Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Still Waters

A school in Merseyside has banned pupils from wearing expensive designer coats in a bid to stop "poverty-shaming" among its students.

In a letter to parents, Woodchurch High School in Birkenhead said pupils would not be allowed to wear branded coats such as Moncler, Pyrenex and Canada Goose.

Head teacher Rebekah Phillips said pupils and parents supported the move.

However, some people on Twitter have called the ban "absolutely ridiculous".

The labels banned by the school include children's sizes which sell for between £400 and £1,000.

The ban will be introduced after the Christmas holidays.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-46221556

• Thanks 1

I hope the posh kids don't asks mommy and daddy to buy them a new school for Christmas ...

~

This is stupid. People should be allowed whatever they wish. But I understand that in some schools they have uniforms.

• Like 1

From what me pals have said about this skull mockery, the coats mentioned here is the personal fashion statements over the school kits,

~

It can work both ways. When my other half's 2 kids were at their first school (before I got with her) they were bullied constantly for wearing expensive designer clothing. It wasn't a poor area either. Even now, her youngest (17) won't wear his Canada Goose coat when he's hanging out with his less affluent friends. 

Its not just wealth disparity , kids being teens , fancy posh togs just doesn't make sense with the rumble and tumble teens and kids gets up and into on the school yard . and also there's the problems of misplacing of personal items or being lost due to carelessness , then it just snowballs into all sorts of stupid things the young 'uns do to try and set things right

~

Edited by third_eye
brewing storm distraction
  • Like 1

I grew up watching TV dramas like Upstairs Downstairs, The House of Eliott, and Jeeves and Wooster.  So when I went to high school I was bullied because my voice was far more polite and civilised than theirs, and the other kids thought I was really wealthy and better than they were simply because I spoke politely and had good manners.  I had no idea myself, because I just took for granted that good manners was a basic fact of life and not a sign of privilege.  The irony was that my family were poor and the teachers looked down on my mother because she used to pay for my school milk and my school trips with the copper pennies she had saved up in a jar.  We left that school because my mother thought the teachers were far too snobby and one of the teachers was bullying my elder brother who ended up in hospital because he was refusing to eat because of that teacher.  I was the 4th child to be born in my family and I could not have my lunch at the school canteen because we could not afford the meals by that stage, so I ate a pack lunch on my own outside.  The other kids thought I was 'too good to eat with them' and this just increased their hatred upon me.  When I got into a fight with another kid the headmaster told me to ignore the other pupils in my class, and this just increased the negative feeling they had - 'he doesn't play with us because he thinks he's better than us'.

I think banning expensive coats and jackets will do nothing in the long-run.  Bullies will continue to bully no matter what.

Edited by Aaron2016
  • Like 3

so instead of doing 1 thing that helps kids (teach them self defense, self respect, confidence, and fight bullies) they do everything else that does not work,   god forbid someone will defend themselves, and show others how to fight bullies, no, can't have that happen.

Edited by aztek