentors that saw I was having trouble and were good enough to help me adapt and learn to use new tools to better interact here. Whatever you chose to do is your choice in this last bit you are feigning and not being honest with me or you, no one is asking you not to believe what you do only to express in in terms that can be understood and to invest some time into supporting your position with credible documentation other than religious texts and something that would solidify your interpretation of Plato's works.

jmccr8 

 

Simply cannot "like" this contribution enough. Well done.

.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.