Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lockheed begins work on new supersonic plane

UM-Bot

Speaking as a trans-Atlantic flyer on a few occasions, THIS would be a very welcome addition to the options.  3 hours beats 10-11 any day...

• Like 2

I worked for these folks for many years. They always have something cool in R&D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jenn8779 said:

I worked for these folks for many years. They always have something cool in R&D

My daughter is hoping for an interview with them soon.  She finishes an engineering degree next year and apparently, defense contractors are the main source of work for her specialty.  If she gets an offer, I pray it will land her in Texas and not Cali :( 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

The father of the Dambusters mission!  Brilliant man...

Imagine being the pilot travelling nearly 1K miles per hour at 55K feet with hundreds of passengers... Much respect to them because that would be very intense. Most people really can't understand that at that speed your veryy vulnerable to anything.

• Like 1

The sonic boom issue, age and its outmoded analog control sytems saw Concorde into retirement but the real obstacle to development of supersonic flight is that it has no commercial viability when pitched against conventional aircraft. One issue with Concorde was its pencil slim fuselage which limited the number of paying passengers and creature comforts on board. Increasing the size of the fuselage comes with enormously prohibitive running costs, not to speak of the engineering problems involved.  Commercial airlines can make more money transporting people via subsonic aircraft. 

• Like 1