Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Torch turned on by itself

IBelieveWhatIWant

This just happened a couple of minutes ago. I have this mini torch/flash light (X-Files branded). So I was at my computer (middle of the day) and I looked over and saw it was on, (it's hanging by my backpack clip and it physically needs to be pressed in by the top to turn on and off). Anyway, called my Mum's partner down to witness this ****. When he was down here, I tried to turn it off by pressing the top, no luck. Unclipped it from the backpack and was holding it at this point, tried turning it off again, no luck. Took it out of my room and as soon as it passed the door frame, it turned off by itself. Then I tried to turn it on and off and it's working perfectly. Took it back into my room and it works perfectly again.

I do believe in spirits and ghosts and the paranormal (due to past experiences) but I do look for "reasonable" explanations after I immediately jump ghosts, so my first thought were there connectors but they look perfectly fine. I can't think of any other possibilities other than paranormal or connectors. Any idea what it could mean if it were spirits or any other "reasonable" explanation?

Probably a malfunction. got one with a piece of metal in front of the torch which turned on when one of my keys touched the metal.

Edited by Avalanche
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Avalanche said:

Probably a malfunction 

I'm guessing so too but the fact that it turned off as soon as I left my room with it makes me think otherwise.

EDIT: The thing with a random piece of metal is that it's been hanging there for months no issue. I'd think if it were a piece of metal it would've happened after a week or so

Edited by IBelieveWhatIWant
Added details

2 minutes ago, IBelieveWhatIWant said:

I'm guessing so too but the fact that it turned off as soon as I left my room with it makes me think otherwise.

Gremlins :-)

3 hours ago, IBelieveWhatIWant said:

The thing with a random piece of metal is that it's been hanging there for months no issue. I'd think if it were a piece of metal it would've happened after a week or so

A change in temperature (even gradual) could make the metal strip bend or twist.

Edited by acute
  • Like 1

Join the fun in this thread. It's a bit out of place in one sense, since the ghostly flashlight gag, which is a staple of paranormal entertainment shows, came up as a religious issue. But the thread isn't out of place in another sense, since the phenomenon has nothing whatsoever to do with spirits, even if such things were known to exist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Less-well designed led torches (ie 95% of them) are known to flicker on/off or just spuriously switch on if they have dying batteries or slightly corroded terminals thereof.

• Thanks 1

On 11/18/2018 at 9:51 PM, IBelieveWhatIWant said:

This just happened a couple of minutes ago. I have this mini torch/flash light (X-Files branded). So I was at my computer (middle of the day) and I looked over and saw it was on, (it's hanging by my backpack clip and it physically needs to be pressed in by the top to turn on and off). Anyway, called my Mum's partner down to witness this ****. When he was down here, I tried to turn it off by pressing the top, no luck. Unclipped it from the backpack and was holding it at this point, tried turning it off again, no luck. Took it out of my room and as soon as it passed the door frame, it turned off by itself. Then I tried to turn it on and off and it's working perfectly. Took it back into my room and it works perfectly again.

I do believe in spirits and ghosts and the paranormal (due to past experiences) but I do look for "reasonable" explanations after I immediately jump ghosts, so my first thought were there connectors but they look perfectly fine. I can't think of any other possibilities other than paranormal or connectors. Any idea what it could mean if it were spirits or any other "reasonable" explanation?

I would expect this with a flashlight always a lose connection with the batteries and all. But i see what you are saying one time 20 years ago soneone turned on my sink and left it running and i turned it off and complained about it and we were standing there next to the sink talking and the sink just turned back on full bladt. It was a regular twist knob i definitely couldnt figure out an explanation for that one.

• Like 2

On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:51 AM, IBelieveWhatIWant said:

Were you in a trance state when it happened either from being tired or daydreaming or being focused on something?

Let me guess, 9 LED, aluminium construction, takes a cartridge that holds 3 AAA batteries?

The X files version came as a loot case exclusive, if it's the one I'm thinking of. 

Can get them in the UK at Poundland, they are cheap, perfectly cheap! 

I've got a large collection of torches, these are a disgrace. 

Contacts within the switch fur up and short out. 

As for turning off, contacts could of been disturbed by changing angle of the torch, sometimes heat from it being held can disturb the shorted contacts. 

Edited by Redefining Success

On 19/11/2018 at 5:51 AM, IBelieveWhatIWant said:

Any idea what it could mean if it were spirits or any other "reasonable" explanation?

spirits don't exist so I'd go for a  "reasonable" explanation