Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Holiday Cooking Tricks and Tips

Not A Rockstar

16 minutes ago, tcgram said:

It's a pretty simple dessert. 

1 box brownie mix (9x13 size)

2 large boxes instant chocolate pudding mix

6 Heath (or skor) bars, broken into small pieces (I find that if they are frozen it's easier)  

1 large container extra creamy cool whip (or 2 small ones)  

Make brownie and pudding mixes according to directions.   Let pudding set in fridge and brownies cool.  In a large bowl, crumble half the brownies, put half the pudding mixture on top and spread.  Top with half the cool whip, then half the candy bars.  Layer in the same order and refrigerate until ready to serve.  I have found that making it the same day works better than making it ahead.  I usually chill for about an hour before serving.  

Oh wow... that is to die for! The Heath bars make that extra special. Might have to try that before Thanksgiving. :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jenn8779 said:

Oh wow... that is to die for! The Heath bars make that extra special. Might have to try that before Thanksgiving. :whistle:

You can also make a smaller version using the 8x8 size brownie mix and then using half the other ingredients.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jenn8779 said:

This isn't for eating but my mom used to put several large oranges studded with cloves around and they just smelled so good. I'm thinking I'll do that this year.. just to remember her and enjoy it

we used to do that when I was young, and wrap it in net and secure with a ribbon then hang in closets for the coming year. Forgot about that.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

we used to do that when I was young, and wrap it in net and secure with a ribbon then hang in closets for the coming year. Forgot about that.

Now hanging them is an idea.... that would keep the cats from knocking them over... because they will lol

• Like 1

Talking last night and remembered a molded jello we had many years ago at a pot luck which was cranberry. I remember it had cranberries in it and some other things which escape me now - it was a full little jello.

Anyone have a good recipe for something like this? I suspect after considering our local shelves that it was cherry jello with cranberries and other things in it?

What say you experts?

And how about an oldie we also recalled of lime jello with (we think) cottage cheese and nuts and maybe even pineapple in it (however no marshmallows - its not that recipe).

Any special jello hits out there?

Check this out for the cranberry salad/jello I was wondering about. It calls for raspberry instead of cherry jello.

https://www.yummly.com/recipe/Grandma_s-Cranberry_orange-Gelatin-Salad-Allrecipes?prm-v1

This sounds like the lime jello that was so awesome :)

https://www.yummly.com/recipe/Grandma_s-Lime-Green-Jello-Salad-Recipe-_with-Cottage-Cheese-_-Pineapple_-1721880?prm-v1

Edited by Not A Rockstar
added the lime recipe

Easy Four Ingredient Peppermint Bark

Needed: 

Baking dish or cookie sheet with higher sides lined with parchment paper

12 oz bag Dark or Semi Sweet Meltable Baking Chocolate

11oz bag White Meltable Baking Chocolate

1 teaspoon Peppermint Extract

Peppermints, Beaten to Hell

Don't skimp on the chocolate, ok? Not all of it is created equal. I use Ghirardelli because it's hard to go wrong and it isn't outrageously priced. Quantities are what they are for the individual bags of semi sweet and white, respectively. 

Melt the semi sweet or dark chocolate in a bowl via the double boiler method, stirring as it melts. This can also be done in the microwave for thirty second intervals. When melted, stir well, spread it into the baking pan and allow it to set completely. You can put it in the fridge to set faster.

Do the same with the white, careful not to burn it. When done, stir in about a teaspoon of extract. Pour over the semi sweet chocolate, sprinkle any amount of peppermints to taste and allow to fully harden. Done.

You can really add pretty much any candy or other confection on top and the amounts of chocolate aren't set in stone, either. Again, don't cheap out on the damn bags of chocolate and be the relative that everyone talks crap about for years to come. Add crushed cookies, other kinds of candy, or whatever.

Or nuts. Giggity.