Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dr Tony Jinks - The Disappearing Object Pheno

macqdor

Dr Tony Jinks - The Disappearing Object Phenomenon (DOP)

A surprisingly large number of people claim to have lost a personal item in, ‘unusual circumstances’. The typical example involves a household object or possession, such as an apple, spoon, purse or key. These articles are placed in a location and later found to be missing, seemingly, for no apparent reason. There are internet sites dedicated to recounting tales of anomalous object disappearances, as well as mysterious appearances, reappearances and replacements. This presentation will examine various characteristic patterns found in a collection of over 400 case studies, and discuss how these patterns might assist in understanding the origins of the DOP experience. Recent findings from two research studies (conducted in 2015/2016) examining putative psychological traits underlying DOP.

• Like 1

@macqdor      It is over an hour long video. Can you give us a synopsis of what Dr. Tony Jinks will tell us?

Also, I am a believer in paranormally disappearing and relocating items. What's new I'm sure the skeptics will say, but let me share my own honestly told story:

There is an alleged prankster discarnate entity fairly well-known on the internet through the work of his living mother. I asked this alleged prankster verbally into the open air, to play a prank on me. Well, within the next few days I noticed my neck pillow that I use when on the computer was nowhere to be found in its usual location.  Note: I live alone and have no pets. I went through my entire condominium lifting couch cushions and under couches and everywhere to no avail. I gave up confused. Later I went into my locked car in my enclosed garage and there was the neck pillow sitting in the middle of the driver side backseat of my car. Even that, being a skeptic, I tried to think of a sequence of errors and forgetfulness on my part to explain this. Yes, I can think skeptically. I wasn't satisfied by any skeptical explanation either, so I would just have to leave it at that.  Well a day or so later, I parked in my enclosed garage as normal and when I went to enter my condominium, the door was locked. I NEVER LOCK THIS DOOR and would have required some unusual special effort for me to have done so. I KNOW that didn't happen.

Now another lady on the internet related an even better story than mine with this very same alleged prankster spirit. She had asked to be pranked and when she was getting ready to leave for work, her shoe closet had only right-foot shoes. She called out the alleged prankster name, saying 'what the heck'. She soon found a pile of left-foot shoes under a blanket in her house. 

• Like 2

Just heard a podcast on Mysterious Universe about this.  They had some pretty weird anecdotes.

• Like 1

papageorge1

he breaks down the phenomena known as DOP (Disappearing Objects)   Explains its origins. The different types and ultimately at the end what he think the root cause is.

Very educational.   I dont agree with all of his assessments, but I found the overall presentation very enlightening.    He taught me some things.

29 minutes ago, macqdor said:

papageorge1

he breaks down the phenomena known as DOP (Disappearing Objects)   Explains its origins. The different types and ultimately at the end what he think the root cause is.

Very educational.   I dont agree with all of his assessments, but I found the overall presentation very enlightening.    He taught me some things.

I want to learn some things too without watching an hour video, can you please fill me in on what he thought the cause was?

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess alcohol? That tends to be the biggest factor in disappearing things in my experience. I would still consider quantum tunneling to be the most accurate description though, minus the scale requirements.

I want to learn some things too without watching an hour video, can you please fill me in on what he thought the cause was?

He basis his assessment off of 400 D.O.P. cases he feels are legit.   The one's that he and his org actually vetted and researched on.  Alcohol as a cause would not have been a use case.  

Long story short he thinks D.O.P is a form of RSPK (Recurrent Spontaneous Psychokinesis) .    Thats where him and i partially disagree.